Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Thanks Phil:
I think you are very correct. The body shape and interior structure of the front clip definitely makes basic placement of some components the same. Worked on the upper mounts today for a bit.

Gas tanks were started a while back. I had them 5052 .125 thick material bent in a U shape. I totally under estimated the force it would take to bend the outside leg inward about 30 degrees. So when you cannot muster enough force. Lessen the force needed. The tanks are 48" long so using the drill and jig saW.
I cut two 12" long slots along the outside leg brake line leaving two 6" segments and one 12" segment where the leg was not cut. To relieve the amount of force needed to bend it by half.
it worked and my drivers side gas tank is bent to shape. Of course the guy welding these for me has 24" more welding to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 266
Been a busy weekend fired the heater in the garage on Friday night. Garage was comfortable to work in as it has been cold and raining here.
Pulled the rear clip off to trim some more and to get it fitting. After studying many photos of the Headers on the GTD chassis. I realized that the engine was to far forward and that had to move it backward about 3 inches. All the GTDs seem to have the matching headers to my set. I kind of took a guess when fabricating the rear cross member area of my chassis. From studying the photos it revealed the cross member upright posts were about 2 inches to tall. Trimmed them 2" and slid the engine back. Had to trim the inner clip ducting a little. But now the clip rests in position and not on the headers.

Got a few other thing done. Decided where the fuse box is going to go. Bill's photos helped a lot. The battery is going to be on the passenger side rear. Fuse box lower bulk head just above side pod. Put all the wires going to the dash area in 1/2" split wire harness tubing I picked up at Harbor freight a while ago. The harness is ready to run down the center of the car in the coolant tube tunnel.

Worked on the gas tank for the passenger side today. Cut the slots as I did with drivers side so I can bend it. Also added vent hole and access hole for adjusting gas gauge sending units and cleaning tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 335
Needed to make interior door handles. Opened a box in my garage that was from my move to North Carolina. Found a bunch of handles from some 2 lever shifters I used to make years ago. Ah ha interior door handles.

Attachments

• doorhandle.jpg
    doorhandle.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 280
The second fuel tank is now ready for welding. Also cut the supports for the front clip.

Attachments

• passenger tank.jpg
    passenger tank.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 228
  • support.jpg
    support.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 246

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Steady on Dave...

Your shift-lever door-handle reminds me of myself going through my many scrap / old project bins looking for the right donor for the need..

Merry Christmas!

In a couple months I will hit the 6 year mark on this build. My wife is a wonderful an patient person. This Christmas confirmed she is still on board with my build. She gave me a really nice set of valve covers and a matching oval air cleaner, a set of dual 12" fans with relay harness and a nice billet distributor.

Bill:
Good inspiration.

This years goal a running and rolling 40. As for the running part ordered piston rings today and the rolling part ordered the front tires also.

Started the day with a trip to the Harbor Freight store. Picked up a threaded nut installation tool and some rubber grommets for the 40.
Stopped by the Auto parts store to get a piece of 1 5/8" exhaust tubing guess auto parts stores no longer carry short lengths of exhaust tubing.
Installed the 12" cooling fans on the radiator that I got for Christmas.
Took some measurements for new valve springs I had to order for the engine. Got those ordered and some new pushrods also. Painted my coil and bracket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
More bits and pieces arriving in the last few days. front tires, wiper motor, push rods, valve springs, piston rings, ignition box and more to come. Off to tire shop tomorrow at lunch to have the tires mounted.

Got the front tires mounted the other day. Spent Saturday massaging piston skirts to clear the stroker crank. It has been a while since I have put an engine together but I am enjoying it. I am excited at the thought hearing this thing run for the first time.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Zollis I enjoyed your build thread also.
Saturday took a trip to the pull a part. Picked up some radiator hoses to temporarily plumb the radiator for engine start.
Today I finished up the clearancing of the piston skirts for the crank counter weights. Used a dremel to hand clearance each one and a pin I made on the lathe at work to test fit the pistons in the block.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 210

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Great going Dave! Nice to see progress from a fellow builder, keeps you going :thumbsup:.

I like your wheels, where did you get them from? They don't look like usual offset for GT40.

Regards,
Renato

Hi Renato:
The wheels are FR500 mustang wheels. I got them from a place called Wheel Replicas. The offsets are better suited to Mustangs. I am having to build custom rear uprights in order to use them. Tried to use CAV rear uprights but would not work.

Well in 2008 when the economy took a dive. Some of my extra money seemed to go right along with it. The kids,the cars, the house come first. The forty some where after that. The forged pistons I wanted cut from the budget, the floating wrist pin rods they went along with the aluminum heads In the late eighties and early nineties I put together several engines for my buddies Ford Torino Street stock car. We used stock rods and plain old cast flat top pistons. We beat the snot out of that old car 15 to 20 nights a year. We never had a crank or rod failure so with that in mind got some hyperutectic pistons and using stock rods that have been magna fluxed and checked. Because this is a stroker it will not see super high Rpms any way. So after saying All that my pistons are mounted the the rods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 229
Back