Got Horns?

As a reminder, I am somewhat new here.

Of all the posts and information I have read, I am asking for some feedback on Horns.

Of the examples of photos posted here, I would be curious to see examples of how and where you mounted your horn(s), and a little information to what decible the horn is rated at.

My thought is......a GT40 may not be as visable as a Ford F-350 pickup, and as a result, someone may make a lane change and not see you are there.....so a little toot of the horn may be needed to alert the other driver........but, for me, I would like a horn that the other guy could HEAR.

Thanks in advance for an opportunity to learn from you all!
rockonsmile:chug::lurker:

I have the Hella Supertone horns
85115.jpg

Sound level is 118db. They're a little higher tone than domestic car horns. More of a European sound, but freakin' LOUD!

I have mine mounted in the front light boxes behind the headlights. The sound comes out through the inlet ducts.

front%20clip%20wiring%20002.jpg

front%20clip%20wiring%20003.jpg

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I can't complain about how loud the standard horns are on my CAV, but I can complain about the location and ease of use of the horn button itself.....the one time I needed to use it fast I fumbled around with it long enough that using it became moot -

I am thinking of relocating the button to a position on the steering wheel.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here is where my Horns are mounted, they are air horns and work well.
I cant remember the brand, but will have a look tonight if you wish.
Dash mounted button, but awkward to get at in a hurry.

Attachments

• 43023-horn.jpg
    43023-horn.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
I bought an electric horn, rated at 121dB, as I remember. The loudest of the ones I looked at, but they were all within a few dB of each other.

I mounted it as far forward as possible, in an opening, so that the maximum sound went at whatever needed to get out of the way. Since the photo, I've raised it so that it's not visible, unless you're kneeling right down.

The horn is operated from a stalk on the steering column. I used XD Falcon stalks for this reason. No horn button to complicate the removable steering wheel.

Lance

Attachments

• Front View.JPG
    Front View.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 500

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Fiamm Air Horns - very loud. Compressor is the blue cylinder on the bulkhead.

All operated from the centre steering-wheel button & a relay.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0916 (Large).jpg
    DCP_0916 (Large).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 509

Malcolm

Supporter
My horn is quite pathetic compared to your lot! No idea how loud but it is there just for the MoT test. I have driven 27,000 miles in my car and never once had to use it in anger. And we have plenty of idiots on our roads here in South East UK. FWIW it is mounted under the nostril section just in front of the pedal box.

Bill, unless you have a cover for the light box, you may find you fill your horn up with all kinds of road dirt/water off the front wheel. And if you have a light box cover, won't that dampen the horn output? Or maybe you just want a horn to get you through government road test?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I used the same setup as Bill D. I still can't hear after I touched the hot lead while installing them. :p: They are LOUD!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I suspect Bill cleans his horns out just by using them.

Funny thing about horn use - you really don't know when you're going to need it.

Last edited:
When I first started this thread, I did not realize to include the horn button location.......but you folks are great, because you included this information in your replies.

It is interesting about how people used different horn button locations, and this leads me to................

Why not use the center button on the steering wheel. Do mfgs make it difficult to wire a horn button there?

Thanks so much for your information............

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I guess anything is possible....but my column is solid and I hate drill into it for wire access.

I am going to put a small red button in the spoke of the wheel, I think.

Malcom
The horns are covered by the light box. They are also offset from the air inlet. The aire inlet is plumbed as an inlet to cool the brakes (see below). Since there is complete flowthru, any debris should move through the inlet to the brakes.

brake%20ducts%20011.jpg

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Pat's latest comment got me to thinking about how and where I'd prefer to mount a horn button in the car. For me, drilling holes is pretty much out of the question because of the reproduction steering wheel I obtained last year, however, reaching for a switch on the dash doesn't seem like a wise choice should I ever have to go evasive when some inattentive soccer mom driving a tank pops into traffic without so much as a glance. And there are just too damned many of them in my part of the world!

So I went to looking. While I wasn't able to locate anything reasonable (to me) which could be mounted ON the steering wheel, I did find a little something that should mount just under the wheel and, in the case of the dual-button set up, the second button could even be used for intermittent use of driving lites or even line-lock should some one opt for that method of parking brake.

Here's the model numbers:
Sparco 015NE981 (single button)
Sparco 015NE982 (dual button)

Attachments

• horn button 1.jpg
    horn button 1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 360
  • horn button 2.jpg
    horn button 2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 372
Ron, what is that thing on the left side of the photo with two black hoses and a blue hose running in to it?

Ron, what is that thing on the left side of the photo with two black hoses and a blue hose running in to it?

Looks like an electric waterpump but I can't figure out the function of the blue line....maybe a bleed line???

Ron McCall

Supporter

Tim is absolutely right! It is made by Meziere and flows 55gpm.It works great!
The thing on the other side is the thermostat housing.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Recently Seattle law enforcement have begun to ticket unecessary use of the horn. The fine $124. Hence it is no longer appropriate to honk if you are horney!

Hold that honk: Car horns are for safety only

RCW 46.37.380: Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device may emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

Back