Great example of a Politician's utter stupidity?

Just heard MP Tessa Munt on the daily politics show, discussing flood protection.

I kid you not, she just said that we should build houses on stilts, so that your car can be kept at low level, so that your carpets are safe from flooding!

I'd rather replace a carpet, than a car! Oh well, some women! :furious:

Keith

Well clearly Mark, your car needs to go on the roof, that would keep it perfectly safe.

Cars are expendable - homes are not:

Proper flood protected professionally built house.

Note the position of the garage:

Same the world over..

Just heard MP Tessa Munt on the daily politics show, discussing flood protection.

I kid you not, she just said that we should build houses on stilts, so that your car can be kept at low level, so that your carpets are safe from flooding!

I'd rather replace a carpet, than a car! Oh well, some women! :furious:

So no mention of desilting the rivers,clearing all the crap out of the ditches and streams,clearing all the culverts and blocked gulleys, organising the flood planes and getting a proper strategy with the relevant funding to reverse the chaos caused by 20 plus years of total neglect.:dead::dead::bash::bash:

We will put the houses on stilts, WTF. Does this woman draw a salary ??

Bob

Keith

Not so much total neglect as developers driving a coach and horses through the planning laws backed up by the likes of John Prescott and building estates on flood plains, diverting rivers, streams, damming and filling in ditches.

Local Authorities were (are) powerless to stop them as soon as housebuilding numbers become an 'election issue'

Whats wrong with a house on stilts and a boat in the garage??

In any event, as we are still coming out of the ice age, Scotland is rising whilst we down the bottom end are slowly sinking.

We'll all be under water in a couple of hundred years anyway.

Kevin Costner had it right. Gills and webbed feet are the way forward.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone who builds in a flood plain area deserves whatever happens to him. (Farmers being the only possible exception...and even THEY ought to elevate their houses and barns above the 100 year flood plain. 'Just sayin'...)

Aren't politician and stupidity under the same description in the dictionary? "Oh great, now I can get a BJ in the oval office"! "Oh, I think I'll post a picture of my weiny on a chat site", etc, etc.

Well clearly Mark, your car needs to go on the roof, that would keep it perfectly safe.

Cars are expendable - homes are not:

Proper flood protected professionally built house.

Note the position of the garage:

Same the world over..

I can't agree Keith.

Houses can be rebuilt just as easily, sometimes easier, than a car can be.

We hear of the cost of flooding. You can buy a shit load of rugs and replacement tv's for the cost of the replacement car. It all comes to the same insurance claim does it not? Proper flood protection, starts with building away from the fucking water.

Take my town, floods regularly, yet the bloody fools still build houses right up to the river bank. Man is doomed. Utterly doomed. We deserve to be hit by an asteroid, the experiment has clearly failed? Or is that succeeded?

Go down the road to Tewkesbury. Guess what it has always done in Tewkesbury? That's right folks. It floods. Always has done, even to gaining specific mention for it in historic documents relating to various battles.

So, we learnt to dig ditches, then clear ditches when they got filled up with crap, then we became very clever, about the time we invented the social conscience. Then the right to give free shit to lazy bastards and building governments the size of nations in themselves took precedence over real issues and the money to maintain all that we had built since Arthur Pendragon, got spent on wankers.

Back