GT40 Market trend

Is it just me, or does it appear that the GT40 market is getting ready to explode. I build a Cobra 10 years ago, and at the time there weren't very many around. Now they're everywhere. Are we going to see the same thing happening now. I began looking into the GT40 about 2 1/2 years ago. Now I'm thinking that by the time it's finished, I'm just about going to see one on every street corner. Especially now that Fran Hall and Premeir are going to be making them more affordable than ever. I don't mind much, It just appears that now I'll have to get on that Mk II sooner so I can be the lonely dog out there with the rare one.
Jim Downard

Jim
I think if you watched Barret/Jackson you'd come to beleive Hot Rods are the only cars with value. 4000 CSX Cobra's Ferrari's, Lambo's ran FAR behind Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, and Vettes. An original Shelby 500 Mustang went for MUCH less that a 427 Vette!

Sometimes I think the B-J auction is not realistic to the actual market. I saw on the Club Cobra site that a 302/automatic equipped cobra sold for $43000. Nobody was sure of the make of the car, but it appeared to be WAY above market value. After re-reading my original post, I'm hoping that nobody is misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. Fran car and Premeir's are GOOD things. If I hadn't already purchased an MDA, I may have waited and gone their way as their price is considerably less than what I paid. Of corse, I'd have to compare apples to apples and delete the items I've recieved with mine from what will be offered with theirs. It appears that with the GT40NZ car, and the increasing popularity of the RF, MDA firing up, the wait list for an ERA, GT40NA, and now RCR and Premeir, there are an awful lot of players gearing up. Will the market support that many manufacturers, it would appear so, and with so many more GT40's being produced, I think you are definitly going to see more of them on the road. I do think that the price of entry is going to prevent popularity from reaching that of the Cobra, but who knows, there really seems to be a growing interest in the GT40 replica market. I don't know if that cleared things up any or clouded them even more.
Jim

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I'm not a car show sort of guy so maybe my opinion is skewed.

But, we'd all agree the Cobra segment is swamped but I still never see the cars on the street. I saw the first one in 1.5 years 2 months ago and it isn't like I live in the sticks.

The GT40 replicas will take off, no doubt, but I don't think you have to worry about seeing yourself on every corner, unless you go to car shows where you might see one, maybe.

Well fortunately and/or unfortunately, you NEVER see GT-40s north of the 49th parallel except for that one in Calgary and Ian's in Toronto... For that matter, Cobras are pretty rare, too.

NO cracks about fitting snowplows, please.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I agree about the number of Cobras. I saw 5 or 6 at a local Ford dealership show last year, but I also NEVER see them on the road. I discovered that someone in my city has an original MB 300SL gullwing lightweight (alloy body) - a really rare car. I always wonder what else is hiding in local garages. Still, I’ve never seen or heard of a GT40 nearby (well, except for Rick’s work-in-progress)

I think the biggest difference between a Cobra kit and a GT40 (from what I see) is the cost and labour required is much higher on a 40. For that reason alone, I'm sure it will never reach the volumes of a Cobra. Add the loss of open-air cruising and you're left with die-hard racers and classic lovers. Which is all fine with me. I’m sure there are a lot of us who would love a GT40 and the price of entry going down will just mean we can indulge sooner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi all. Both my CAV GT40 and my Superfornmace cobra are on the road quite extensively here in the Greater Toronto Area. So you are all invited to come up here and see them. (Obviously once the snow melts and the weather gets warmer. It's too hard to clean the salt off these cars in the winter to drive them. hahaha) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

completely agree with all u.The main problem is surely the price.
Surely at today the prices for kits and already done cars is the right one,the probable increasing of sales and askings for cars can maybe make that price goes a little down,also if i am not so sure cause seems it needs a lot of hours to finish a car.
Add to this that in country as mine one almost no one knows anything about those kitcars(and even less about the Gt40 or cobras),but surely a lot of guys customer of Porsche and M3 can be interested in them
I personally have now an M3 covertible and i am hardly searching for a Cobra or a Gt40.Being available only in internet i remain tempted by the ones i see for real..and Lotus Elise is a good alternative....
But guys..u know..I saw here for sale an Elise 111s mk.1 for 30.000Euros,and my mind immediately goes to GT40..that is for just a little more(since what i read in for sale cars section).
All here believe i am a fool..that always talks about Gt40 in friends discussion..and i probably will be soon one of the few italian owners of that,just cause i know that..and others dont.

Sure..if i will find also an amercian assembled car at a cheaper price...my order will be done almost immediately:))

Paul

Back