GT40 public attention

For the long term gt40 owners, do you find the attention gets a little too tiresome at times? It would be cool initially, but just wondering about long term. And if you actually get crowds forming.

I've noticed just how much attention my dad gets with his cobra. He hasn't mentioned it but he also hasn't drove it all that much.

I've been at a couple shows locally with my Safir 40.....I like to call it a GT20. Drives people nuts.

The attention can be problematic at times.....I do my best to remember how moved I was when I saw the cars and my enthusiasm caused me to have close encounters that could likely upset an owner (asking many questions, etc).

What bothers me is when people lack respect and touch the cars. Drives me nuts.

One of the most frustrating cars to own is a Lamborghini Countach, it seems like every time you bring one out in public the car brings out the most ridiculous questions and the most asked are:
how much?
how fast?
can I sit in it?
I finally answered:
If you're female and you're naked

Darin....I did not know there was another Cobra in town, very cool!

So, one question:

What would be the best response to the question: Is it a real one? / Is it a kit car?

Ronnie Spain was in town for a visit and on another level he answered it best. He wrote a report on a MK1 car and the owner said:
Geez Ronnie what a great report....there is just one thing I don't like.....the part where the car hit the wall at the track and it was damaged....the car has been fully repaired.....can we not just remove the part about the accident?
Ronnies reply was:
Sir, Think of your car as a film....it takes many frames in order to make the entire film and if I removed those frames (the accident, damage and subsequent repair) your film would no longer be a documentary or a history film.....it would become fiction. What happened to your car happened and if I remove it, my report would not be the truth, I will not amend your report.

Ronnie is one of the few that will tell you the way it is. He has upset many and he does not care. I'd say that his level of integrity has earned him the respect he has.

So to answer your question, I'd have to say dependant on what your car is, the answer is most likely:
yes it is a real car but it is a kit/recreation/tribute/homebuilt of an incredible historical car

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have started to get in the habit when someone asks me right off the bat, "Is it a kit car?" I smile and say "No, it's real". Just less hassle that way :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Exactly what I endeavor to do. I only take the car out at 6am on Sat or Sun mornings. For the most part it's pretty quiet and 90% of the attention you do get at that time is positive. Last weekend I was fueling up at 6:15 and a guy comes strolling up with his dog on a leash. He starts asking me questions in rapid fire while somehow injecting into the conversation something about being in Nam. His dog was sniffing my rear tire and I thought it was about to hike a leg and take a piss lol. These cars are going to attract major attention just the way it is.

I will say that after I put it up and then hop in the Toyota pickup and head out and about my day, I almost feel invisible. Very relaxing feeling after an hour spent at the center of the universe in the GT40.

Last edited:
Went out today with my girlfriend to go pick up some dog treats. Guy in another car just about blocks our walk into the store to ask about the car. By the time we walked to the back of the store to find what we needed, every store employee and manager was out in the parking lot. As they walk back in, the store manager says to his crew, "nice kit car". LOL! I responded quietly, "nope, not a kit car". Store manager falls all over himself as he figures out it's our car. The crew all had to go back outside to look at it again after I told them what it was. By then three other cars are parked around the GT40 looking it over.

After taking the long way home, we stopped at the local gas station for a fill up. Usual scene - five people hovering around the car, all snapping away with their iPhones.

It really is kinda fun. Got to just go with it. No complaints at all.

- Jeff

Mike,

Please tell us exactly where to go to avoid those pesty ladies...

Jeff,

You description of the GT40 was probably the best forum comment I have heard. I agree, the sound of the engine is like nothing else on the street and distinguishes itself from all other cars. It is also one of the most attractive cars ever, no wonder people are fascinated. Thanks for your comment; I am going to post in on my wall.

Is it real? I correct people when they call our Formula SAE racecars a go-kart. Similarly, I say my GT40 is a fabricated and assembled replica of a very famous racecar of the 60's... it is not a kit car.

-Bob Woods

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
When we were trying to finish 1149, which took years, someone asked me if it was a kit car.

I said, "No, a kit comes with all the parts, AND instructions. I had neither."

:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What is a GT40?

A GT40 is an automobile originally built in the 1960s, by and at the behest of the Ford Motor Company, for the purpose of winning long-distance motor races also contested by a variety of other makes, most famously Ferrari. GT40s in their various forms were campaigned from 1964 to 1970 by Ford and also various motorsport teams hired or designated by Ford. GT40s of different models won the LeMans 24 hour race four times running- 1966-1969- and were then essentially retired from factory or sponsored teams within a few years thereafter.

Are GT40s still made?

Yes. GT40s are still made, and some leftover cars from the 60s have been assembled recently, but few of the original companies that built them in the 60s are still building them. Most of the ones built now are either built by companies which do not have their origin in the original builders, OR have formal legal arrangements with the original builders to use the design and name. Some of these companies pay for the right to use the name and design, and some are grandfathered in as the descendants of the original builders.

How fast will it go?

Faster than 150 mph. A lot faster.

Is it a kit car?

See above.

Can I drive it?

I have no idea. Can you?

MAY I drive it?

No.

Can my girlfriend have a ride in it?

Yes, but not with you driving. As a matter of fact, don't wait up for us. She might be gone for a while.

What kind of gas mileage does it get?

It goes from full to empty. Then it stops.

Is it a Cobra?

No. It is the older brother of a Cobra. The faster older brother.

What did it cost?

If I tell you that, I have to kill you, and I am out of bullets, no doubt due to the last six people who asked me. I'm going to pretend you didn't ask that, since I'm too tired to reload. Plus I'm having too much fun answering your questions.

Where was it built?

In New Zealand, England, and the US.

And, finally.... where's the trunk?

At home, in the attic.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Here's what my reply would be to the "kit car" question (not that anyone asked or cares!):

"It's classified as a 'kit car', yes, because if it weren't, it couldn't be sold here in the U.S. due to today's NTSB regs. 'Faithful reproduction' would be a far more accurate description/classification."

('A bit windy...but IMHO a reasonably accurate stmt none the less.)

Exactly what I endeavor to do. I only take the car out at 6am on Sat or Sun mornings. For the most part it's pretty quiet and 90% of the attention you do get at that time is positive. Last weekend I was fueling up at 6:15 and a guy comes strolling up with his dog on a leash. He starts asking me questions in rapid fire while somehow injecting into the conversation something about being in Nam. His dog was sniffing my rear tire and I thought it was about to hike a leg and take a piss lol. These cars are going to attract major attention just the way it is.

I will say that after I put it up and then hop in the Toyota pickup and head out and about my day, I almost feel invisible. Very relaxing feeling after an hour spent at the center of the universe in the GT40.

Left Hand drive, engine and good finish will give you away.

Here's what my reply would be to the "kit car" question (not that anyone asked or cares!):

"It's classified as a 'kit car', yes, because if it weren't, it couldn't be sold here in the U.S. due to today's NTSB regs. 'Faithful reproduction' would be a far more accurate description/classification."

('A bit windy...but IMHO a reasonably accurate stmt none the less.)

Kit car will not apply to Superformance since the cars are delivery almost finish. Replica is more adequate.

Back