GT40 scratch build

From Andy Green's build thread:

Although I’d previously spent a few hours making the intermediate steering coupling, this has now been scrapped as I decided to fit electric power-steering unit.

The unit I’m using is off a 2001-06 Vauxhall Corsa (Corsa C) and an interface unit is readily available (from Ebay) to vary the amount of assistance the motor gives. Whether the car needs it I’m not sure, but it is easier to fit it at this stage than trying to get it in later.

For those of you worried about getting the car through the SVA test in relation to the collapsible section, the good news is that the Corsa column has an integral collapsible section. I’ve mounted mine to take advantage of this, the upper mount supports the collapsible section (although this may not be needed) and the 2 lower mounts, which are amore rigid support the main body. It’s also worth getting the intermediate column section, as this has a splined sleeve making it length adjustable and is then easily adapted to the Ford spline on the rack

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion i will see what i can find.

So this week we ordered the wiring loom, so once it arrives we should have something to do.

Can anyone tell me where i can find a 120 degree Lucas wiper motor?

Talking to my uncle last night, he told me that there is a problem as regards our floor mounted Tilton pedal box.

The bracket for the steering rack is interfering with the master cylinders, stopping the box from sitting in the correct position.

Has anyone used a floor mounted pedal box, and if so, have you had the same problem.

I know that some chassis have the rack hung from the top of the chassis rather than being fixed the bottom section of the chassis. Could this be an option?

If you want to use a floor mounted pedal box, you can get around the problem by using AP 'shorty' master cylinders like this:
Vertical Flange Types - CP2623 Type

Another option is to extend the push rods so that the master cylinder is ahead of the steering rack. Or you can use a hung pedal design as I built and Tornado supply

If you start moving the steering rack around you need to be careful regarding the bumpsteer

Hope this helps
Regards
Andy

Thanks for the link.

We fitted windows to the doors and started repairing our rear body panel at the weekend.

Can anyone recommend a Accelerator pedal or tell me what the options are?

Andy has recommended that we make our own gear shift mechanism. Sound like a good idea.

Has anyone else made there own gear shift?

Last night spent a few hours cutting alloy sheet and working out the more challenging cuts by make templates from cardboard.

We are thinking of having our own tanks made by a local fabricator who has agreed to help us with our project.

If we are to have tanks made would it be possible for us to fit them with Explo-safe?

I've done some research on Explo-Safe, although cant seem to find out if i can buy it as a material?

Does anyone have a better knowledge of Explo-Safe?

Hi Quick update

We now have a radiator on order with docking engineering

We also have our seats which are currently in the process of being covered.

Now looking for some head lights, does anyone have some spare or have any ideas as to who supplies them?

Hi Everyone

radiator arrived and also our front calipers and discs.

We are now on the search for headlights and anti-roll bars.

Where have you guys got your lights and roll bars from?

Back