"GT40 Wedding"/End of season event

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thought I'd generate some traffic within the club subforum as it seems we currently under-use the facility...

Many of the club members, especially from the Hants & Berks region will already know about Maxine & I getting married later this year. The idea of a GT40 'guard of honour'
was suggested in a previous thread, and I have loosely discussed with a few people at club meetings etc.

Unfortunately as much as we might like, we will not be able to invite all club members/GT40 owners to the whole wedding (unless we win the lottery jackpot between now & then!). So I thought it was about time I tested the water with ideas as to what might actually be achievable.

The wedding ceremony will start at 2pm, so that gives me the morning and early afternoon to 'play'. I say me as opposed to us, as she will be getting ready separately, with her bridesmaids etc. She has her own transportation organized to get them all to the wedding, but do not fear it is a V8 - a stretch Hummer!

As is fairly traditional (in my circle of friends anyway), I had already been comtemplating
gathering with some of my friends, the male side of the wedding party etc in a local public
house before making our way to the wedding venue. This will undoubtedly be our actual
local, which is where we had our engagement party anyway.

I was thinking therefore that maybe we could extend this to include a gathering of GT40's/other exotic cars for an end of season meeting (the wedding is on Saturday 3rd October). This could include food/drinks, but it would have to be down to individuals to buy their own.

We could then make our way as a convoy on a small local tour, possibly taking in a drive through a few local towns/villages, ending up at the wedding venue. This is a country house with ample parking, but also an area outside of the main house with spearate parking for any 40's etc. This provides a great location for a line up of GT40's with fantastic photo opportunites.

Anyway, if anyone is interested or has any suggestions, please drop me a line or post here.

Regards,

Max (& Maxine).

Max
Sounds a great idea and if possible I will be there, close to my own wedding date (11th) so a good excuse to toast weddings in general too (ours will be 29 years).
Chris

Max
I'd love to come and celebrate with you and happy to 'buy my own'. I might even buy you one!
Of course I won't be in a 40, but hopefully qualify in the 'other exotic cars' category!

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,

I'd just like to say thank you to all those who have shown their interest/support. If anyone can arrange good weather for the day we'd be very interested!

Chris, your Noble will definitely qualify as an "other exotic" (it was top of the list) and will be very welcome.

Max

Hi Max & Maxine

Good luck for the future. However we will see you both before the big day.

Would the Cobra qualify?. Just for further variety on the day.

Bob & Barbara

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Bob,

Of course the Cobra would qualify, but as you have both why not bring the '40? Or is this Barbara's choice (I know she is not overly keen on travelling in either really)?

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well all wedding plans are progressing nicely, and I am working on this GT40/exotic car gathering element. It will gather pace and I will formalise it as the time draws closer.

One thing I am interested in and have not managed to find (other than a company in the US who wanted me to place an order before they would tell me how much the postage was!) is black and white chequered ribbon! If anyone know where such a thing is available from, or could be produced at reasonble cost, please let me know.

Cheers,

Max

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
This or this or even this do ya, Max?

oops = forget that second one.......

Expected Delivery Date is generated by UPS and is only an estimate.
$162.64 - UPS Worldwide Saver - Expected Delivery: 04.27.2009
$156.46 - Worldwide Expedited - Expected Delivery: 04.29.2009

Last edited:

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

Thanks for your efforts. I think you tried a similar method to myself, but came up with different results.

The first one looks more like elasticated material, but at that price I'll probably order some as a trial. What I'm really after is some pucker ribbon e.g. the stuff used on wedding cars, just black & white chequered. It just seems that nobody makes it. I did think about getting some white ribbon and colouring the black squares on myself (I have done more painstaking/labourious things in the past for lesser causes!)

At least the US site you found would give an estimate of delivery cost without placing an order, good job I had my concerns regarding the one I found.

Cheers,

Max

Richard,

Thanks for your efforts. I think you tried a similar method to myself, but came up with different results.

The first one looks more like elasticated material, but at that price I'll probably order some as a trial. What I'm really after is some pucker ribbon e.g. the stuff used on wedding cars, just black & white chequered. It just seems that nobody makes it. I did think about getting some white ribbon and colouring the black squares on myself (I have done more painstaking/labourious things in the past for lesser causes!)

At least the US site you found would give an estimate of delivery cost without placing an order, good job I had my concerns regarding the one I found.

Cheers,

Max

Max,

Is this what you are looking for?

Checkered Flag Crepe Streamer

They'll ship to Dorset for about $66US. Total would come to under $68US.

Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

That one itself may not be quite what I am looking for, but there are other items they have which look useful so I think I might be ordering a few bits to try out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for helping,

Cheers,

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well, less than 4 weeks to go now, and we just had our rehearsal at the weekend so thought it was a good time to update people. I haven't reposted on here about it for a while, but have had various dicussions with people directly at club meetings etc.

My original choice of starting venue (my local) has just just closed for refurbishmnet and change of management, though it is supposed to re-open a week before the wedding. If anything goes wrong with this, I do have a backup location in mind.

As I suggested previously, as much as we would have liked we cannot invite everyone to the entire wedding - still no lottery win :-( however we are happy for 'non-guests' to stick around with us for the cermony itself (though you may end up standing at the back of the marquee) and for the drinks on the lawn afterwards, during which time the photos will be taking place.

One thing I don't believe I mentioned previously is the 'dress code' - obviously this is really intended for our wedding guests, but it would probably be desirable if others could kind of follow this (or at least not wear something that stands out too much!) especially if staying around for the ceremony/photos - anyway the 'theme' is "black, white & red".

I have now sorted the chequered ribbons for my car, and have a number freely available for others who may be interested in following this theme.

Anyway, to re-iterate the current thoughts:-
11am - Gather at starting venue
--------Have a bite to eat/drink (both optional)
--------Chat & take photos
12:30 - Head off in convoy for a 'rumble' around locally
13:00 - Arrive at wedding venue
--------Park cars, take photos etc
13:45 - Move to ceremony marquee (in anticipation of Bride's arrival)
14:00 - Wedding ceremony (it's going to be a quick one)
14:15(ish) - Drinks on the lawn
--------Photos
15:30 - 'Non-guests' depart

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas please post back here, or drop me a PM or email.

Also, it would be good to have an idea of roughly how many people plan to attend/participate, so if anyone interested could please repost here (or again PM/email me) that would be great.

Cheers,

Max (& Maxine).

Back