GT40s in Australia

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hello

Is there any idea on how many GT40s there are in Australia, real or replica?

I noticed some people say "GT40 #137" or something rather and wondered if that was to do with the amount known in Au.

Those tend to be chassis numbers of a specific manufacturer and are AIUI no one restricts their chassis numbers to a specific country.

Eg you might have RCR GT40 #145 goes to Oz, RCR GT40 #146 goes to the US and #147 goes to the UK.

Getting the number of kits sold would be tricky, getting the number finished even more so. Real would be far easier but no idea.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Those tend to be chassis numbers of a specific manufacturer and are AIUI no one restricts their chassis numbers to a specific country.

Eg you might have RCR GT40 #145 goes to Oz, RCR GT40 #146 goes to the US and #147 goes to the UK.

Getting the number of kits sold would be tricky, getting the number finished even more so. Real would be far easier but no idea.

I see. So for clarification, as an example, RCR #145, would be the 145th car made by RCR from the day they started (given the first car was #1)?

Thanks

Something like that George. Sometimes a little out of sequence depending on shipping dates, paymant arrangements, etc.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Is there a rough estimation on howmany Replicas there might be down here?

Like 0-100, 500, 1000+ ?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
From my observation

A lot of people see the 40 as a "Kitcar" which just needs to be bolted together and they can drive.

They seem to greatly over estimate their own experience and capabilities and then find themselves in over their heads with the complexity and work involved just in building the car let alone the registration requirements.

These cars then get left sitting in the garage unfinished for years till they are sold to someone else to finish or are never finished.

Dimi

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I see.

Why dont they pay somebody to do the assembly work for them if they can not?

I would have thought a 'kitt' so to speak, would come with all parts and with all bolt holes etc there already, all thats left for the builder is 'put the engine in bolt it up, drop the gearbox in, bolt it up, put the suspension in all the already welded positions, bolt them on etc" so that it is basicaly like a model car, just put all the pieces together, glue them on (bolt in case of real car) and paint it. Anyone could do that.

Obviously theres welding etc involved as the kitt is incomplete?

That would suck to have something you wanted to not get it on the road.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This is The Hoff with his Kitt car G-man

kitt-knight-rider-automobile-robot-2.jpg

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
This is The Hoff with his Kitt car G-man

I used to have that car when I was 20. Was the only car I had that nothing needed doing on. General service and worked beautiful. Ever since then I had mopars, either need to source pumps for 6 months, wait for some suspension components another 3-6 months, etc... they been in shops longer than at my own damn place, most headache ive ever had. Kinda still wish I had my trans-am.

And thanks for staying on topic as usual :furious:

Some 'kit cars' are just a simple bolt together, the GT40 kits are mostly not. While I'd say most if not all modern ones don't need welding most need metal work skills as well as significant mechanical skills. Plus fibreglass skills.

I suspect a lot of people want the car for cheap and so buy a kit but don't realise the work that goes into them (which to a large extent is what makes the 'turn-key' cars so expensive). When they realise that they lose the dream and sell. Or hope to pay someone (skilled) for ~6 months solid work and never have the money.

Last i spoke to Roaring Forties, they were very clear that their 40 comes with every single nut and bolt, washer even zipties.

Can't get simpler than that

Cheers
Paul

True but you pay for that. Its the classic trade-off between money and time (with a bit of added skill), if you can 'spend' the time you can save the money. You pay for RF to have made the effort to have made it so simple.

On a related note I'd guess that if you've spent >100K AUD (~70K GBP / ~112K USD) on something you'd be fairly likely to finish it! If you were instead paying say ~7500-15000 AUD *and* it needed a *lot* more work there is a far higher chance of giving up.

Rob Sherrard has one as for as i know, I had a look at it at Speed on Tweed a few years ago.(unless it has been sold)

Darrell
DRB#46
LS1 G50

can anyone assist ,,,how do i know which kit to buy to start...i have a restoration body shop ...i am keen to buy one to start...Venom motorsport has one for sale on ebay????any advice

Your only chance is to buy an RF as no else can supply an adr approved kit. Search on australia club cobra for info on venom.....

DRB have stopped making cars.
RCR oz no more.
That's all there is.

Now we have stopped selling RCR's, we are also building our own GT40 replicas. I would recommend having a look at the kits in person and decide what suits you best.

On the topic of numbers, Pete could be right, there could be less than 100 finished GT40 replicas. I would have thought around 100 finished.

With local manufacturers quite a few of the kits were exported when the exchange rate was favourable to do so. So local manufacturer numbers are not going to be as helpful.

I will put it out there and make an educated guess, maybe between 300-400 GT40 kits here in Australia. Whichever way you look at it, less than 500.

Back