headers

G

Another resource for headers on the west coast is Rick Cressi at Tri-C Engineering. (661) 295-1550. He is building a set for my ERA w/302 Gurney-Weslake heads, as well as an original GT40 w/ G-W heads.

Kalun's system looks great!! The tubes look tightly bunched and teh system looks as if it belongs on his engine...similar to George's (a bad word for many) systems. I'd be very interesetd if someone would be able to replicate these features in stainless and a reasonable time.

My compliments Kalun, these look great. Some of us would be very interested in replicating a set. If you could post a construction article it would be appreciated.
Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff Deakin:
A while ago, somebody posted a picture of the most boootiful set of headers.
The engine was mounted on a stand, and the pic showed the RHS with the headers fitted.
They were a silver colour and were reflected in polished aluminium rocker covers.
The post was signed off with "Roaring Forties Mk 1, 347 with 8 barrel fuel injection, BRM pin drives"
I have searched but cannot find.
If they are YOURS, how about another pic, and who made them?
Cheers, Geoff.
No GT40 yet, but still dreaming!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're referring to my setup, Geoff:

engine%20with%20pipes.jpg

These pipes were made by the notorious George at Kustom Metal Works. Say what you will about his business practices and delivery schedules, but these pipes are beautiful. The bends are smooth and flowing, which is what Brian was talking about. The ceramic coating job appears to me to be of high quality. One thing I'm not crazy about is how the pipes are dimpled at the flange to accomodate the header bolts. If I can find my digital camera I'll take a picture and post it in this thread later.

Kalun, your exhaust setup looks superb...great job! What flavor stainless did you use?

If I didn't have these pipes I'd talk to Giacomo6.

Mark, that's pure art, stunning!

Can you post details of the sump? I'm guessing it's a wet sump, by the dip-stick.

I'm impressed as to how shallow it is, allowing the engine to sit way down in the chassis, & no problem with fouling over speed-humps etc.

Julian, it's a wet-sump system with an Aviaid oil pan; the the real McCoy as used on the original GT40s. Hershal, who also has a set of George's headers, informs me that my #7 pipe may be too high and interfere with closure of the rear clip. One solution to that problem woul be to go to a ZF gearbox which I believe would allow me to lower the entire powertrain. We'll see how things line up about this time next year.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Worthington:

One thing I'm not crazy about is how the pipes are dimpled at the flange to accomodate the header bolts. If I can find my digital camera I'll take a picture and post it in this thread later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are the pictures:

Header%20001.jpg

Header%20002.jpg

Not only does it look kind of sloppy, I think the dimpled pipes may impede exhaust gas flow out of the ports. I need to look into this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Worthington:

I think you're referring to my setup, Geoff:

engine%20with%20pipes.jpg

These pipes were made by the notorious George at Kustom Metal Works. Say what you will about his business practices and delivery schedules, but these pipes are beautiful. The bends are smooth and flowing, which is what Brian was talking about. The ceramic coating job appears to me to be of high quality. One thing I'm not crazy about is how the pipes are dimpled at the flange to accomodate the header bolts. If I can find my digital camera I'll take a picture and post it in this thread later.

Kalun, your exhaust setup looks superb...great job! What flavor stainless did you use?

If I didn't have these pipes I'd talk to Giacomo6.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mad.gif
mad.gif

Mark,

Great pipes but I like your sump/oil pan too. Is it a custom job or a readily
available item??

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Oil pan; I ordered mine from Armando's Oil Pans in California, it is reportedly identical to an Aviaid (he used to work for them) and about 1/3 cheaper. I will post something when it shows up, I expect it in a few weeks. It is dimensionally the original GT40 oil pan with doors and pickup etc which was spec'ed for the original cars. He also has a web site, put Armando's Oil Pans in a search engine and it will pop up.

Has anybody called Fran at RCR? He always seems to have a cost effictive answer that looks fantastic. I have yet to see him turn anything out that is not high quality.

Steve

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have contact details of George or Kustom Metal Works ??
Thanks

Edit :::
Belay this request unless George now delivers.

So who else produces this quality ?

Last edited:
I just got back from our Header Builder to report that our 180 deg. production header system is done and will be available by the end of August. They are CNC mandrel bent with 1 piece 1 5/8 primarys and are absolutely beautiful. Will have pictures soon. We'll be in the $1800 range.
Chris
Historic Race Car Reproductions
440-259-3090

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew,
I have patterns from originals and these are easily obtainable however that set from Kustom Metal is truly the Medusa.

I want some !!

If anyone has more pictures please post them.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
does any one know where i can get a set of gt-40 headers ? any web sites? please send to [email protected]

Welcome here Wayne! (another fellow Pantera owner)

Let me know where you end up getting them, as I would like a new set for my GT40 that are proper cross-overs. I'm pretty sure you'll end up having them custom made for your application (not a GT40).

Back