Holy Smoke! Or maybe not....

Ron Earp

Admin
Smoking Ban

Sure did like having a puff in the various pubs I've visited there. While not a smoker, I enjoy a cig or cigar with a beer. I'm surprised this hasn't happened in the US yet, but it will. Wife will be happy, it'll end my occasional puffs here in the US when it passes.

R

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Ron, the exact same ban came into effect in Australian pubs/bars on Sunday too. Never thought the Aussies were THAT closely aligned with the Brits..

HILLY

Supporter
Bill,
The restrictions have been in place in Queensland for quite some time now. I was in Melbourne last week and a Sunday visit to St Kilda markets encouraged a pit stop at the Espy. It was a strange experience to again walk into a bar clouded with smoke and the band tuning for the afternoon session in the back ground. Sort of surreal having gotten used to the smokeless environment. I guess that will definitely be the last time we will see that in OZ. Not that its a bad thing.

Ron Earp

Admin
Nope, not a bad thing I don't think. Certainly a passage of an era though. Pubs and smoke sort of go hand in hand it seemed.

BruceB

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Smoking Ban has been in Ireland for nearly two years, any workplace and enclosed public area is covered by the ban.
It has worked very well!

I'm surprised this hasn't happened in the US yet, but it will. Wife will be happy, it'll end my occasional puffs here in the US when it passes.

Most of the US has banned smoking in public places. I bet the tobacco industry will make sure that North Carolina will be one of the last states to adopt a ban on public smoking. I walked into a bar in Montana last week and was surprised to get hit with a cloud of acrid tobacco smoke, so I guess North Carolina isn't the only holdout left.

I quit smoking cigarrettes in 1982 after about 6 years of smoking in high school and college. Every now and then I would smoke one, like at a poker game or in a bar, plus I enjoyed a dip of snuff occasionally. When my dog died in 2000 I inexplicably went out and bought a pack of cigarrettes, and have been either smoking or dipping on and off since then. In February of this year I quit snuff, and found myself smoking 2-3 packs per week as a result. So in March I finally qiuit smoking, for good this time, and am proud to say I'm coming up on four months nicotine free.

That said, if I found out today that the world was going to end next week, one of my first actions would be to go out and buy a carton of Marlboros. :)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Smoking Ban

Sure did like having a puff in the various pubs I've visited there. While not a smoker, I enjoy a cig or cigar with a beer. I'm surprised this hasn't happened in the US yet, but it will.
R

Houston, TX enacted a smoking ban recently but exempted "cigar bars". Being a non-smoker, I must admit the ban pleased me. I'll never go into a cigar bar, but I was "pleased" (?) to see that the city did recognize that some do like the "atmosphere" (pun intended) of a smoky pub and at least made an effort to ensure that those people would be able to find a location that fit their interests.

To each his own!!

Doug

It's a day to celebrate if you ask me. I can go to pubs and resturants now without coming home smelling of smoke.
With tabacco advertising being banned in F1 and many other sports, as well as the health risks being bannered across the packets here in the U.K it's helped to make smoking less cool and more and more of a social taboo which will hopefully help the kids from starting in the first place. I've seen how tough it is to give it up in later life and I sympathise with, as well as encourage those that are wrestling the habit.
(Never smoked and Never will)

'Social engineering'. I'm waiting for them to ban me picking my nose and scratching my arse.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
"Social engineering'. I'm waiting for them to ban me picking my nose and scratching my arse."

HEALTH WARNING !!

Do not shake that man's hand !!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe they will allow the punters to take along their children, just like they do with the public houses these days.

Well I'm not a smoker and have never been.But aren't we going too far by banning this and other things.When I was young everything was virtually possible.And today live expectations become higher and higher.So is this all so unhealthy?When we become 70-80 year with good health and cigarettes,cars,industry and whatever we like to do I would say this live was worth it.If i can become 100 year with a clean live no fun things to do like our gt 40's (who smell and fume)(maybe the next ban) I surely thanks for this.Its good to have a healthy live but without fun no thanks.And a lot of fun things sure are not healthy.My 2 cents Emiel

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If only governments were not so reliant on tobacco tax revenue they could ban the things everywhere.

Good Idea Malcolm, just like prohibition in the 30's and banning other addictive drugs. Force them underground and the "Mob" takes over and makes the money.
It amazes me why people cannot learn from history.

P.S. I am a non smoker.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
It's interesting that you bring prohibition of the 30s up Pete, I recently heard some economics guru talk about how the world's economy is exactly matching that period of time just prior to the Great Depression with some alarmingly similar social parallels too.... Prohibition of Cigarettes :eek: (I'm a non-smoker:p: )

He looked like a glass half empty type though :eek:

Here's a quiz for you:

The smoking ban in Ireland cost my company almost 6% in sales in the first year. We have now made it up plus. The bigger threat now is cider. We own an iconic Irish brand. What is it and who are we?

Back