I took the plunge

After reviewing the various GT40 replicas I took the plunge and ordered a RF GT40. When I first started looking in earnest, I had not completely determined if it would be a kit or turn-key minus. So I basically did parallel searches – turnkey and kit

BUT after much consideration we made the decision to go the kit route. My son is 16 (got his license yesterday - I got the insurance bill) and this was a great opportunity to have a last father/son project. This route has lots of possibilities but it came down to ERA and Roaring Forties. ERA - I loved the idea of no panels to install and the body was pre-fit, but delivery was a major problem along with cost. Roaring Forties – Absolutely the best packaging, just like the models I built when a kid, but BIG. I am still a bit hesitant about the panels and body fit, but through discussions with Robert Logan, and Gordon Levy I believe I will never be alone. In addition, Ron Earp spent a great deal of his time sharing his build experiences. Now we are trying to have a work shop garage built while we wait for the BIG BOX to arrive.

Any suggestions as to tools, equipment, etc. are greatly appreciated, or RF build pictures.

Thanks for the help.

Insurance bill on a 16 year old? Ouch. You are going to have a great time building this with your son. If you need anything, I am only a phone call away.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jay,

Your workshop manual left air mail last Tuesday , so I hope you get it early next week.

The RF web site has also got a whole lot of owners photographs which should help but as discussed we have digital still and video cameras at the shop and will send you photos as required.

Thank you again for the order, good luck with the bonding exercise and remember that children are on the payrole till their mid 30's and anything less than that must be considered as a BONUS !!!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Congratulations Jay,

Hope you find many many hours of enjoyment building your RF40 as I have. Its a pleasure working with a quality product like the RF. You know that things will fit, and if your unsure, the support is there.

If you want an idea on the method I used to locate my panels, then have a look at the "GT40s difficult to build?" thread on this site. I've also included some pictures there.

With regards to tools, I have managed to build my car with far simpler tools than you would find at your local mechanic's. A set of good sharp files and lots'a clamps goes a long way toward making the job easier though.

Feel free to drop me a line or ask further questions if you think I can help.

Enjoy!

Chris L, I studied your pictures and realy apreciate you sharing your technique. Looks very effective for what is a very important task. Thanks for your encouragement and keep us posted with your ideas.

Robert, we am looking forward to the manual, and I have devoured the pictures on your web site.

Congrats Jay,
Well you made the right choice! This kit is amazing. It has been sooo much fun. Thanks Hershal! As he mentioned in a different post his car is almost done and mine won't be far behind. All I can say is Robert and everyone I talked with at RF are great. If it wasn't for Robert being Robert I would have never bought his car but the man is top notch. Enjoy you project with your boy, I do with my little girl (she's almost 2) and I feel like Hershal's son working so close to him on ours. This has and still is a truly great project.
John

G

I picked up on your request for ideas on tools. I am talking after having built two cars now and would have found the following of use over and above the regular contents of a tool box.

With the ali panelling you need a good CLEAN method of cutting pannelling to trim to fit. Generally air tools are good and you can get a nibbler for trimming ali. A bending brake will help form clean folds. My freind Brian bought one for working on his car and swears by it now.

If you making your own loom for electrics then a proper crimping tool and wire stripper will make life so much more easy.

Generally you may find yourself wanting little brackets or spacers etc. If you go on and develop the car you definately will be making these sort of things. Therefore a lathe, pillar drill and band saw come in extremely handy. Blow some money on a mill and you can pretty much make anything. Especially if you can weld.

Now this may all sound expensive and it can be, but prudent shopping around and appropriate purchasing of second hand machinery can save you a fortune. For under £500 I bought a 3 phase converter and so run a Harrison 3 phase mill which I picked up for peanuts compared to a single phase mill cost. My lathe is a Southbend lathe which appeared to be WW2 vintage. I rewired it and put in a saftey switch and it works fine.

All the above tools were acquired for under £2000 in total. So far I have made clutch release bearing holders, a steering column, gear knobs, telemetry brackets, body hinge brackets, spacers galore, a set of bicycle forks(!), and even parts for our shower in the house.

Whilst your budget has to be considered, you can soon claw back the expense because you are not paying someone else to make something for you or you only take a few minutes to make something as opposed to hours fumbling around fudging it. Also at the end you still have the equipment to make something else or sell to recoup some money.

I just wish I could weld to a better standard and especially ali weld as that would be really useful.

Hope this is of help

Malcolm

PS Can a man have too many tools?

I also think that you may end up with a better looking car at the end and something you can be even more proud of.

Malcolm M, my wife is convinced on only take on these projects to "justify" buying the tools. Thanks for the suggestions.

G

Jay I was at the RF factory last week. Robert walked me thru the fabrication shop where your chassis is being built, construction is well advanced and looks to be up to RF's usual high standard. (Thought you would like the feed back.) As far as equipment goes I have made support stands at approx 600mm high on wheels which I find very useful for manoeuvrering the chassis and providing a comfortable work level.
Regards
Pete (owner builder RF30GT40)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Jay:
Did you get my email about lifts? If you will give me a call I may be able to help you get a lift, especially if you are willing to wait for a used one to come along? Frequently a used lift can be had for under a thousand installed, and will last forever maintained right. If you still need one, drop me a line by email or call me.
410 349 1234.
Jim Rosenthal

Ron Earp

Admin
Jay,

Hot Damn! Finally someone on the east coast with an RF. I'm in MD about once per month and hope to visit with you sometime.

I made a wodden dolley to support the car and put the dolly on big casters. Dolly is about 18" high or so, perfect height. With the dolly I can roll it around anywhere I see fit.

There are even better methods, such as Hershal's $99 rotissere that allows you to spin the car around as well.

G

John,

I have a fine metal dolly with urethane tired casters that my car will be coming off of within two weeks. Email me if you are interested (I am in Raleigh) and I will let you have it for what I have in it. Ron E. has seen it so I'll let him tell you what he thinks.

Peter, thank you for the report. I have gotten two sets of pictures and it is very exciting to watch the progress

Ron Earp

Admin
Jay you will like it.

I just got the serpentine belt system for my motor the other day and after only a few minutes of work can tell it fits very well. Block hugging tight and well contructed. RF offers V-belts as well, but I figured it is 2002.

It is nice to get parts for such a contruction and actually have them fit without redesign. Good job RF.

Ron

Ron, I am very pleased. I just got some more pictures last night and the doors are in the box. Now all I need to do is get the garage built.

JAY,
Congrats on your new project. I hope to have a project by this summer. If you look at the thread on pannels you will see how simple a sheetmetal brake can be made for about 20 - 50 bucks. There are other threads on the tools you will probably need and the places to find them such as Eastwood, Tools for less, Brown Tool Co., Racer Parts Wholesale, Mcmaster Car Supply, and Very Cool Parts to mention a few. Oh yeah, make sure you have LOTS of space.
shocked.gif

Bill

Bill, I realized from the discussions that space was very important. As part of the "deal" with my wife is I vacate the garage attached to the house and she "lets" me build one for the "project". Hopefully it is done before the RF arrives.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jay,

I left a message about the fuel system you plan to use on the car. I need to know as the wiring loom is under construction and we need to terminate it correctly.

The box is filling up quickly and we will send some more photographs again soon.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back