if i were to purchase an SL-C

I know there aren't many of them out there yet but i thought this was a question worth asking..
if i bought a rolling kit from fran.. 42-43k and also purchased an ls3 mated to a g50 as he mentioned through him as a customer could be done for 10k... and i were to bring that home an assemble.. where would my product be? could i have a finished car without any additional parts? or would i be looking at 5k .. 10k additional? i'm nottalking about customizing or personalized.. just assembling the car as intended?
it seems to me that the general concensus is that it takes a considerable amount more money to finish one of these cars? i mean i know if i asked for extras from fran other than whats included that would cost money, but if i wanted to buy the stuff put it together myself on a budget, could that be accomplished??
theoretically if you do the work theres no reason that it couldn't be done for under 55k? is that possible?

i only ask because i would lke to figure out what the shortest path between me and an SLC is .. hahaha

I believe that the SL-C is similar to the GT40 kit. Most of what you need is small stuff. I needed a fuel system (pumps, filters, fuel lines, regulators), belts, hoses, ignition system, dash switches in addition to what you have listed.

Did you include computer and harness in your budget? I did not see wheels and tires in you plan. Also don't forget paint, unless you are planning on running in Gel Coat.

I believe that the SL-C is similar to the GT40 kit. Most of what you need is small stuff. I needed a fuel system (pumps, filters, fuel lines, regulators), belts, hoses, ignition system, dash switches in addition to what you have listed.

Did you include computer and harness in your budget? I did not see wheels and tires in you plan. Also don't forget paint, unless you are planning on running in Gel Coat.

good summary

Realistically I think when most builds are done they're going to be scrapping 100k - there's a lot of "small stuff" your going to need, like fuel components, ignition, wiring, tires, that's going to add up.

Then probably some body work (I know it's great gelcoat out of the mold, but I when going for paint I don't think you'd just want to paint right over, probably needs some minor work) as well as paint.

There's a lot of good kit cars out there that can beat built for the budget oriented; I don't think this is one of them myself. *shrug*

thank you guys for all of the honest replies.. i think that what your saying is more along the lines of the truth than what i would like to fantasize being able to do one for..
from what i'm getting here it sounds like even to finish it very simply.. an additional 20k would probably be require, ( wheels, tires, ecu, fuel system, body work, paint, switches.. etc... ) and even then i can see where you say spending 100k would probably be closer to the truth, i would have like to have thought if i did the labor myself it could be done for a reasonable number... i had thought for 100,000 you could have fran build it for you and sit back and let it take shape...
i guess either way you look at it its still a bargain of a performane machine at any of these numbers..
hmmm... back to the drawing/ waiting board... :sad::sad::sad:

Brad, it also depends on what your taste for the little stuff is. If you are happy with standard hose and wires and fittings and whatnot, the price will be reflective (and the performance unaffected given smart choices). If you have an addiction to billet aluminum, then things can change in a hurry. Ask me how I know.

thank you guys for all of the honest replies.. i think that what your saying is more along the lines of the truth than what i would like to fantasize being able to do one for..
from what i'm getting here it sounds like even to finish it very simply.. an additional 20k would probably be require, ( wheels, tires, ecu, fuel system, body work, paint, switches.. etc... ) and even then i can see where you say spending 100k would probably be closer to the truth, i would have like to have thought if i did the labor myself it could be done for a reasonable number... i had thought for 100,000 you could have fran build it for you and sit back and let it take shape...
i guess either way you look at it its still a bargain of a performane machine at any of these numbers..
hmmm... back to the drawing/ waiting board... :sad::sad::sad:

From what I've seen of kit cars in general, in order to determine your final cost, determine what you think is a reasonable budget (doesn't matter if you're doing a strictly donor build, or a top-of-the-end fancy smancy build). Then double it. Then that'll be close to your final cost :laugh:

With my cobra, I figured 50-55k painted would give me a good, solid build. Then somehow along the way I ended up at 95-100k. Oops :lipsrsealed:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Lets look at this question of cost in a different way. First the totals. My best guess is about the cost of a new Corvette. Anywhere from a stripper standard model to a ZO6 depending on what you want.

Now the other part. If you just want a really cool, affordable, fast car then by all means buy a Corvette. If you want to have a Hobby, build a cool, affordable, fast car then.....Well we have answered the question haven't we.

Don't buy a hobby and think it will not require any involvement. These cars, all of them, even the Super Performance turn keys require some owner "involvement" Others are really like a self build airplane. The SLC is in the middle somewhere. I spent 8 months on the body fit of my GTD, I don't think my SLC will be much more than a few weeks to complete the body for paint. So you see in many ways I think it might be easier. It's really about what your strong points are or will become. This self build car hobby will teach you a lot more than you ever believed possible.

The SLC is no where near the easy button like a Super Performance but it's not beyond the ability of many people who really want to start a new hobby, meet new people, and learn a LOT of cool stuff.

Anybody who is interested can contact me anytime via email. I will forward my Ph# and talk with you about anything you want to know about these cars and the hobby in general.

That's another part of the deal. All of us helping each other with our obsession.

Ditto Howard, I would be happy to share via e-mail or phone any questions relating to the SL-C and my build. Several of us fellow SL-C builders e-mail and converse almost daily to share ideas and some technical aspects of our respective projects.

thanks guys again,
i'm not worried about involvement.. i think as involved as it will be i think it will be rewarding thats why i'm interested... that and my ultimate goal in a car is not a fast cool car.. its an insanely fast death machine,and i think at 2000lbs the SLC has the potential to be a silly silly fast machine...
it sounds to me that i need to start putting together exactly what i want and just work towards affording just that, i think i will be dissapointed if i cut out things i want to meet a budget on this car.. a little patience wouldn't kill me
and i can't wait to discuss the builds with some guys that are going through or have completed these.. it seems like we are still in the pioneering stage of this car.

Hey:

You already know this, but you could get an SLC roller, put in an LS junkyard motor, rebuilt tranny, skip the paint, i.e. GO CHEAP, but start driving the car around and adjust the suspension and brakes.

If you're not going to have a trailer queen, it's going to get nicks, dings, oil, etc. on it, and since a driven kit car is never finished, just upgrade the car as you see fit given your circumstances - financial, time, interest, etc.

If you have a need for speed, that is the fastest (no pun intended) way I know of to get well.

Hey, nobody wants to buy an SLC and turn it into a beater, but at least you're driving an SLC.

Others may have better ideas, and I'd love to hear them.

I am working through my SLC budget right now with a lot of help from Fran at RCR. I really think $55 - 60k is possible for a basic SLC. Your extras will not add up to $20k, not even close if you stick to your budget. This assumes you do the work yourself and you watch how you spend your money. There are a lot of temptations along the way that are cosmetic or maybe a slight performance edge but unnecessary. CAN you spend 100k, sure and you will have a great car that is absolutely kick a$$ but you can spend much less and still have an SLC.

Good luck on your build.

Dean

Thats refreshing to hear that im not the only one that believes its possible to do the car for reasonable money, and no matter what you do you can upgrade anything later.. my goal is performance performance, performance... i want lots of power/ very low weight.. if i bought a junkyard ls3, do a crazy cam, and some head work with some long tubes and i dont need any emissions in NC.. 500-550whp is well within reach for very very reasonable money. i get so excited just talking about it... hahahaha

Brad
An LS3/cam/head mods will easily put you into 550HP range. With a used G50 you'll have less than 12K in the driveline. So, 55K - 60K is a very reasonable budget for the SL-C. Assuming you do all the work yourself.

Hi BRad

as Dean already said. It all comes down to you ability to build the car and more important your ability to withstand all the temptation along the way.
For example. I started out my build with goal of having a 350 - 400 hp crate engine with a stock G50/03 ( complete with standard clutch app 7500 USD).
Now here you go:
- listening to all the high reving nascars i decided i want a sbf who turns at least 7500 reliable, so this engine was 13000 USD.
- HAving now some >500 hp > 450 lbs/ft the gearbox should be upgraded. So in goes the long first gear , the long second gear, the quaiffe atb diff ; the oil cooler, the new bearings and so on =boom the gearbox is 6000 USD
- oh i forgot the high performance clutch system = 1500 USD.
SO 20000 USD versus planned 7500 USD, do i realy need it => no; the car would be probably almost as fast with the budget drivetrain and probably more reliable,

My advice. You can defenitely build a nice and fast slc <70k USD, but you have to plan your budget very exact and stick to it. The car will perfom exceptional even in a very basic form ( last years RCR run and gun SLC had all the standard parts and no more than 550 HP).The smart thing is you can upgrade the things time by time based on your exprience with the car and not based on assumptions.
ITS all up to you

TOM

Thats refreshing to hear that im not the only one that believes its possible to do the car for reasonable money, and no matter what you do you can upgrade anything later.. my goal is performance performance, performance... i want lots of power/ very low weight.. if i bought a junkyard ls3, do a crazy cam, and some head work with some long tubes and i dont need any emissions in NC.. 500-550whp is well within reach for very very reasonable money. i get so excited just talking about it... hahahaha

Have you ever built a kit car before? (and by built, I mean build from the ground up, not purchase as a roller and just slot in an engine and say 'done')

If not, the one thing I can tell you is that you can sit here with your excel sheet and make the most detailed budget ever and come in at whatever pricepoint you want on paper, but fact is, especially if you've never built one from the ground up before, you're going to blow right through it. Everybody's who's built a decent kit car themselves, especially on their first one, will tell you the same thing. Expenses just keep racking up and you just have to keep tossing money at it.

For example, cheapest tires (I'm using the 18/19 setup, don't like the CCWs, too short and stubby) at tirerack cost me almost $2k. Now we need a fuel setup - another 1k for a pump, regulator, filter, and all the nice misc. things we need. Electrical - a few more thousand for tools and supplies (okay, you could save money by, for example, using pliers instead of purchasing a weather pak crimper, but then you'll be like those on the FFR site wondering why their connections are all randomly failing). And the list just keeps going on and on and......

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you - I'm not - I'm merly trying to give you more insight so you can think if it's the right project for you. I'd hate for you to become like some people I've seen on the cobra forum, where, for example, 25k is a lot of money to them and they're determined to build a cobra for that, but are unable to and have to sell it because they can't afford to finish it (or it sits for god knows how many years). Or, alternatively, their car keeps over-heating because of a crappy radiator, but rather than spend $1000 for a proper one for their engine setup, they try spending $500 again on a crappy one to try and save money. Trying to save money when building usually never works :eek:

It's sorta like building a home from ground up: My first home was "open checkbook" 10500SF under roof, top line everything. Any budget concerns went out the door with the 4 spas, Viking appliances.....etc....etc! My second "empty nester" 3700SF home fit within my more conservative budget but I did have to make more practical decisions along the way. But, I'm still quite happy and comfortable with the smaller home!

My build is closer to "open checkbook", but that's the decision I made from the start. I agree that you can probably get into an SL-C in the $60 - $70-ish thousand range all in.

Fortunately, with the SL-C deluxe kit version, most of the hard parts are done such suspension bolted together, bodywork pinned, etc. Do a nut & bolt check and alignment and you'll be close there. No real single expense items other than engine/gearbox and upholstery and paint. Take your time with the build and budget for options and your desired additions as you go. Every build takes at least twice the time you plan and you really get to do some things three times. Heed the advice given by both Doc and EFNFAST. You'll be much happier. I'm thrilled although I have exceeded my planned build time threefold and not done yet! I made a lot of additions and changes to suit myself. This EATS time.

Back