Importing a completed kit car from outside the US...

There's more to it than that.
The big catch when importing a complete car is meeting the DOT laws. This is where it gets expensive and stupid.

In the 1980's it was very popular to buy European high end cars and ship them to the USA . (grey market cars)

The dollar was strong and you could make good deals on cars such as the 911 turbo or 500sl.
Only problem was that you had to take it to a "government authorized" shop for the DOT/EPA conversion.
This is where they would install the US version headlights, a seat belt wrning buzzer, impact bars in the doors, etc.

The drawback was that you paid ridiculouly high prices for some of the worst hack up jobs I have ever seen.

I have worked on many grey market cars, trying to straighten out and fix the butchering some of the cars have gone through. I have seen catalytic converters mounted in a way that could easily catch the car on fire! Air/smog pumps mounted by hanging it off of the alternator.
Carbon cannisters for the fuel system mounted with tie straps, etc.

The sickest part is that it can cost from 5 to 10 thousand dollars to do the DOT conversion at these shops.

There is a list of the "authorized shops" on the gov't DOT site somewhere, as I used to have it.

At one time, I wanted to bring a rare model Mercedes to the states & called to DOT to see if I could do all of the conversion work myself, and then have it inspected.
NOPE, you must go through one of the shops on their list.....even if the car needs nothing done to it, it has to be processed through one of those listed shops.

This is what I experienced about three years ago,,,,,so some laws may have changed since then.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I do not pretend to authority on this, but my understanding is that the best way to bring a car into the USA is to remove the entire drive train and bring the car in as an "assemblage of parts" rather than a complete running auto. The driveline should be shipped in separately at a different time, labeled as used parts. They can be reunited later on. An engine that can be shown to be made before emissions controls were in effect is, I believe, exempt from EPA restrictions.
An import agent or customs house broker who is familiar with bringing cars in can assist you with this. Make sure it is someone who has imported cars before, and GET REFERENCES!!!

NASA, yes the EPA recognizes kit cars as originals if they are in the same configuation with respect to engine, exhaust, and even gearing. So no problem there. But like Alain said, the DOT is the road block. They go by the year make of the car, which has to meet the safety standards of that year, i.e. 1990 bumper standards. Since we can't hang bumpers on GTs, they are not importable. As Jim said, if the drive train is removed, then it is not considered a car and can be brought in as car parts. When I talked to the DOT in D.C. they said that if the engine and trans was shipped separately, they would find out and I would be in trouble. You may source an engine here and see if the trans can come with the "parts". Contact Dennis McNamara at Dependable Auto Shippers at 1-800-626-2505 (x-650). He's done this forever and is super to work with.

Dennis MacNamara is/was handling my shipment. He is bringing in my car from Australia. His fees are pretty much in line with everyone elses.they handled avery phase of the shipping.We were thrown a few curves by the seller of my car. Dennis was able to solve each one without a hitch. The seller was supposed to containerize the car and remove the engine and trans. He didn't. The containerizing Dennis handled without a hitch. We didn't find out that the engine was still in the car until it was on the ocean. My salvation was to list the car as a race car. As wiring and hydraulics were not installed, it helped. If you ship parts with the car, you will have to list them individually, and have a value placed on each piece. In the forms that you will have to fill out, it is spelled out rather distinctly. There are only 3 or 4 choices for you to make for customs clearance. The customs people will have to have a letter from EPA and/or DOT for clearance if it comes in as a complete automobile. If it doesn't meet their standard, you are out of luck. Customs can impound your car/cause you to export the car/or even destroy your car.They have the ultimate authority when it comes to bringing a car into the US. With todays events, they are getting tougher on those standards.
You have to ask yourself the question "Is it worth the hassel and expense?" As stated above you are better off bringing the car in as a "chassis" or "auto parts". You can purchase an engine here in the US. You don't need the hassel or the cost of shipping to bring a motor over. They are too plentiful and cheap. You can use that shipping money to buy a Kinsler Fuel Injection Unit.
I have written an article for Ron about this very issue. Since my car has cleared customs, I am going to update it an post it here, as there are some new "things" that need to be added to it. As Roseann Roseanna Danna used to say "You know, its always something" Dennis is the man on the east coast to get things done.
Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Tomorrow, when I am home,I will post two useful names and numbers on this topic, who have agreed to answer questions and help out; one is Dick Merritt at DOT. Dick has been bringing Ferraris into the country since before Enzo wore sunglasses and he is a very good source of reliable information. He also recommended an import agent which I will post, unfortunately I am at work and don't have it with me.
The key thing is that a non-running assemblage of parts will have far less trouble (ie none) getting into the USA than anything that resembles a running car. The extra expense of removing the engine and transaxle will be more than compensated for by the lack of headaches AND the fact that an assembly can be valued at less than a running car, thereby reducing your import duty.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Dick Merritt suggested those needing to import cars from outside the US call:

Cosdel International Transportation
Martin E Button, Inc
415 777 2000
fax 415 543 5112
email: [email protected]

These folks arrange shipping for the Monterey auctions and are very much experienced.

Back