Introduction

Hello All,

I have been visiting this forum for several months and decided it was time to become a member of your fine community. Although I don't currently have a GT40 of any type, I do hope to start to build a replica in the next year or so. Hopefully I can get some good feedback from those of you that have already gone before me (and it appears that many of you have).

I have been a car and motorcycle guy since I was about 10 years old. Although many other cars and motorcycles have passed through my hands over the years (mostly British), I have never scratch built a car or assembled a kit. My current "interesting" cars are a 1961 Lotus Elite (disassembled and undergoing a lifetime restoration) and a 1967 Intermeccanica Italia (complete and running in fair condition). I have amassed a nice collection of workshop tools over the years, have a fairly complete machine shop, and feel I can build about anything, but generally never have enough time or money to work my way through my "bucket" list.

I am impressed with the amount of talent I have seen in the builder logs and other sections of this forum, you have an amazing group of members. I am looking to forward to learning more about the various options to build a GT40. I will put a separate post up in a more appropriate section asking for some general feedback on the different kit options (I am sure the long time members tire of seeing the same questions, sorry).

Best Regards to all, Bill

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

Welcome!

It sounds like you will fit right in!

If a person is serious about their quest, I'm pritty sure that the same old questions will be answered with great joy:)

The guys just love to talk about this stuff!

Last edited:
Welcome Bill. Nothing you'll do or ask will not have been attempted or tried by this world wide group of fantastic engineers. I am always amazed at what I see or read on this forum and the quality of work completed. Keep us posted on your selection of vehicle and post plenty of pics. My input on a kit....A CAV. Contact Johann at CAV in NC. You'll see a "POP UP" on the forum for his website. I own a CAV so I'm biased but you'll find other great kits mentioned on here too. Good Luck.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to Gt40s.com Bill!

As the others have said and you probably already know - there is a wealth of information, talent and HELP that can be found here...

Bill,
Welcome to the forum.
Seeing you live in PA go to Carlisle for the kit car nationals and then the Ford nationals and check out the kits as there are always many different vendors on hand.

Regards
Mark

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum. By all means take the trip to the Carlisle show, there is a good mix of all cars not just GT40's that show up. Stop by the Tornado booth and say hi. I'll have my GT,although not finished, on display along with Scott Calabro's finished car.
Again, welcome to the forum.
Bill

Bill,

Having partly finished a '40, I can simply say that I have never met a more intelligent and knowledgeable set of people when it comes to cars than on this site. I am in awe of their knowledge and experience, and I'm sure you will benefit from it in the same way that I have.

Good luck in your choice!

Graham.

Welcome to GT40´s

Although as mentioned there is a wealth of know how on this site, every new member is adding to that as well.

Have fun

TOM

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I was going to attempt to make it to the Carlisle Kit Car Nationals and maybe also the SAAC meet at VIR at the end of May. Do many GT40's (original and / or replica's) show up at the SAAC events?

Hi All,

It is with great sadness that I tell you of Bill Brownlee's passing this past November 2013. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011. Despite all of our efforts to combat and control the disease we could never put a dent in the power of the disease. Bill said it was the only thing he ever encountered in his life that he couldn't fix. For the record, Bill never smoked and lived a fairly healthy lifestyle.

I do believe that he purchased Bill Tuttle's RF40 car that was listed on here a few years ago. I don't know much about the cars but am now facing having to sell it. I'm sure Bill did some work on it and true to his nature, took great care of it. It is currently in Export, PA. It is street legal and registered in Ohio.

I don't currently know what he paid for it. My oldest son Kevin, however, has at least a semi-working knowledge of the car, has worked on it with his Dad, been to car shows with him showing it, and has driven it so I can direct some questions to him.

If any of you has suggestions on how to best resell this car or know anyone that is interested in it I would appreciate all the help I can get.

You all seem like a great group of guys that support one another and have a great working knowledge of the GT40's and other things mechanic. Thank you in advance for any help.

Along the same lines, Bill has a full workshop of tools of all description including lathes, milling machines, etc. Right now the search for an auctioneer for this equipment is underway. Again, suggestions and help is most appreciated.

Sadly and thankfully to you all,

Kathie Brownlee

PS I tried to get Mario Andretti to call Bill as his "Make A Wish" as I know Bill always admired Mario. I never did here from the man...wonder what I did wrong? LOL....

Kathie,
Deepest condolences in your loss.

We have very knowledgable members here on the forum that will be able to assist. If you wish to sell the car you will need to become a member at the lowest level, which is $35. In the meantime, I would suggest taking as many photos as possible so it will help us help you evaluate the worth etc

As for the tools and other parts/tools that you may wish to part with. You can always post them in the Garage Sale section (which is free) and thus would mean then you don't have to get an auctioneer (and their fees) involved.

Once again thoughts are with you

Brett

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm sorry to hear about Bill's passing. I've sent you a private message with some details of how we can help get the car listed on the site.

Best wishes to you and the family.

Ron

Hi Kathie Sorry to hear this news, Glad Bill was able to drive and enjoy the car. As others have said this is a great group of Guys here that will help you sell this car. I was hoping to meet Bill one day as I have RF052 and live near Erie PA. and would have loved to have parked them side by side. PM sent. Wally

may be enterested

Hi Kathie Sorry for your loss I am looking for a car not up on RFs I need to do some research on them any info pics on your car would help u may want to join the forum I just did and its a big help for info.Thank you John Runyan

Welcome to the adventure. I would recommend reading builder logs, it's really helpful. I am starting a build with an older kit. Didn't realize how little the space is inside and that it's not really a weekend car unless you are by yourself because there's little room for luggage. I am about 3 hours from you in keyser if you ever want to come and see my project. The really good thing with sites like this is looking at the workmanship of the people that show their work, it's really amazing how good these guys are with their projects. Also look at dates. Some builds are more than 5 years in process. I think there is also a difference between builders that start from scratch and assembliers that use existing kits. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but it all comes down to your abilities and financial abilities. There's so much help out there for the asking, so I never feel alone. Have fun

Keith

Kathy posted on Bill's GT40s account so I would guess you could PM her via that method and she would get your message ok.

Back