Is the right to bear arms outdated.

Keith

This isn't really related to "bearing arms" is it? If your home is invaded and you and your family are threatened, you have two clear choices and those are dependent on your own abilities and those of the perp(s). There is no point whatever in making pointless sacrifices. It might look good in the obit column but does nothing to alleviate the immediate situation.

To negotiate & placate seems to be the official advice but I think that sends all the wrong messages.

It is my philosophy never to give ground or let the 'enemy' gain any. No hesitation, in hard on the leader close & personal. After all, you are on your own turf.

Everyone should think through the possibility of a home invasion. We live in difficult times and a risk assessment plus a bit of forward planning would not go amiss, and might give you a deadly advantage. I know I did, and still do even though I live in a safe town. I have, er, weapons stashed at convenient locations and always have a closely followed security routine when entering, leaving or being at home even though disabled, as some would think that gave them the advantage of easy pickings.

Not paranoid, just careful and no fucker is going to foot a foot across my threshold uninvited, and if he does, he might be going away without it.

We'll worry about his "human rights" later.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Totally agree Keith, I have CCTV and a sign saying so (that assumes the bad guys can read a big assumption these days) I also have weapons stashed around the house, not guns, guns are banned in Oz. I have been burgled twice prior to CCTV being installed and both times the cops were unable to apprehend the bad guys, so crime does pay it seems.

Every angle around my property is covered by CCTV. Every room contains a deadly weapon. If the intruder is not put off by any of that, I'll just set the Mrs. on him!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
We use the TVAD system, we dont need a sign.

(TVAD) Two very alert dogs.

I had an Old English sheep dog the first time I was burgled, he nearly licked the burglars to death. When an alert neighbor rang the cops and K9 turned up well after the bad guys had fled my dog attacked the police dog!!!!
:stunned:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

I used to wonder about that too....

Until one day I came home, the power was out, so our dogs did not hear the garage door open.

I came in through the front door, Piper our five year old heard the latch and came down the hall to investigate, he saw some movement and without hesitation, like a shot, he came at me with fire in his eye. At about half distance he saw it was me, but quite frankly it was a scary situation, he was very serious, he didn't bark, just bared teeth and a deep scary growl....

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

They are alert, protecitve Cardigan Corgies, large dogs, short legs, big ears (the better to hear you) big teeth (the better to bite you):)

Corgis are actually ranked very high as [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Us-Playstation-3/dp/B007CM0K86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351199711&sr=8-2&keywords=watch+dogs"]watch dogs[/ame], and surprisingly high as protection dogs, on the sites that rank such traits. Remember, these are serious working dogs, part of their job as cattle dogs was to keep the other guy's cows away from his own cow's space and biting is part of the job discripion.

There are two kinds of Corgies, Pembrook, the kind the Queen has, they are smaller and have no tails. This is my buddy Toby, he is a Cardigan Corgie, large tail and not to be messed with.

18283_10151351239010350_1086854017_n.jpg

This is Piper, he is the alpha, always alert, the look in his eye says all you need to know.

cardigan-welsh-corgi-13.jpg

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I also have weapons stashed around the house, not guns, guns are banned in Oz.

Uuuuuuuuh huh...which means 'twill only be PERPS who have guns if they invade your place.

'Makes p-e-r-f-e-c-t sense to me...............NOT.

Idiot politicians...

I feel for you and your fellow citizens, 'mate'.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Uuuuuuuuh huh...which means 'twill only be PERPS who have guns if they invade your place.

'Makes p-e-r-f-e-c-t sense to me...............NOT.

Idiot politicians...

I feel for you and your fellow citizens, 'mate'.

You are right of course, gun crime has not decreased. Gun deaths have decreased primarily because they are no longer available to potential suicide victims.

I love compassionate Christian Seniors..

A woman had just returned to her home from an evening of church services,
when she was startled by an intruder.

She caught the man in the act of robbing her home of its valuables and
yelled: 'Stop! Acts 2:38!' (Repent and be Baptized, in the name of Jesus
Christ, so that your sins may be forgiven.)

The burglar stopped in his tracks. The woman calmly called the police and
explained what she had done.

As the officer cuffed the man to take him in, he asked the burglar:
'Why did you just stand there? All the old lady did was yell a scripture to
you.'

'scripture?' replied the burglar. 'She said she had an Ax and Two 38's!'

I had an Old English sheep dog the first time I was burgled, he nearly licked the burglars to death. When an alert neighbor rang the cops and K9 turned up well after the bad guys had fled my dog attacked the police dog!!!!
:stunned:

Sorry Pete but that is the best laugh I have had for a while, hilarious :)

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Muffled 22 magnum keeps the noise and the cleanup to a minimum. But a double 12ga with rock salt is cruel and unusual punishment, I like that, It hurts more. The Uzi just would mess up the house. The 9mm Glock usually requires alot of cleanup. The baseball bat with the nails usually requires space and swing speed. And the cops are always a half hour away. LOL.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

They are alert, protecitve Cardigan Corgies, large dogs, short legs, big ears (the better to hear you) big teeth (the better to bite you):)

This is Piper, he is the alpha, always alert, the look in his eye says all you need to know.

cardigan-welsh-corgi-13.jpg

Beautiful animal Jim..

Here is CoCoa.. While she looks for the world like a PURSE-DOG, let me assure you, she think's she's a PERS DOG as in PERSonal bodyguard... Like many small dogs, she think's she's a lot bigger than what she is. She's not afraid of anything and has speed on her side to terrorize larger bullies.. Her teeth are sharp as razors and have made short work of squirrels and would have done in a jack rabbit had I not called her off..
She's got incredible hearing and learns quickly what sounds to discount (our neighbors voices in their driveway etc.)...

If nothing else, her ears are far more keen than mine are and gives me time to react..

BTW - this is a very polarizing topic.. Like politics and religion, there are people on both sides. We just need to know that people will have different views and vantage points and respect that..

Okay so my iPad wants to post the picture upside down... Grrr.. I even tried flipping it.. I guess that's Steven Jobs thumbing his nose at the world..

Edit - photobucket to the rescue!

7f28df5d451c8f6ecb32bb74d0f911fd_zps8cf32177.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

marc

Lifetime Supporter
They both look like they can do real damage - to a chew toy.
Where do you stick the winder key?
My ankles are in deep doo doo
Do they like to bark or just roll over for a belly rub?
How many couches and rugs have had to be replaced?
Do you have a step stoop next to the bed so they can sleep at your feet?
How sarcastic can I be when I have a Pekinese?

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 155
They both look like they can do real damage - to a chew toy.
Where do you stick the winder key?
My ankles are in deep doo doo
Do they like to bark or just roll over for a belly rub?
How many couches and rugs have had to be replaced?
Do you have a step stoop next to the bed so they can sleep at your feet?
How sarcastic can I be when I have a Pekinese?

Underestimate Corgis at your own peril. I have no idea how big or strong you are, but I suspect a cow is probably bigger and stronger. having come across a few bolshy cows myself I certainly would be reluctant to tackle them.

There again maybe we should not be putting this information out there and hopefully a few bad guys will underestimate them as well :)

"Unfortunately, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi breed has a world-wide reputation of biting that's been well-earned by certain members of the breed. Why is this? Is it due to their herding ancestry where for this smaller breed to herd cattle they had to push hard and nasty if the cattle pushed them?"

Keith

The question is: During a Home Invasion, would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

Discuss.

Back