James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

Cheers Dave

Got my Dad's radio from a car he had in the '60s. Will need to swap out the internals so I can get FM and add an amplifier...

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 308
I've been working in Mexico so haven't done a huge amount recently. But back now and it's great to be in the garage again :).

I've got the tunnel in. Welded the top joints and will weld the other sides when the chassis is next turned over.

Started cutting out the sections for the horseshoe too...

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 488
Looking good! I've been looking at harness mounting at the moment and I make it that the front one/two (depending on if 5 or 6 point harness) will want to go right in the middle of the gap between those two flat bars on the floor. I'm thinking I might weld in a 3rd just for the attachment points. You might only be intending on a 4-point in which case it's moot but worth thinking about now if thinking 5/6-point.

Also you might want to hold off on the welding up of the closure bar for the horseshoe until you have your engine/gearbox in place. The originals attached the gearbox to it and I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with the 01E but it would need a bit of a support bracket round the attachment points.

Cheers David

I had a discussion with Mrs harvs about seat belts the other day. Let's say I didn't really sell the idea of a 6 point harness too well, so the current plan is 4-point :).

Will give the gearbox mounting some thought - thanks.

Still worth considering the attachments for 5/6, you can always leave the 5/6th belt(s) off and just run a 5/6 point as a 4 point. It's one of those things though that's far harder to sort later (although doable).

Also while I'm (nearly) on the subject have you considered seat rails or will the seat be fixed? I got a set of the 'low profile' 19mm ones from KDR Seating and they only overlap the steel bracing in the floor by about 10mm each end. You've gone with a wider brace at the back but so you might not have the same problem but again better to consider this problem now than when you've attached the floor!

Cheers Dave. Yep, instantly seeing the result of your effort is great for motivation. Hope I can keep some motivation for the slower / less visible bits :)

David. Good idea - definitely easier to weld in some extra threaded tube now, rather than later. Current plan is to fix the seat directly to the floor. I'm not particularly tall (5'10") but being lower to the ground and having additional head room (especially with a roll bar) can only be a good thing. If anyone shorter drives it, I can supply a cushion!

I was thinking to stick the seat on rails to start with but in the end decided that while maybe not ideal for other drivers to not be able to adjust the seat I don't care. :)

The main advantage I can see to it is that it would make access to the rear hatch easier as otherwise will have to remove seats to gain access. If I ever sell and the next owner is short in the leg/arm they can always re-drill the seat pan.

Anyway, I've been thinking long and hard about the 5/6th mounting and in the end decided the only way to do it with the seat on the floor is to put the mounts on the front brace and add a bar where the seat angles up. Basically create a 'H' shaped piece to sit under the seat and they'd bolt in where there is plenty of space due to the front angle.

The belts would then go back and up round the bar, this was the only way I could think to get the seat as low as possible as otherwise the belts would bolt on above the seat pan! I suppose you could also mount them behind and run them forwards in the same way as well.

Welded up the horseshoe bits and also had time to have a quick play with a vertical slide I got for my birthday a little while ago. I'm hoping I'll be able to make the door handles with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 367
Just about got the horseshoe set up for tacking and welding. When I set out to build the chassis, I don't think I fully appreciated that welding would only amount to about 1% of the effort with 99% spent measuring, checking measurements, cutting, filing, checking measurements, setting out, measuring, checking measurements, bit of grinding, more measuring then a tiny bit of welding! Glad I can still remember pythagoras and trigonometry :)

Attachments

• IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 506
Ah, the wine rack - one of my favourite tools in the garage. When I can't get my regular tools to do what I want, the wine rack often throws up some interesting solutions! And if that fails, there's always the beer cabinet... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 405
James:
Very nice job on the horse collar...I reckon we would never get anything done with that wine rack in the room.
I was wondering how your gearbox will mount, and what your crossmember will look like on top.
Fabulous job...and I can seriously relate to the measuring, re-measuring, tacking, fitting, re-measuring etc. I would also add the do-overs but we chalk them up to experience.
I am enjoying watching your build, can't wait to see it with shoes on.
Cheers
Phil

Cheers Phil

Yep, I forgot to include all the time spent correcting, re-doing and 'improving'....!

Gearbox mount. Darrin's got a good photo of this on his build log, post 143. I'll probably do something similar, maybe a mild steel bracket with a gusset for a little extra strength.

For the cross member, you can just about see this in the photo, left side of the table. I've got some angle iron temporarily bolted in to keep everything aligned during fabrication.

Shoes - yep, that moment will be a real milestone in the project and something I'm really excited about. Although the cost of some wheels makes my eyes water! Anyone got a spare set which need a new home?!

For part of the chassis there are a couple of tubes which have an angled cut at one end and an angled cut which joints another round tube at the other end.

For the end joining another tube, there's a neat programme here which provides a template you can use to make the cut.

For the plain angled cut I build a little jig. Think I should have made it a bit shorter though as it's very tiring and I think I've worn the middle of the blade out!

Attachments

• tube angle.jpg
    tube angle.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 331
The horseshoe is all welded up now (just need to add a couple more cross braces to the engine area) and I've welded the steering rack mount in place. It was nice to (temporarily) install a component on the chassis after working with steel stock for so long!

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Got the top level in place now, and a couple of engine bay diagonals. It's starting to feel a bit bigger now :)

Attachments

• IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 385

NickD

Supporter
James,

That's looking really good. I picked up my Steering Rack at the weekend and am also looking forward to actually fitting something to the chassis other than other bits of chassis ;-)

Nick.

Back