Jimmymac & Alistair's Cars

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Cheers Mark,
Plenty of bar stock here mate.
That 3rd bracket hole is always a problem as it only fits Ford 289/302 heads by the way.
So watch out for it when you are boring your castings.

Casting just back from the foundry ,not as nice as yours James but with a little work will come right ,still got the origanl that fits our heads so will use that as the template for holes etc,thanks for the heads up now I will leave the rest untouched so can be fitted by application

Casting just back from the foundry ,not as nice as yours James but with a little work will come right ,still got the origanl that fits our heads so will use that as the template for hols etc,thanks for the heads up now I will leave the rest untouched so can be fitted by application

Attachments

• 6657C353-3D5A-4629-8B78-140FB55F1EE7.jpeg
    6657C353-3D5A-4629-8B78-140FB55F1EE7.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 583
I got one of these alternator mounts from Jay Cushmann, I wasn't aware that they only worked on a particular set of heads. thought the heads were interchangeable between the 8.2" and 9.5" beck height blocks?

Ryan

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I can confirm that the alternator bracket does not fit AFR 351 heads exactly. We had to alter the holes in my bracket to get it to fit.

Looking good James.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Haven't got any photos of the re-drilled bracket before fitting Ryan, but the changes required weren't much. The two middle holes were increased in diameter about 1 mm each (which allowed the bolts to be screwed in) and the top one moved to the left (as you are looking at the front of the engine) by about 2 mm.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ryan,
Brian is correct, been there and done it.

Another cure is to turn down an offset stud to avoid corrupting your bracket casting.
Alistair's bracket is going onto a new engine with Windsor heads soon so this is my temporary fix until then.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Brett and to you :thumbsup:
Restoring some more fuel taps this week.
I had to laugh when this XXL tap came in.
More Lancaster than Spitfire but I kept it. It might look good on the alloy beer barrel at roll out day !

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7f6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7f6.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 556

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Brake cooling ducts started.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7f7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7f7.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 568
  • fullsizeoutput_7f8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7f8.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 534

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Well the body's 50 Shades Of Grey is over and it is going to be primed and painted blue next week.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7f9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7f9.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 560

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just seeing the car in one shade of primer has got to set your heart to fluttering!
Does mine!!!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy, sometimes it's been a slog for us all.
Hopefully we can get everything in and buttoned up this year on it's tenth birthday.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Today we did a trial fit of the mock-ups for the front brake ducts which went well and they are going in nicely.
The rears are a bit more fiddley.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_833.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_833.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 542

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The first Gulf racer which was originally a road car had these and we all like the styling.
The hollows inside the shell protect my radiator.

Back