Joe’s AP MK1 Gt40 build

Mine is 100mm (4”) 4 row,should be more than enough. I believe the 50mm (2”) 2 row is what many use with no issue but i could be wrong. Being chris supplied us both with kit id assume you received the same?

I believe mine is 2". Time to call Chris. I'd rather have too much radiator than not enough...especially at the track and with AC.

First startup attempt failed. Starter is not strong enough to spin my motor its struggling. I should of known when i first saw it but figured if they supply it,should work.Company is closed till mon for me to ask what there supplied starter is for smh. Any chance does anyone know how to cross reference a starter? Pic is what they supplied I need to cross reference that to a high torque starter so i can order one today.
ED4ED026-15D6-4CB8-BC61-26E84CC5C1EA.png

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Joe, here’s what I came up with. There are a couple numbers in the rock auto post that cross to yours. Look under AC Delco.

Regards Brian
6C743AAD-9997-43CD-9FB5-CAD51E9B9826.jpeg

Joe, here’s what I came up with. There are a couple numbers in the rock auto post that cross to yours. Look under AC Delco.

Regards Brian
View attachment 128875
Great,thank you for info.now to convert that to a hi torque starter lol.
Joe

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Their customer service is currently closed, but DB Electrical has been very helpful to me in past. Good hard to find parts, priced reasonably and delivered promptly in the experiences I’ve had with them.

Regards Brian

Hi Joe. I had the same problem with the starter Kennedy (KEP) supplied. It wont turn my engine. I talked to Brett from KEP about this. The starter they use at least for my combo ( BBC to 997.1) was from a Toyota Hilux with 22R engine. KEP was not able to provide me a much stronger starter. I looked and I found a starter made by Mean Green. Its for a 1984-1993 4 runner 2.5 KW gear reduction starter. A perfect fit for mine. It started my engine with no problem. Hope this helps. Good luck.

That Delco reman is just 1 KW motor. If you can find one for a diesel with the same flange you're in business.

Believe it or not, I've had a $50 ebay chinese gear reduction starter on my 427 in the cobra for 12 years and it spins that thing 300 RPM. I think all of those chinese starters use the same motor and gear train but just a different snout and maybe pinion. If they make one for the toyota that looks the same it may be worth throwing $50 at it.

Any reman is going to be the same pissy little 1KW motor, but a new aftermarket will more likely have the same generic 2.5KW motor.

I also have the same cheap ass ebay starter on the 383 in my old vette, and it beats the hell out of the 500 lb lug that Chevy provided in 1971.

Looks like the same flange but with a 1.4KW motor. So far I've seen 3 different toyota starter flanges. Seems odd Toyota would use a AC Delco starter.

If you have a friend with a mill, you could easily make a new face for that Powermaster listed above. Looks like an aluminum flange that's application specific bolts on with 2 bolts.

I'm still waiting on a transaxle to see what sort of monkey buisness I'll be into for this. I think ours uses a Porsche Starter, just to peel an extra benny or two out of the wallet.

Any input from Chris? I picked up a NOS 997 axle from him and will be going with a similar motor. Interested to see how this turns out.

No luck with anyone KE,DB electric,speedway,summit,etc. I’m waiting on a call back from powermasters direct. I think I found 1 but want to talk to them first about it. I’m thinking it’s going to be the powermasters XS 9514 starter. I’ll update shortly.

Spoke to powermasters today, that starter will not work nir do they sell one that will smh. After talking to the guy he said my starter is more than enough to turn my motor so that got me thinking. I came home checked everything and am thinking i got a bad starter.. i have 12.84v at battery terminal on starter and 7.2v on the Solenoid ignition wire when crank. if i disconnect ign wire from starter and turn key to start i have 12.84 at same wire. Thoughts? Im thinking starter

do you have the engine block grounded well? I use a 4 gauge battery cable from the battery to the frame and from that same point on the frame 4 gauge to the starter bolt that holds the starter to the bell housing.

mark

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Spoke to powermasters today, that starter will not work nir do they sell one that will smh. After talking to the guy he said my starter is more than enough to turn my motor so that got me thinking. I came home checked everything and am thinking i got a bad starter.. i have 12.84v at battery terminal on starter and 7.2v on the Solenoid ignition wire when crank. if i disconnect ign wire from starter and turn key to start i have 12.84 at same wire. Thoughts? Im thinking starter

Connect both +/- cables directly from the battery to the starter (- goes to the starter mounting bolt) then jumper from the positive to the solenoid energizer pole on the starter. If your battery is fully charged, that engine should spin over just fine. If not, then I suspect you have a problem with the starter itself….

do you have the engine block grounded well? I use a 4 gauge battery cable from the battery to the frame and from that same point on the frame 4 gauge to the starter bolt that holds the starter to the bell housing.

mark
Yes all grounds are good. Head,block,trans all have there own 4g ground. I’m going to try grounding starter bolt aswell.
thanks

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Can you put a socket on the crank nut and turn the motor overly with a standard 1/2" drive. IF so Starter issue if not I agree with Ian start looking for interference issues with bolts, pull plugs and check the rotation by hand as well.

Back