Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the seats, shifter and steering wheel mounted in their final place. The shifter mount can now be welded in place. I'm 6'1" and I have the seats slid as far back as they can go. There is no way the center console will fit. The drivers seat is perfectly centered with the steering wheel and the passenger seat installed so that your feet aren't cocked too far to one side. I kinda like the beefy looking shifter as is. Gives it a unique look.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 326
  • 006-1.jpg
    006-1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Don't forget to add a deadman pedal. Your left foot will thank you. It's mandatory in my opinion.

UPDATE- I later removed it and just rest my left foot on the billet lower control arm bracket.

Attachments

• 001_zps902788bd.jpg
    001_zps902788bd.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Ken - I noted your emergency brake handle on the leftside of the seat - are your emergency brake cables a different length. I haven't received my cables yet so I have nothing to reference. -- Sharkey

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken - I noted your emergency brake handle on the leftside of the seat - are your emergency brake cables a different length. I haven't received my cables yet so I have nothing to reference. -- Sharkey

I requested that they be made different lengths for the handbrake on the left side of the drivers seat. I haven't received mine yet either.

UPDATE- they are not custom made………both cables are the same length.

Last edited:
I have plumbed everything in steel braid hose, so I bought Steel braided E brake cables made by Lokar to match the rest. They look great, extra long, beefy and look like they are easy to fit. I haven't finished this part up yet I am waiting for the splined stub axles from Fran so I haven't been able to install the E brake calipers yet. Ken did yours come with E brakes calipers installed ? I was wondering if they get drilled and tapped into the thicker side of the main body or if they are bolted through the 1/4" flange. Also I was looking the hand brake lever from a 06-09 solstice it has a nice offset and may fit right up beside the shifter.
Cheers,
Grant

...There is no way the center console will fit. The drivers seat is perfectly centered with the steering wheel and the passenger seat installed so that your feet aren't cocked too far to one side...
007-2.jpg

Ken, I have read a few statements of late stating that they could not get the center console to fit while centering the driver seat with the steering wheel. Is this a function of using aftermarket seats (not sure if yours are or not) over the standard ones from RCR? Maybe Fran can comment as well as there may be multiple issues that affect the console fit that I am not aware of.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I haven't received my hand brake calipers yet Grant.

My seats are fairly close together so I had no room for the hand brake lever in the center. I found that my elbow would hit the lever when shifting to 2, 4 or 6.

Ken, I have read a few statements of late stating that they could not get the center console to fit while centering the driver seat with the steering wheel. Is this a function of using aftermarket seats (not sure if yours are or not) over the standard ones from RCR? Maybe Fran can comment as well as there may be multiple issues that affect the console fit that I am not aware of.

I'm a little puzzled by this. My seats and console fit fine, as did the red car from RCR. And both were/are centered on the column. Both cars have the factory console, one with the factory seats and mine with the same B5s shown above.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Doc my seats are very narrow. They are Tillet B5s. They are as narrow as the seats that come in the kit. I spent many hours getting things to line up comfortably.

I did just reinstall the center console to see whats what. It does fit. I'll post a picture of it installed shortly.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, look forward to the pic. Since I am planning a street car rather than a racer, I want to go for the "full interior."

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of it just installed. I feel like an idiot for saying it wouldn't fit. My apologies! It actually feels really good sitting next to it. Dam

Attachments

• 006-1.jpg
    006-1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 003_zpsad626b05.jpg
    003_zpsad626b05.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ken - That looks really good! I'm glad you were able to work out the fitment of the console. If one wanted to have the seats closer together and still have a console it could always be narrowed - though you'd lose those snazzy cup holders! The Tillet B5s are starting to grow on me.....

Regards,
Dave L

I ended up using the B4 seats instead because of the improved bolstering and the more inclined seating position. The bolstering will make ingress/egress more difficult though, particularly since I do not have the sunken floor pan for the seats which would give more room to maneuver between the seat and steering column. I am 5'9" and 170 for reference and am pretty limber so it won't be an issue for me.

My center console does not fit centered with the dash with the seat centered behind the steering wheel, at least during mock-up attempts. I can offset the console towards the passenger side all the way and it fits and does not look bad or out of place but I have decided not to use it, at least at this stage. Just to be clear, I have only mocked up the positions at this point and that is the conclusion I came to, however, seeing as how the B5 and B4 seats are the same width more or less, I may need to reassess my findings.

I was curious much Tillets were ... $690 GBP ... ahhhh, I think I like my stock seats at that price for a seat, especially for how much I beat them up wiggling around in the car :D

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I was curious much Tillets were ... $690 GBP ... ahhhh, I think I like my stock seats at that price for a seat, especially for how much I beat them up wiggling around in the car :D

Had you not built all those fuel tanks you could have had a pair of Tillets!:stunned:

Alex, I'm a little confused. Could you expound on this please. What exactly were you beating and wiggling in the seat?

I'm excited with this car too, but....

Don't ruin the interior by getting stains on the headliner.:thumbsup:

Back