Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The inner circles drawn on the aluminum are the cut outs for each fan. These fans were born for this size shroud....lol. Now to cut it all out and have it tig welded together. The circles get cut out after it's all welded together. The sides will not be as deep as it shows in the picture. I'll leave them at 2"deep until I actually have the radiator in my hands.

IMG_2861.JPG

Joel K

Supporter
Nice find Ken and at a good price. Interesting that their 12” brushless are pusher fans. I was looking for 11” or 12” puller brushless fans but could not find them. Not sure if Spal makes them in that size.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Nice find Ken and at a good price. Interesting that their 12” brushless are pusher fans. I was looking for 11” or 12” puller brushless fans but could not find them. Not sure if Spal makes them in that size.
The 2017 Chevrolet Volt fans I'm using are a 12" brushless fan but I had to cut them out of the stock plastic shroud. The beauty of using a OEM fan is the fact I can buy the motor easily on E Bay or the dealer in the future if need be.

-Here is the part number for a 12" puller Spal brushless fan. IX-30107087. It is very similar to my Volt fans. I have never found them for sale though.
-Here is the part number for a 11" puller fan IX-30107059. Same thing....can't find them for sale.

The 10" Spal brushless fans fit the core area well. I bought them for the GT-R supercharger rads. They don't pull quite as much air but are still superior to most others. I can hold them up to the core and take a picture Joel if interested. PM or text me for a link to the Ebay add

I must tell you though Joel. In my honest opinion a shroud is needed for street use. Also....a 12" pair of fans will not fit without a custom shroud.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a link to the stock Volt fan

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of the 10" Spal brushless fans sitting on the SLC core. These fans are used on the Koenigsegg Jesko. They must be good....lol
The vendor only has three left. I bought the pair for $300. Not cheap and they require a PWM module. I was going to use these but I wanted a challenge in trying to mount a pair of 12" fans.

IMG_2863.JPG

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a picture of my 12" Spal Chevrolet Volt fans cut out of the plastic stock shroud and held up against the core. They are larger than the core so require a fancier shaped shroud but they maximize the core area. The shroud is currently under construction.
IMG_2862.JPG

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Very clever Ken, nice idea,

Joel, you are not using a Chevrolet Performance wiring harness so the PWM control is in the LT4 tune. You don't need a separate controller but hopefully the PWM signal wire was incorporated in the harness. Have you received it yet from Speartech? It can be added later as well.

For others with a Chevrolet Performance crate engine harness....unfortunately a PWM signal can't be used as Chevrolet blocked that feature in the ECM. Lots of hot rodders have tried to get it to work and been unsuccessful. Chevrolet Performance even admitted they have made it unusable. I have been following other forums on this subject.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Ken, I have not ordered the harness yet for a couple reasons, wanted to be able to measure where all the components go like fuel pump controller, EVAP pressure sensor and also for things like what you are describing. That is maybe they can incorporate PWM fans and also wondering if they can incorporate the Corvette vacuum pump and heat exchanger pump as well. Otherwise, I’ll need to go with a stand alone units. Figure I’ll create a list of items I may want the ECU to control and see if Speartech can accommodate the request.

Joel K

Supporter
Here is a picture of the 10" Spal brushless fans sitting on the SLC core. These fans are used on the Koenigsegg Jesko. They must be good....lol
The vendor only has three left. I bought the pair for $300. Not cheap and they require a PWM module. I was going to use these but I wanted a challenge in trying to mount a pair of 12" fans.

View attachment 100826

I looked at those Ken, for an LT4 build I am concerned they may not have enough CFM vs. the non brushless upgraded fans others have used like Maradyne and Mishimoto, If they were 11” or 12 “ I would give them a try.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I looked at those Ken, for an LT4 build I am concerned they may not have enough CFM vs. the non brushless upgraded fans others have used like Maradyne and Mishimoto, If they were 11” or 12 “ I would give them a try.
Be careful with published CFM outputs. There is no standard they all follow. Some companies inflate this amount. The current rating is a better indication of it's performance. Some fall flat when trying to draw air thru a thick rad core and A/C core. Spal are used by OEM on some high end cars. Mishimoto and Maradyne are not....just saying.
A 12" fan will definitely pull more air than a 10" fan. That is a fact when all else is equal. Unfortunately that will be out of the equation for you due to the fact it will require a custom shroud (you mentioned you don't have the extra depth needed). Compare 11" fans and their CFM ratings of about 1500 and then compare their required fuse size.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The Maradyne TA11A3001 11" fan costs $145. It is rated to pull 1300-1399cfm. It draws 11.2 amps. It uses the nosier straight blade fan design to accomplish this rating.

The Mishimoto MMFAN-11HD cost $120. It is rated at 1700cfm (I personally doubt it, especially when it only draws 11amps). It uses the nosier straight blade fan design. The frame looks very weak.

The Maradyne M122K 12" fan costs $112 and is popular with Allan. It's rated at 1565cfm. It draws 13.5 amps. It has a 225watt motor. It uses the quieter curved blade fan design.

You can get the 10" Spal brushless fan for $150. It is rated at 1345 cfm. It requires a 40amp fuse. It has a 300watt motor. I'm guessing it draws somewhere near 22amps. It uses the quieter curved blade design. It ramps up slowly and only runs as fast as it needs to bring the temps down (much quieter). The brushless design will last at least twice as long. The only down side is it requires a PWM signal. There are a few different modules that can be purchased.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
The Maradyne TA11A3001 11" fan costs $145. It is rated to pull 1300-1399cfm. It draws 11.2 amps. It uses the nosier straight blade fan design to accomplish this rating.

The Mishimoto MMFAN-11HD cost $120. It is rated at 1700cfm (I personally doubt it, especially when it only draws 11amps). It uses the nosier straight blade fan design. The frame looks very weak.

The Maradyne M122K 12" fan costs $112 and is popular with Allan. It's rated at 1565cfm. It draws 13.5 amps. It has a 225watt motor. It uses the quieter curved blade fan design.

You can get the 10" Spal brushless fan for $150. It is rated at 1345 cfm. It requires a 40amp fuse. It has a 300watt motor. I'm guessing it draws somewhere near 22amps. It uses the quieter curved blade design. It ramps up slowly and only runs as fast as it needs to bring the temps down (much quieter). The brushless design will last at least twice as long. The only down side is it requires a PWM signal. There are a few different modules that can be purchased.

Thanks Ken, always appreciate your help and all the detail.

Joel K

Supporter
Ken

I found a company called wizard cooling who will sell the 11” and 12” spal brushless fans with a shroud. Can you take a look and let me know if these are the 11” spal brushless you referred to? Very pricey, but maybe they will sell them without the shroud for a reasonable price.

The 12” looks like the pusher fan, but the 11 inch looks like a puller fan and size looks perfect for the SLC rad.

Thanks

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Ken,

Now that I look at the 11” closer both the 11” and 12” are pusher fans.

I’ll give them a call anyway and see if they can track down11” brushless puller fans.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken,

Now that I look at the 11” closer both the 11” and 12” are pusher fans.

I’ll give them a call anyway and see if they can track down11” brushless puller fans.

Both are actually puller fans. The spal brochure was incorrect. Call them for sure to verify. Their prices are very high though. I paid half for my 15.2 Spal fan from Kartek. Their price is about $480. I paid $240 from Kartek. I would call Kartek and inquire.

Last edited:
I believe the Spal 30103202 12" fans are an almost-direct swap for the RCR fans. Comments on Summit state the fans peak at 25amp on startup and 14 when running. I believe Allan may also be swapping his builds out for these fans in favor of the ones included in the kit. (Visually), they appeared to be about the same depth-wise, with the Spals being very slightly taller.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I believe the Spal 30103202 12" fans are an almost-direct swap for the RCR fans. Comments on Summit state the fans peak at 25amp on startup and 14 when running. I believe Allan may also be swapping his builds out for these fans in favor of the ones included in the kit. (Visually), they appeared to be about the same depth-wise, with the Spals being very slightly taller.

It's important to note that a pair of 12" fans will not fit on the SLC rad core...too wide. They will overlap on each tank by about an inch. The ideal fan to fit the core is a pair of 11" fans. Use 12' fans if you make a custom shroud but take in account the extra fabrication needed for proper sealing and clearance.

You are correct, Allan does not use the provided fans. I don't recall off the top of my head brand though.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is the finished Audi R8 shifter assembly for the future GT-R. The custom engraved push button switches just arrived from Australia. They are back lit. The one in the center is a ABS fault light. The ABS system can be turned on and off. The DSC button is a momentary push button to scroll thru the different modes of dynamic stability control. The only fault that works with the BMW stand alone system is if a wheel speed sensor fails.

IMG_2872.JPG

Last edited:
Back