Kiwi scratchbuilt

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have started playing around with fitment for the dry sump pump, waterpump and alternator which will all be mounted on the front motor plate. And the belt layout, pulleys etc.

First up it's obvious the brand new waterpump is miles too long. Time to turn it into a Kiwi shorty. So, strip it out and see what scope there is for shortening. This is what we started off with, 6.137" long.

Attachments

• WP b4.jpg
    WP b4.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 860
  • WP internals b4.jpg
    WP internals b4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well, not too bad. There's scope to trim it back by 1.25" which will be just about right. The bearing can go rearwards in the housing. The seal and impeller can be pressed forwards to maintain their positions relative to the housing and the nose of the housing and the front and rear of the bearing shaft can be shortened up to suit. QED. Finished length 4.890". In actual fact, if I'd needed to, I could have trimmed it back another 1/8''.

Attachments

• WP internals after.jpg
    WP internals after.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
All ready to go together. As a little bit of added security I decided to locate the bearing with a 3mm grub screw engaging the existing groove in the bearing. The screw shows up better in the flash shadow than it does on the actual pump. I also took the opportunity on reassembly to close up the impeller to housing clearance. I have never liked the big gaps found in most factory waterpumps. Final overall length of the pump to the front of the shaft 4.9". This means I won't need to put a power bulge in the firewall to enable clearance for the pump or for belt replacement. Sweet!

Not bad considering the extra length that Porsche have in the 930 from the driveshafts forwards and the extra 10mm that the motor plate spaces the pump forwards.

Attachments

• WP Modified.jpg
    WP Modified.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 882
  • WP assembled.jpg
    WP assembled.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 865
  • Waterpump 4.jpg
    Waterpump 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
G'day Russ,
Thanks for the help in contacting Jonathon - I've now sent eight emails to him, all returned undelivered.
Thanks also for the original attention to Jonathon in the first place.
I've read your build notes above and looked at the photos. Great work. Good luck with the rest, I'll now follow your postings and take delight in your progress.
Richard Martin-Beck

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Not a lot to show the last few weeks, I've been tied up with work a bit more than usual. All the major mechanicals are in bits as I recondition, blueprint, modify, and assemble/reassemble. I have been playing around with the transaxle in recent weeks. Details are on this thread in the transaxle section.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...g-930-lsd-power-overrun-split.html#post223315

Trans is on the way back together shortly, once we've built the setup tools.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This is just a query for fellow Kiwis out there.

Where in Godzone can I get some hardened steel washers that the i/d is a good snug fit on the bolts/studs? All the ones I have been able to find are a shocking loose fit and tend to sit eccentric and look crap when fitted!

On the chassis or in the motor Russ??
Most hardware shop stuff in general is what would I call metri/inch or one size fits all.
The 'Nordlock' stuff is good on chassis/trans etc where torque values are not high.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Maurice, I'm not sure that I'm into cheating, LOL, but that's a good idea I'll keep in mind.

Jac Mac, just closing up the trans now, but there will be other applications too. I hadn't thought of the Nordlocks as I was just thinking plain washers. But I think I'll run with the Nordlocks, they worked well on the TR7's Rover rocker covers, and they're easy to get.

Hi Russ,

MS spec aircraft washers for hard ones or AN series for normal steel and alloy and they come in 0.063, 0.032 and 0.016 thickness. All are closer tolerance than over the counter commercial stuff.

PM me if you need to discuss.:thumbsup:

Jimmy M

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Some time ago I picked up a 6 stage Barnes dry sump pump on Ebay for USD250.

The intention was to use one stage as a trans oil pump. To prevent cross contamination of the engine and trans oils it was necessary to fit seals between the front trans stage and the 2nd sump scavenge stage. This required more room for the seals and was achieved by shortening up the trans pump gears and machining up a new thicker separator plate out of 7075 aluminium tooling plate.

The opportunity was also taken to incorporate the new separator as the pump mount which would be bolted directly up to the front motor plate. Lim as always was responsible for the machine work.

Lim when asked will always say "It can be done". He never mentions how difficult it is! As it turned out, the most difficult and tricky part of all that was machining the seemingly innocuous o-ring groove. This was quite a major undertaking to get right. The shape, width, and depth of the groove is critical.

Attachments

• Dry sump pump0102.JPG
    Dry sump pump0102.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 390
  • Drysumppump0094.JPG
    Drysumppump0094.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So I rebuilt the pump with the new mount/separator plate and hooked it up to an electric motor to check the oil delivery of the new spraybar that I had fabbed up for the trans. It sprays onto the four gears and the pinion. In the next day or two I will take photos of the buttoned up trans showing the oilfeeds and billet sideplate that we have built.

Attachments

• Dry sump pump0105.jpg
    Dry sump pump0105.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 542
  • spraybar110.JPG
    spraybar110.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 629
  • spraybar0109.JPG
    spraybar0109.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,924
  • Dry sump pump0111.JPG
    Dry sump pump0111.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 602

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
David,

I plan to fabricate a water/oil heat exchanger in the bottom hose.

This means when the engine is warmed up prior to racing it will also warm up the trans oil and in the rigours of competition should maintain it at engine temperature.

The engine oil will be cooled by a normal air/oil cooler which will be in the normal location drawing air from the side scoop.

I don't like oil coolers mounted in the extreme rear, flush with the rear panel, as some have done. IMHO they are will be less efficient because they are using the hot air which is coming off the headers etc for cooling. Fine for a road car maybe.

Last edited:
Nice work Russ, top shelf as always!

Will you be mining some boxite and smelting it in the near future?

Really, because your car is so scratch built that would be about the only thing you have not attempted!

;)

Cheers,
Scott

Russ EDL the bolt people and another company called OEM here in Auckland do that sort of thing, send me some dimensions if you get stuck.
Good to hear that progress is happening, thought you had hibernated for the winter.
Cheers

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Russell,

I tried EDL here and no joy. Jimmy M is organising some washers for me from Air New Zealand. So all's good.

Progress has been terrible the last six months, due to having to cope with several non-GT40 issues. That, combined with a crappy winter down here, sapped my enthusiasm a little. It's all go now though!

I've almost finished building the muffler and I'm currently building the fuel tanks and rear uprights. I'm also mocking up the the mounting and layout, on the front engine plate, of the alternator and dry sump pump. And sussing out pulley dimensions that will work with the available HTD belt sizes as there's not a lot of room for adjustment and I don't want the added complication (and weight) of running idler pulleys.

I tend to start one thing, get so far and find I need to think about it, so I move onto something else until inspiration strikes! Hence several things on the go at once....

Back