Kurtiss' GT-R

Neil

Supporter
First Car Show! "Run To The Sun" car show in Lake Havasu City, AZ. The car was a big hit - lots of interest and I won Best of Class - #25 Race or Sports Car. The trophies are beautiful Kachina Dolls. Had a fun time and made lots of new friends.

View attachment 125248View attachment 125249View attachment 125250View attachment 125251View attachment 125252View attachment 125253View attachment 125254View attachment 125255
Really nice! That show looks like it would be worth attending next year. It's not too far from Tucson to Lake Havasu City. California Motor Sports is located there, too.

Thank you for the wonderful comments. I couldn't have built it without the help and support of the amazingly talented members of this forum.

The images above in post #342 were taken on a cloudy day. The sunshine really brings out the depth of the color.

View attachment 125100View attachment 125101View attachment 125102View attachment 125103View attachment 125104View attachment 125105View attachment 125106View attachment 125107View attachment 125108View attachment 125109
Just saw the YT video, which led me to IG, which led me here, which is where I was going to look next anyway because I could see it was an RCR. Paint looks amazing. The car looks absolutely perfect. Well done. When I saw that the paint was done near where I live, I thought there was a chance I might see this car in person soon, but then saw the license plate. Oh well, maybe one of these days.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Just saw the YT video, which led me to IG, which led me here, which is where I was going to look next anyway because I could see it was an RCR. Paint looks amazing. The car looks absolutely perfect. Well done. When I saw that the paint was done near where I live, I thought there was a chance I might see this car in person soon, but then saw the license plate. Oh well, maybe one of these days.
Scott, if your ever in the Palmdale, CA area, please let me know and stop by.
Kurtiss

Scott, if your ever in the Palmdale, CA area, please let me know and stop by.
Kurtiss
Thanks for the invite Kurtiss, I hope I can take you up on it someday. I just finished going through your entire build thread for the first time (won't be the last) and I'm blown away by your level of quality and attention to detail. Your skills and workmanship are outstanding! I'm sure many people will mistake this car for a modified factory Ford GT. If someone had asked me a month ago which kit car I thought had the highest potential , I would have said either the Ultima or SLC, but your car has changed my opinion. With the right person in charge, I think a GT-R can be taken to an even higher level. I wouldn't be surprised if people start asking you to build their cars. Also, the paint reminds me of McLaren Volcano Red, which I love. Any road trips planned?

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
I took the plunge and replaced the FAST ECU's (XIM, XFI and VTC) with the Holley ECU's (HP, Coil Drivers and Ti-VCT). I enlisted David Ehrlich of Autotrend EFI ([email protected], 530-642-0999, www.autotrendefi.com) to tune the engine. After several sessions, Dave has remotely tuned the efi and now it runs better than ever.
Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
My wife and I attended the Friends of Steve McQueen Car and Motorcycle Show at the Boys Republic in Chino Hills, CA. Everyone loved the car and were awarded with the prestigious "King of Cool, Chad McQueen Award" trophy. Had a fantastic time and met lots of wonderful people. We plan to attend again next year.
IMG_5666.jpgIMG_5670.jpgIMG_5671.jpegmcqueen_2023.jpg

Hello Kurtis,
I followed your GTR build and the excellent UTUBE videos.
Congratulations on your beautiful GT.
I do have a question regarding the custom alum spacers you used to eliminate the multiple washers and
the custom 5 inch upper shock mount block.
Did you use 6061 aluminum for both?
If not 6061 which alloy did you use?
Thanks,
TonyS.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
I apologize for not responding sooner. I was at the Chaparral Pit Crew Party in Midland, Texas (see photo). The white GT-R belongs to Ken Tanner and that's the Chaparral 2J vacuum car between us.
Tony, I used 6061 whenever possible or 5052 if 6061 wasn't available.
Johan, The Youtube video's are found by searching for "humphrey's GT-R" or use

A03B3015.jpg

Steven Lobel

Supporter
I apologize for not responding sooner. I was at the Chaparral Pit Crew Party in Midland, Texas (see photo). The white GT-R belongs to Ken Tanner and that's the Chaparral 2J vacuum car between us.

View attachment 130541
THe white GTRs front fenders stick out too far. I see yours have been properly H'd.

View attachment 130541
Thanks Kurtis,
No need to apologize.
TonyS

Neil

Supporter

View attachment 130541
Chaparral 2.jpg

The Petroleum Museum in Midland, TX is worth a trip. All of Jim Hall's Chaparrals are on display there.

Kurtiss hope all is well so my son and I are headed up to Factory Five for a shop visit and I may build a Daytona R for now until the F9 comes out need something to build my hands are shaking from not building. I was at a show on Sat with the 55 Chevy and took Best of Show.
365426185_1397052300855090_2465620279740442983_n (1).jpg

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Congratulations Larry! That's one big trophy - well deserved.
So you're interested in building an FF Type 65 Daytona R. That's funny because I'm thinking of building the same thing except not the R (I want to carry and scare a passenger). I'll be at SEMA in November and plan to ask a ton of questions and checkout the Daytona on display.
Great minds think alike!

Kurtiss I put my order in last Sat for the Coupe not the R but plan on using the R front nose and maybe the wing. They said I should be on track for an early Dec delivery, so put your order in we can do this all over again this time I get to choose the color.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
That's great Larry! A 4 month lead time isn't bad. I don't plan to order mine until after I have a chance to see the car at SEMA and talk to the FF folks at the booth.

What motor/trans are you planning on using? Rear end (3 link, 4 link, IRS)? Wheel size? Seats? etc......

Kurtiss I will be doing the 2018 Coyote motor with the T-56 Super magnum 6 speed IRS REAR with 3.55 gears. I think 18 rear 17 up front. I will get it all sorted out and then maybe stick a whipple charger on her. I have ideas for this car let's hope my vision turns out ok. Now remember Kurtiss I get first crack at the color this time.

Kurtiss H.

Supporter
Thank you Fab.
Good question: Parts were never an issue. I spent 4 years on the basic build and 1 year at the paint shop. I used a lot of time researching to determine the best way to proceed and I was apprehensive learning new fabrications skills. With the help of H and other forum members, I made many modifications from the original design (added fog lights, hinged clamshell, different tail lights, raised the front splitter, cutout the front lid, widened a-piller roll bar, added firewall window, rear bumper, etc., etc.). A few times family life and holidays took me away from the build and a few times I just needed a break. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed building the car and learned a lot.

Back