Lawsuits on www.gt40s.com

Ron Earp

Admin
Lawsuits on www.gt40s.com

I thought it might be entertaining to have a little poll. Who can provide the correct answer to the following question:

Our forum, www.gt40s.com, has had three lawsuits threatened on it the four plus years it has been in operation. The majority of these lawsuits have come from the same country, can you guess which one:

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Lawsuits on www.gt40s.com

No I didn't. I got tired of my workmate, let's call him Jim, from Wales that lives in the UK, going on about Wales all the time.

For example:

Jim: "Ron, did you know that vulcanized rubber was invented in Wales?"

Ron: "Why no, I'm fairly certain that fellow by the name of Goodyear born in New Haven Connecticut invented that in the 1800s."

Jim: "Hmm. Well, no, actually, Mr. Goodyear was of Welsh decent you know."

......and so on, with every topic you could imagine. told me the first six American Presidents were of Welsh decent.

And here I thought Welshmen were simply hired thugs for whatever government was in power at the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Aussies are good fun loving people - never had any trouble with folks from down that way. Must be a good place to live, wouldn't mind giving it a go someday!

Mr Earp. I'll speak to our lawyers if you continue to be derogatory towards the Welsh. And please have the courtesy of spelling our country's name correctly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

Yaki Da...

Mark B, Sheep Botherer of This Parish

[ QUOTE ]
Corrected the spelling for you. But you aren't worried about being hired thugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regretfully, Mr Earp, we're not tall enough (the Welsh being bred for mining and all) but if I WAS a "hired thug" as you so charmingly put it, I'd get a stepladder and come and give you a thick ear!

Ron Earp

Admin

Alright, that is a good number of votes. I wanted to see what the forum consensus was and how they were slanted on "where lawsuits come from". Most of my UK/German friends always think the US is sue happy and cite the "Hot coffee at McDonalds" case.

But, they forget that the US legal system comes from none other than Mother England. And, of the three times www.gt40s.com has had a lawsuit threatened each time it has come from England. That is right, from England! Not the US! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My buddy Jeff, who is a lawyer (solicitor for you blokes), tells be it is because liable law is so much different between the countries. In the UK, I understand, you can't go off slagging someone off lest you'll get in trouble. In the US it doesn't matter, at least as far as how much slagging off is going to happen on a forum like this.

So, each time I've had a threat it has come in the form of "XYZ said something bad about me. It is on your forum. You are liable. I'll sue you!". But, in fact, that won't happen and here's why.

www.gt40s.com belongs to me and I live in the US. It exists on a server in California and because of these reasons, it is governed by US law. Furthermore, and this is the biggest reason, when you join www.gt40s.com you click "I agree" to a list of board rules that I have written. Most are tongue in cheek, but one of them:

• Any posts you make on this forum are your responsibility. The forum nor Ron Earp is liable for ANYTHING you post on this forum and doesn't claim to be! Its all you!

Is serious and has been upheld as binding in numerous court cases involving internet law. So, if you mouth off on the forum, slander people, etc. I'm not responsible. It doesn't mean I'll tolerate it and allow it, but that is a different thread.

Jeff tells me that Sterling Moss tried to sue some people that "slandered" him on the internet a couple years back. Seems he drove some cars at a historic event in the UK and tore, I think, four of them up!!!! Some folks called him some naughty names on the internet and he tried to sue them. Didn't work, apparently he lost the case and a bunch of dough.

So, the moral of the story? Well, there isn't one really. Just play nice, don't speak untruths, and respect your fellow forum member. Lawsuits suck, and if one were successful we'd have no more forum.

Ron

Ronald,

Did you say your server is in “Republic Of Cali”. Seeeeee, that is why you have been getting away with your “slanderous forum”. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Now If it was in Islamic republic of North Carolina (home of Ayatollah Helms), your server would have been chopped off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Very interesting Ron, I would have put my money on the US.I have always been under the impression that the US was the birthplace of this kind of behaviour and Australia pretty much follows on a bit later.Is that correct or do the Poms win there too? This whole business of someone else being to blame doesn't sit well with me.A guy gets killed while driving on the track, ok someone else may be partially to blame but I say he knew the risk was there and chose to do it.Seems money is the root cause.Can you tell I don't have shares in an insurance company or legal practice.They are the winners.

Ross

Ron Earp

Admin

Ross, most people would put money on the US. But, I think a lot of folks fail to realize the US, like Australia, is a really big country. And, as such, there is a huge diversity of "types" of folks. Just because a lawsuit over hot coffee goes through in one area of the country doesn't mean it'll fly somewhere else.

At any rate, I hope the Welshmen on the board realize I'm poking fun based on an experience I had with one of their countrymen - no offence permanently meant!

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, I hope the Welshmen on the board realize I'm poking fun based on an experience I had with one of their countrymen - no offence permanently meant!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron, I don't care, but my wife being a valley girl REALLY wants to meet you now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Brett /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It has always bothered me a little that these laws are primarily drafted by the same legal-eagles who a likely to get the biggest benefits from it. I wonder what other industries would be like if their employees had a free reign in righting up their own rules and terms of employment.

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]

Ron, I don't care, but my wife being a valley girl REALLY wants to meet you now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Brett /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that would not be California valley girl? I got a feeling I'm in for ass whooping! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late for you, Earp. We've hired a small canoe and we're bringing our lawyers over to get you sorted. Better get your Buntline Special out and cleaned up. You're gonna need it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]

Too late for you, Earp. We've hired a small canoe and we're bringing our lawyers over to get you sorted. Better get your Buntline Special out and cleaned up. You're gonna need it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, since we've prevented our government from disarming us (despite numerous attempts), and, I don't live in the People's Republix of California, I have a large number of firearms to choose from at my home. Be careful up around Newfoundland, I hear the waves get pretty high this time of year and it'd be a great tragedy if some laywers were lost at sea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back