License Plate Solutions

P2388 is now in the final stages of install and being the enthusiastic person I am, I got ahead of the DMV and already have title and plates for the car. I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution to attaching the rear plate other than just fixing the frame to rear grill. All pics and input welcome.

Thanks

Cameron

copie forum.jpg

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
When Dennis Olthoff set up my car seven years ago, he used a very simple solution that I really like. He fabricated two 1 inch brackets that are screwed underneath the back frame rail. This centers the plate and also minimizes the visual impact on the back of the car. You can also see in the photo that I've attached a rear-view camera on the plate as well. Perfect position for helping me to back up into parking spaces. The camera is attached to a wi-fi device that syncs to an app on my iPhone which I sit on the dash.

Plate 1.JPG

Bracket.JPG

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Regardless of where you mount the plate, the lighted bolts kill two birds and look better than an additional license lamp. We have done the centered, under exhaust mount for customers. If you move the plate up to be placed under the exhausts it reduces the "hang-on" look to some extent.

Steve

Supporter
Dave, what model of back up camera are you using? I'm also looking for a wireless model to use with my iPhone

J.C.

GT40s Supporter
10 minute solution - I used a piece of aluminum that is mounted on the two longer studs on the bearing retainer you can see in Dave's last picture, no heed to drill any holes in anything. Size of the plate, made bigger on one side to mount required light, but lighted bolts would be better. Aluminum acts like a crushwasher, no gear oil leaks. I would suggest taking more time to make yours so it is not crooked like mine, making it maybe a 13 minute solution.

Attachments

• 100_1686.5.JPG
    100_1686.5.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 565

Bill Kearley

Supporter
What's that on the roof of Paul's car, a rear view cam? I plan on mounting mine on the rear of the spider, it will help with the blind spots. Plate will go just under the pipes.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This was where I was going to put mine. Lights would be in the standard locations at the far ends of the number board recess. Also I have a louvered aluminum plate that will fit in behind the license plate and span the entire recess..
D626DD94-5370-4299-93AD-64501646A781.jpeg

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I plan to drive the car home from the installer ( what could possibly go wrong!), I will go with Ricks solution and then look at it over winter. I need something to do!

Like the idea of a rear view camera, I'm assuming you pull the power from the plate light?

Cameron

Cameron,

You can see what I did on post 90 and 99 of page 5 of my build log "Tornado GT40 in Texas". See link below. This puts the plate about 1/2" up into the body work. The Texas plate must be larger than Randy's since even with my insert into the body, Randy's and mine look about the same, but then everything in Texas is bigger...

Here is the final look.

-Bob Woods

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/tornado-gt40-in-texas.42186/page-5#post-449612
License light 001.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm definitely going to find a way to add a camera, that seems to be a no brainer for these cars. I'm going to go with Ricks suggestion for the ride home and will revisit over the winter.

Regardless of where you mount the plate, the lighted bolts kill two birds and look better than an additional license lamp. We have done the centered, under exhaust mount for customers. If you move the plate up to be placed under the exhausts it reduces the "hang-on" look to some extent.

P2306 with a Camaro bracket, heavily modified, and Rick's Lite n Boltz:

IMG_1285.jpg

Bracket: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sle-59388
I cut about 3" of the mounting flange off, turned it upside down and used it as a clamp. There are no holes in the body. 3M tape underside of the body to stick it, and rubber tape over the paint to protect it. Yes, I know the muffler tubes are crooked, working ... :(

Sam

After the multitude of suggestions. Thank you! I mounted the plate below the center of the exhaust, and just didn't like it. So after consulting a few other GT40 owners, I did this. Required some liberties with the license plate, but I like the solution. For now!

I will bolt up tomorrow and wire in the lights and be done.

Thanks to Rick Muck for the lead on the LED bolts.

plate.jpg

Cameron

Back