Mark Reid RCR-40 Build

I stopped in to see Ron today, drop of the insurance check for the coupe (finally - $15,441 was the total estimate and payment), and picked up the GT40 dash. You may recall that I had him plate the gauge and switch panels with aluminum and paint the rest in a semi-flat black. I think it came out great and Ron did a fantastic job as usual.

Here it is before gauge and switch installation:

GT40002.jpg

GT40003.jpg

Nice job, Ron!

Hi Mark, It didn't take me long to find this site, wow I see you have been very busy!! Like I said on the FFR forum, your dash came out better than expected, I wasnt sure how the chrome would look against the aluminum but you nailed it!! Now you need to get lots of metal polish............Ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Metal-Morphous INC - Home

Last edited:
Hello Mark. I too, jumped ship from the FFR forum for a time to watch your build. It looks great. Now you have me thinking about another project.
-Steve (happybigblock)

I just saw your dash on another thread and I have to tell you Mark that its perfect!! I have noticed on other GTs that because of how deep the gauges sit into the dash, its very dark in the daytime. Yours is the perfect solution, not only does it brighten up the gauge area but its one of the most unique dash finishes I have seen. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

I've been plugging away, but haven't had a lot of time to work. I've changed my mind on the color scheme and had the rollbar coated in one of my new exterior colors:

GT-40033.jpg

GT-40034.jpg

GT-40035.jpg

I also started installing the emergency brake:

GT-40032.jpg

I'm almost finished wiring the dash. I bought bulk wire and marked it with colored sharpies:

GT-40039.jpg

GT-40040.jpg

I still need to trial fit it now that the gauges are installed to see if any trimming is required on the aluminum cowl.

I got a special package today:

GT-40041.jpg

Inside was the last major part I need (still require several minor parts). My transaxle and shifter from Dennis at Pantera Performance:

GT-40042.jpg

We got it out and in positon for mating and then realized the bellhousing needed to be bolted to the transaxle first:

GT-40044.jpg

And then just like that they were one:

GT-40045.jpg

It was a bit tight getting it together, but I got it close enough to start a couple of extra long bolts. They held it in position and then Mike turned the engine slightly while I wiggle the transaxle enough to get it engaged. Then we used the mounting bolts to pull it the rest of the way together.

I am really jazzed! This weekend we will drop the engine, transaxles, and half shafts in. Then it is only a matter of time until first start. The Hell with the crappy weather, I'm having a blast!

Congrats!!!! I installed mine tonight and can share with you how much fun (sic) it is! That damn transaxle weighs a freakin ton!!! And I have the same clutch actuating assembly!

Looking really, really slick!

Cheers
Bill

Bill, I would love to compare notes. I'm going to install the drivetrain this weekend. Here is the data plate from the ZF. Do you know where it mounts originally?

GT-40047.jpg

Wow and I though I was making progress on your coupe Looks real nice Mark, cant wait to here what it sounds like!!!

I sent Fran some samples of our metal product and I'm looking forward to here what he thinks of it in person:D

Ron

Looking good Mark..

as an FYI ..for others reading this ..the shifter is supplied by RCR , I sent it to Dennis during the rebuild,so Mark could have a drop in transaxle (also RCR supplied)

Ron,
I am really looking forward to the samples ...had a very productive meeting with Alcoa this week for some very special parts for the project...

Mark
I can take a picture of a Pantera ZF with the tag and send it to you if you want. I sent you a email the other day and not sure if you got it. The tag mounted to the shifter box just below (on the Pantera) the reverse switch.
Jeff Hamilton

Last edited:
Back