Mechanical Speedo/electronic Transmission

Marcus

Supporter
Hi fellas... Running a new Audi 5 speed box on my 302 and have an issue now with which way to go re Speedo....Would like to keep the Mechanical Smiths unit and see two options so I wonder if others could share experiences to sway me...
Option One
Go with a converter like a Dakota Digital unit that wires up to the tranny requires apparently little set up/calibration and is virtually plug and play with mechanical cable running out the box
Option two
Speedo out and have the insides reworked to accept a GPS signal from a small box that triangulates off three satellites to give readout.....(sounds very hi tech...!!!)
Anyhow am quite sure some of you guys have had the same issue when wanting to keep dials authentic looking....
Hoping that some of you will be kind enough to provide your thoughts .....
Kind regards and thanks in advance

Marcus

Look also a Speedy Cables ( London ) Ltd , actually based in Wales , for many alternatives for the GT40 instruments, all copying the original Smiths look.

When I modified my Getrag transaxle, I wanted to get rid of the analog style speedo sensor. My CAV had a VDO speedo (Smiths replica) that was both analog and GPS capable. Installed a VDO GPS speed sensor. Easily installed and no wires from trans to speedo head. Accuracy is great and no needle wobble.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got the Speedhut gauge. Didn't intent to ever get rid of the mechanical (toothed gear that fits over the 930 CVs), but once I got the GPS speedometer, I've never looked back. Takes about 10 seconds to acquire your reference satellites, and the rest is seamless. Love it.

Marcus

Supporter
Thanks for the input fellas.... I really wanted to keep the look of the dash retro as I have a very race look old skool dash in the cabin....its only a minor detail lI know but after some lengthy research have gone for a Dakota Digital ECD 100 unit. This allows me to keep my original SMITHS mechanical speedo but uses an electronic signal from my Audi transmission.... The reviews of the product in the US have been decent so fingers crossed it arrives safely from US (not available in the UK) and works.... will post further once its up and running if anyone is interested.......:)

Rune

Supporter
Where can I get a speedo cable 4 to 10 inches long. I plan to use a mecanichal Smiths gauge later.

Marcus

Supporter
Frank Catt mentioned Speedy Cables (London) Ltd for speedo assistance.....I called them.....helpful nice people... am sure they could custom something for you....worth a try....:)

Marcus

Supporter
Mark the Dakota Unit works well and is easy to install.... It converts the digital signal through a drive to a simple mechanical output.....you can choose the correct fitting for your relevant Speedo. Quite easy to calibrate so all in all not a bad bid of kit if you want to marry a new gearbox with and old mechanical Speedo
Hope the above helps
Cheers
Marcus

Back