Mike's Build

Progressing slowly and don't have a lot of pictures, but have managed to get the seats mounted, seat belt mounting brackets built and tacked together (will final weld at final assembly) and have started to integrate the new Superlite shifter into the console. I think the skeleton of the shifter is a work of art so want it to be visible in the final interior. Attached is the first cut at how it will fit in. Currently working some closeout panels to allow access to mount cables and to integrate into the gage panel.

Attachments

• console mod 1.jpg
    console mod 1.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 643
Oh, and my luck finally ran out on this aluminum beauty. At least I could be the pieces out!

Attachments

• Broken tap.jpg
    Broken tap.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 568
Mike,
I just ran across your build thread. Welcome to Texas!

Maybe we can get the north Texas guys together again soon and come see your car.

John

Would love to
Headed to Florida this weekend but back next week
Also have plans to go to TMS for the IndyCar race in June and back to Austin for F1 in November. But the SL-C won't be ready for either...

As some of you know, my shop here in Texas was broken into over Easter weekend and the thieves took every tool I had there along with some of the parts for the car (clutch, starter, engine mounts, ...). Thankfully many of my fathers and grandfathers tools that have meaning to me and that I use were still in Florida so what they got was new stuff (hand tools, welder, engine crane, drill press, ......). As a result, another delay to an already delayed project. Over this weekend, I moved my stuff out of the old shop so I could assess what all was missing and will now have to decide what to do next so again there will be a void to this space.

One outcome is that Cam had just sent me the carbon fiber air intake and it was just sitting on my kitchen counter. Staring at it this morning, the artistic nature of Cam's workmanship came through and I now have a new piece of wall art.....

Hopefully it will be on the car in the not to distant future.
Wall art.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So sorry to read this Mike!
If you have a Facebook account, you should post up pictures, descriptions and any Serial numbers etc...

Mike, sorry to hear about the break in; that happened to me in California. Horrible stuff. I'm actually in Fort Worth (well I have a house there), next time i'm home on leave from the OCONUS job i'd LOVE to check out the SLC & see one in the flesh. You going to be around in September?

Once again moving the project, this time to Colorado. We picked up our "retirement" home last spring and will be spending more time there over the next few. The nice thing is acreage and a separate shop building I have set up for the project. Not huge shop, but room to move around and room to keep things organized. Will also be down the road from Cam so perhaps some inspiration and periodic advice (hint). While I tried to get started when I moved the car back to Florida in late 2019, COVID consumed me last year and spend much of the year away from Florida I was not able to get much done.

Over the past month here in Florida have gotten my bearings back on the project and made some project.

- aligned all 4 wheels to chassis, set caster/camber
- aligned body to wheels and bonnet/boot to spider
- finished most of the wiring, about all that is left is a few relays under the dash and the gage/switch hook ups
- AC hose and electric set up and run back to engine bay

Next to do

- Finish out interior
- get engine installed/running
- final align doors
- build hood hinges
- paint

of course, the list has many more things but looking forward to being able to work without sweating through a shirt in an hour (Florida is really too hot to do this kind of stuff) or having to clean up every night to get cars in the garage.

Attachments

• 20210212_101208.jpg
    20210212_101208.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 20210212_101236.jpg
    20210212_101236.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 383
Not sure why but when I uploaded the picture it went upside down and couldn't figure out how to fix it...

If you took the picture on an iPhone it’s very common. Just open the picture in photos to edit, rotate it 90, save, then open again rotate back and save.

If you took the picture on an iPhone it’s very common. Just open the picture in photos to edit, rotate it 90, save, then open again rotate back and save.
Thanks - will give that a try. Interesting that I uploaded the same picture to the Facebook page and it went in right side up

4 years and 2 days ago, I ordered my SL-C and on August 19, 2017 it arrived at my garage in Florida. Since then, have been detoured by work moving me to Texas for a few years, setting up a shop in Texas only to have it broken into and my equipment stolen, moving back to Florida and now to Colorado. What started to be a 2 years project has been turned into a life journey. But we are back up and running in Colorado and I have almost figured out everything I was doing in each of the starts and stops, and found most of the parts. Today was a big day with the motor finally arriving. The amazing thing is after clearing a spot for it in the shop yesterday in a short sleeve shirt, I awoke this morning to 6 inches of snow and more coming down. Undeterred, an amazing UPS Freight driver came up the hill in the snow (I live at 7500 feet and he came up from Denver), backed down my driveway and rolled the crate into the shop. Still much work to be done, but now feels like I am at least getting closer to finishing it now. More pictures to follow....

Attachments

• 20210330_093647.jpg
    20210330_093647.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 296
Trying to catch up on what has gone on over the past 8 months. Been posting on facebook but wanted to get some pics here to continue the build thread. This year has been about fitting the engine and mating it to the Graziano. To do that, needed to build engine mounts, spacers for transaxle mounts, adapter to install a pilot bearing in the Mopar crank that will mate to the Graziano and then trim everything to fit the engine into the back of the car. Lot of measuring and splitting of differences to get the motor to best fit the car. Also needed to build the AC compressor bracket and work all of the wiring for the engine as well as finished the wiring in the interior and got some of the wiring completed. As we stand on Thanksgiving morning, the engine is in, clutch installed and waiting on the orings to install the throw out bearing into the graziano. Once I have those, in goes the transaxle and we can build the exhaust. I have a set of headers cut up to clear the suspension in the back and will be welding those up soon those up soon.
171935822_10218109180111096_8673875787466786914_n.jpg
181314848_10218241116169415_828413537939698159_n.jpg
209385741_10218556094043665_3827132367781853242_n.jpg
244514382_10218990588225748_3717210963675264069_n.jpg
244539892_10218990520024043_191851334860913510_n.jpg
259362267_10219234033951739_692692659171437875_n.jpg
259443854_10219227631871691_5850184723569646636_n.jpg

Trying to catch up on what has gone on over the past 8 months. Been posting on facebook but wanted to get some pics here to continue the build thread. This year has been about fitting the engine and mating it to the Graziano. To do that, needed to build engine mounts, spacers for transaxle mounts, adapter to install a pilot bearing in the Mopar crank that will mate to the Graziano and then trim everything to fit the engine into the back of the car. Lot of measuring and splitting of differences to get the motor to best fit the car. Also needed to build the AC compressor bracket and work all of the wiring for the engine as well as finished the wiring in the interior and got some of the wiring completed. As we stand on Thanksgiving morning, the engine is in, clutch installed and waiting on the orings to install the throw out bearing into the graziano. Once I have those, in goes the transaxle and we can build the exhaust. I have a set of headers cut up to clear the suspension in the back and will be welding those up soon those up soon.View attachment 119124View attachment 119125View attachment 119126View attachment 119127View attachment 119128View attachment 119129View attachment 119130
Mike - Given that you are going to be driving in Florida, what are you doing for Heat control? I might be overly concerned but am having Fran do the Gold foil wrap and I am planning to get the exhaust manifold and 3” pipe ceramic coated and potentially even wrapped. I am also going to talk to Fran about where we need to add Heat shield. I have heard from others in high temp areas that they have had issues with wires melting from the heat / lack of heat shields.

Back