MK1 vs Mk2 body kits

Having looked around this site into the early hours a few times over the past couple of months i notice that Mk1's are predominately the replica of choice.

Is this because of any technical shortfall related to the kits or purely the finished looks? I have also noticed Mk1 fronts paired with Mk2 rears, again is this just builder preference based on looks?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
As far as I know, for a long time MKII bodies were not available from any kit manufacturer other than ERA. Holman and Moody also offered a MKII, but very few (if any) were sold. With Superformance coming on to the scene, and Tornado offering a MKII, MKIIs have become more common. Mine has a MKI front and MKII rear (both from Bill Hough) simply because I like that look. I believe at least one original MKI was produced in that configuration, and some early MKIIs (called MKIIa by some sources) also appeared with the MKI nose, after the failure of the "long nose" variants. Some of these had a triangular cut-out above and behind the front wheels.

Side view.jpg

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I have two Southern GTs, Mk1 and Mk2. SGT offer the rear mk2 clip and snorkels.
I’ve made my own mk2 front arch humps to integrate into my mk1 front moulds.

Morten

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
it’s basically owner preference, the MKI has a pleasing shape with all the right curves. The MKII has much more of a race car look with purposeful lines and more pronounced air scoops.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
If you look at the superformance site you will find quite a difference with the front vs rear clam on a MKII vs MKI

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I like the 4 lights of the Mk3, but the Mk1 rear.
Also like the Mk3 side windows more than the small opening ones.

Ian

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Also like the Mk3 side windows nore than the small opening ones.

Ian

So do I!!! It makes sense, in this day and age, to make things more ergonomic and a little window in that large opening doesn't quite fill the bill. The MKIII had roll-down windows, IIRC..it was meant to be a road car, not a race car.
Cheers!

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Jim - good to see you are still around. Sparro did fit some to a MK3. But was that his creation or an imposter?
Ian

I like the 4 lights of the Mk3, but the Mk1 rear.
Also like the Mk3 side windows more than the small opening ones.

Ian

Been pestering Andy for years to offer a Gulf rear clip with a MK3 front clip. I know the front clip is longer but it could be done. Perhaps just the MK3 headlight “buckets” grafted to a standard MK1 front clip.

Back