Monocoque on ebay

Charlie Farley

Supporter
It is Ray Weber's first chassis. It was sold to the gentleman and he was told the full history and the added caveat, that it is an unknown quantity.
As no suspension components were ever offered up to it. It is a nice piece of work, but as to FIA papers... who knows.

Mike Pass

Supporter
There was a company based in Poole called Mirage who built correct steel mono chassis in a unit opposite where GTDs were built. Ray Weber was the metal man and Steve was the IT/CAD/CNC man. They worked on Ford's own GT40 for a long time and carefully measured all the parts and put the data into CAD and CNC files
From this data they produced press tools for the chassis parts. They also built an extremely accurate sectional chassis jig. Ray assembled the chassis on this jig and placed spot welds and rose welds where the original Ford chassis were welded. They also had a large number of original parts and intended to sell chassis or rolling chassis. Unfortunately Ray became ill and passed away. I do not know what happened after that. I know where some of the chassis are and two of them are in build logs on this forum. I believe that 5 or 6 were made. They are very accurate chassis and the suspension pickups are spot on.
I visited the unit just before Ray became very ill and he showed us round the workshop, the pressed parts and the two chassis that were being built up at that time. They were still working on the tools for the roof panels at that time. I have several pics that I took during the visit. I will look them out if anyone is interested. The chassis are very good indeed - the main issue is the cost of the parts needed to complete it to the correct level which would be to FIA/HTP. The parts can be obtained but they are hard to find and /or expensive.
Cheers
Mike

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Mike is correct although Ray did have a 80% complete chassis which was produced by David Brown of classic car developments in New Zealand, which I believe Ray also used to produce the jig and 5 more chassis from scratch.
I also believe that David Brown produced at least 5 replica chassis hence the build title of my car

The Davis Brown chassis #3 is also well documented here and may I say is looking stunning Brian.

I own the David Brown chassis #5 and visited Ray way back when he was working from his garage and I saw the above chassis. He then moved into the workshop in Poole and created the 5 (i think) chassis from the David Brown and also from some original cars which were in his workshop from time to time. I know he took measurements from original cars as I took a trip up to Poole to see one while it was in the workshop specifically to see if I could fit in the car. After already spending the money for the chassis and being 6'2" it was with a little trepidation that I slid into the original car but I did fit although a crash helmet would probably require a Gurney bubble in the drivers door.

I know where 2 of Rays chassis went and they are well documented here, I did have a list of who got the other 3 but I think its buried on an old hard drive from an old computer. I don't know who got the jig and tooling that Ray and Steve produced but its out there somewhere. I have a picture which is attached of my chassis in Rays workshop and after about 2 years of waiting for it to be completed I was forced to get it after hearing Ray was very ill in April 2011. The chassis was originally sold to me by Chris Melia and included a 330 cu in SBF with webers and a ZF-2, an original rear clip (P1041 racing spare I think) and replica doors and front clip with twin nostril. It also included the inner and out pressed steel roof panels which I believe Chris Melia got via South Africa (Superformace?) although I might be wrong about that bit. I sold the engine to Mike of southern GT who put it into his prototype chassis and the gearbox went to another member of this forum. I have spent the last 12 years saving and buying all the other bits to complete the car and am probably in for at least £50K+ and bought the original chassis/engine /gearbox for £25K which I thought was a good deal at the time.

Attachments

• P1041 rear.JPG
    P1041 rear.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 763
  • docschassis.jpg
    docschassis.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 770
  • docschassis02.jpg
    docschassis02.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 709
  • roof outer 1.jpg
    roof outer 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 623
  • misc 029.jpg
    misc 029.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 729

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Good info Andy. Not sure where Chris sourced his roof panels from, but Roy Snook certainly made some back around that time, a couple of which ended up in Dave's hands.

The floor ribs are interesting. I did wonder if it was a Mirage chassis like the other ones on this site when I first saw it as there is some similarities. would be a great start to a project.

I have attached the photos of the chassis here as they will no doubt disappear from ebay in time.

Ryan

Attachments

• s-l1600 1.jpg
    s-l1600 1.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 652
  • s-l1600 2.jpg
    s-l1600 2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 624
  • s-l1600 3.jpg
    s-l1600 3.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 615
  • s-l1600 4.jpg
    s-l1600 4.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 617
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 642
I had a fairly good look at this chassis a while ago and must say it does look amazing.

The original jigs apparently do still exist.
Had a conversation with a part-time vendor of GT40 components who used to supply GTD and was advised that they are still being stored in Dorset.
I couldn't extract any more detail.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi David,
Here are the Mirage pics
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 660
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 647
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 637
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 632
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 645
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 572

Mike Pass

Supporter
And more....

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 557
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 632
  • build table.jpg
    build table.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 596
  • top view 2.jpg
    top view 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 612
  • TOP VIEW.jpg
    TOP VIEW.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 651

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
How sweet it that! A 917K chassis on the wall. Brilliant!
Do you know more about this 917 chassis?

Morten

Mike Pass

Supporter
Apologies for thread drift.
908 project thread here

Cheers
Mike

Silly question perhaps Why has no one snapped this up ?
Is it overpriced ?
Not good enough quality ?
If I am viewing what should I look out for ?
Many thanks

Mike Pass

Supporter
It is a question of the cost and availability of the parts to complete this chassis. The chassis is fine but would not be really suitable for road use as it is mild steel and fairly expensive compared to space frame replicas. To see the issues with building one of these chassis to original spec and the joys of finding those parts now which Ford just grabbed off the shelf at the time check out Jimmymac's thread on this forum.
Cheers
Mike

Back