Murderers get a new life in Oz...

Keith

:furious: I don't normally get involved with this kind of stuff but I am incensed at the events of this week. It concerns Australians as much as us here in the UK and I am using this medium to inform (and warn) our Australian friends of an event which shows the British Judiciary in a a disgraceful light. Hopefully some of you can raise a stink about it over there 'cos it just ain't right.

Brits will remember little Jamie Bulger who, in 1993 was abducted from his mother during a shopping trip by two 10 year olds Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. I will spare you the details of what they did to this poor lad but in the end, they placed his tortured body across railway tracks so that a train would hit him and thus cover up their crime (so they thought). This proved that they undoubtedly knew exactly what they were doing. Jamie was such a mess that Jamie's mother was forbidden to ID him.

This week Lady Justice Butler-Sloss has awarded the two boys ( now men ), anonymity for the rest of their lives when they leave custody with new identities. They will also leave custody early only serving just over half of their sentence. They are being relocated to Australia to live out the rest of their lives. They disgustingly and violently took Jamie's life away and in return they each get a new life in Oz presumably with a grant from the public purse.

WTF are things coming too? I hope our Australian friends can help put a stop to this. You certainly don't need these people amongst you....but, they may already be there..... :sad:

Sorry for this post but enough is enough...

Keith

By the way, this is Jon Venables and Robert Thompson taken in 2000 so they would be 17 at that time, now aged 25.

I have no idea why they appear as they do, perhaps it was for a joke. This photo was presumably smuggled out of jail.

JV.jpg

Last edited:
Your facts are wrong. They were released and given anonymity way back in 2001. There is no evidence they are in Australia.
Having said that, my opinion is it is not fair to society to have released them.

Keith

Your facts are wrong. They were released and given anonymity way back in 2001. There is no evidence they are in Australia.
Having said that, my opinion is it is not fair to society to have released them.

I bow to your superior knowldege my friend..... :blank:

It is interesting however that the submission is that they had not met since 1993, since my posted photo would contradict that. I am not at all interested in debating this but I will acknowledge that as a mere citizen, I will never be in possession of the truth. I wish to express my concern that there is a likliehood that these people will be admitted to Australia..If I have it wrong, I apologise...but, I don't think I am despite what the press might say...

Keith

Hi Freewheel, thanks for your reply but I'm sorry, it's missed the point. These 2 characters are not being transported as "criminals". Courtesy of the British taxpayer they have been given completely new identities and will (allegedly) arrive in Australia with clean sheets, therefore you will not know that they are amongst you. Hence my post....

If the boot was on the other foot, I'd know how I'd feel about it... but having said that, we are receiving thousands of the detritus of Europe everyday now.

My point was that if this story is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't, Australians will wake up one morning with 2 child killers amongst them without knowing it. By the way, they have never expressed any remorse over their crime.

Hi Freewheel, thanks for your reply but I'm sorry, it's missed the point. These 2 characters are not being transported as "criminals". Courtesy of the British taxpayer they have been given completely new identities and will (allegedly) arrive in Australia with clean sheets, therefore you will not know that they are amongst you. Hence my post....

If the boot was on the other foot, I'd know how I'd feel about it... but having said that, we are receiving thousands of the detritus of Europe everyday now.

My point was that if this story is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't, Australians will wake up one morning with 2 child killers amongst them without knowing it. By the way, they have never expressed any remorse over their crime.

From what I have gathered, they both most likely still reside in the UK due to the
"life license" terms. UK officials are supposed to keep close tabs on them. Also,
according to the "confession" of Jon Venables and at trial, he was extremely remorseful.
And, the Lord Chief Justice Harry Woolf, responsible for lowering their term to 8 years,
cited that both displayed remorse as part of his reasoning to reduce the sentence.
Robert Thompson finally admitted to killing James in 1999, while Venables admitted the
killing to police shortly after they were arrested in 1993.

I definitely do not condone what they did, nor do I believe they should have been freed.
However, given Robert Thompson's abusive and troubled childhood, and Jon Venables most
likely had psychological issues that were not addressed prior to the horrific act according
to reports, treating two troubled 10 year olds as if they adults who were completely aware
of what they were doing doesn't sit too well with me either.

EDIT - Also, I suspect that photo is a fraud, since according to a quote of Lord Chief
Justice Woolf's comments regarding their "parole", they were housed in separate facilities.

Ian

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The arseholes tortured and maimed a little kid and gave him the most horrific death imaginable and you feel sorry for them because they had an abusive and troubled childhood?
Get real. Most sadistic criminals trot out the abused childhood defense. How does that condone or excuse in any way what these two punks did?

The arseholes tortured and maimed a little kid and gave him the most horrific death imaginable and you feel sorry for them because they had an abusive and troubled childhood?
Get real. Most sadistic criminals trot out the abused childhood defense. How does that condone or excuse in any way what these two punks did?

Pete - reread what I wrote closely. I do not condone nor excuse what they did. I do
not believe they should have been let free. However, I do not believe they should have been
treated as sane, mature, clear-thinking adults. Do I feel a little sorry for them? Yes, I
sure do. Do I feel sorry for them enough to allow them to go free? No, I don't.

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete - reread what I wrote closely. I do not condone nor excuse what they did. I do
not believe they should have been let free. However, I do not believe they should have been
treated as sane, mature, clear-thinking adults. Do I feel a little sorry for them? Yes, I
sure do. Do I feel sorry for them enough to allow them to go free? No, I don't.

Ian

Well Ian you are a better person than I. I have no sympathy for them at all.
Giving them a new identity and allowing them back into society is in my opinion, a travesty that is almost as evil as the crime they committed.
Let us agree to dis-agree.

Ron Rowse

No Longer Available
A UK Television program shown on our local Television Station in the Northern Territory
about 6 months ago. Traced both men to their new locations. UK TV found one in the North Island of New Zealand and the other in Western Australia.
Ron.

I bow to your superior knowldege my friend..... :blank:

It is interesting however that the submission is that they had not met since 1993, since my posted photo would contradict that. I am not at all interested in debating this but I will acknowledge that as a mere citizen, I will never be in possession of the truth. I wish to express my concern that there is a likliehood that these people will be admitted to Australia..If I have it wrong, I apologise...but, I don't think I am despite what the press might say...

And everyone seems so adamant they aren't in, or won't go to Australia....it just might be where they are or end up. Troubled childhood or not, they shouldn't be released. Too many violent criminals are released that do further damage.

Last edited:
The other element to this case is what lawyers call "the deterrant value" of punishment - which is, roughly speaking, the ability to discourage others (other than the accused and convicted) from committing a similar crime because of an awareness of the likely harsh penalties if caught. Said another way, regardless of how you might feel about this particular guilty defendant(s), there's value in visible prosecution and punishment of them in order to discourage others from doing similar atrocious things.

Letting these guys go after serving only half their sentence and creating new identies for them seems to not create much of a deterrant effect....

Well Ian you are a better person than I.
A better person than you? Nope, I would never dare claim that distinction Pete.
A different viewpoint? That I can live with.

I have no sympathy for them at all.
Giving them a new identity and allowing them back into society is in my opinion, a travesty that is almost as evil as the crime they committed.
Let us agree to dis-agree.
Having some degree of sympathy towards them does not preclude the desire to see
justice done nor the desire to see them punished for their heinous crime. Allowing them
back into society with new identities, effectively wiping the slate clean, I agree is
a travesty. So, I don't think we disagree as much as you think we do.

Ian

Back