My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

Are you planning on double O-ringing the block/heads.... or do you think that the 6 bolt head pattern will suffice to hold the heads in place at 1500hp?

Who is building the motor?

Should be one bad mofo when it is done. You should also look at the new Holley Dominator EFI system. Has capability to individually track EGT per cylinder and of course make changes to the tune automatically per cylinder.

Comp Turbos have aluminum center sections and in T4 form weigh a tick over 20lbs. I bought a CT80 rated at 1150hp and it was 21lbs. Triple BallBearing. Check them out when you research turbos.

Are you planning on double O-ringing the block/heads.... or do you think that the 6 bolt head pattern will suffice to hold the heads in place at 1500hp?

Who is building the motor?

Should be one bad mofo when it is done. You should also look at the new Holley Dominator EFI system. Has capability to individually track EGT per cylinder and of course make changes to the tune automatically per cylinder.

Comp Turbos have aluminum center sections and in T4 form weigh a tick over 20lbs. I bought a CT80 rated at 1150hp and it was 21lbs. Triple BallBearing. Check them out when you research turbos.

Even though I really don't need to, I will "O" ring the block in case I hit a bump on the road while my hand is on the boost control switch :thumbsup:

I saw that system as well as the Motec. " They are the Cats tail ".
But the car would be registered as a 2011 Model and would have to meet OBD2 requirements for me to get license plates for street use.

Thanks for the heads up on the turbos. I was looking at the new Garret turbos that are out as well. All integrated waste gates and solenoids and redesigned faster spooling impellers. Kind of pricey at $ 2700 a piece though but they are compact and leave more room for inter-coolers.

I have friends that own machine shops and we do all the Block machining there together. Then I take my time and assemble all my own motors in my shop.

Last edited:
Definately looking forward to the progress of this build. Looks like no $$$ spared. Just a thought but while your at it why don't you add a 4 channel ABS system. It'll make the car safer for "street use" and allow you to piggyback the Racelogic onto the wheel speed sensors. If not you'll have to fab some bracketry to get the wheel speed signal.

I'll second the comments that the Racelogic isn't the easiest system to install. A couple years ago a friend and I put one in my LS7 powered RX7. It was a two day process but back then we had to hardwire it into the injector harness and ABS system. Honestly I don't think I could've done it by myself. That pre-made adaptor harness would've made things alot easier. It turned out nice and works well. Honestly, it makes the car faster and takes away the need to "pedal" the car out of the hole. Set it to 10% slip and stand on it. All you need to do is point it straight and shift.

Attachments

• DSCN3610.jpg
    DSCN3610.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 601
  • DSCN3613.jpg
    DSCN3613.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCN3612.jpg
    DSCN3612.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 524
Definately looking forward to the progress of this build. Looks like no $$$ spared. Just a thought but while your at it why don't you add a 4 channel ABS system. It'll make the car safer for "street use" and allow you to piggyback the Racelogic onto the wheel speed sensors. If not you'll have to fab some bracketry to get the wheel speed signal.

I'll second the comments that the Racelogic isn't the easiest system to install. A couple years ago a friend and I put one in my LS7 powered RX7. It was a two day process but back then we had to hardwire it into the injector harness and ABS system. Honestly I don't think I could've done it by myself. That pre-made adaptor harness would've made things alot easier. It turned out nice and works well. Honestly, it makes the car faster and takes away the need to "pedal" the car out of the hole. Set it to 10% slip and stand on it. All you need to do is point it straight and shift.

Hey Rich,

I've been looking for the right Non Integral ABS system. Do you know of any systems that are worth looking into? I want to wait and see what kind of room I have for a brake booster as well.
Thanks for the feedback on the Race Logic.

Hint:
Replace the Racelogoc and OBD2 junk with cats and cutout for a Motech. No two ways around it, Race Logic TC is a piggyback system. Does not make sense to me for someone with your apparent budget to skimp on something as important as an ECU.

The best ABS system is free. Learn how to modulate the brake pedal. Buy a 125 or 250 shifter kart to get the balls.

Hint:
Replace the Racelogoc and OBD2 junk with cats and cutout for a Motech. No two ways around it, Race Logic TC is a piggyback system. Does not make sense to me for someone with your apparent budget to skimp on something as important as an ECU.

The best ABS system is free. Learn how to modulate the brake pedal. Buy a 125 or 250 shifter kart to get the balls.

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not skimping,
My biggest concern is when I go for emissions here in Illinois. They hook up to my OBD2 and say " good bye son, come back another day ".

I know there are better ECU's out there. That's for damn sure.
I have plenty of time to think about an engine management system.
Heck. by the time I'm done with this project, there may me a better system out there.

Also, I know I can tune my OBD2 system to keep the engine happy. I have some other piggyback computers to take care of some other functions as well.

I have driven Carts and it's hard to compare it to an actual car that weighs a lot more. Also the carts are driven in a consistent track environment.

I plan on building more than one 962 tailored for the driver. If he wants a track only car,they got it.

If they want the amenities like their Toyota for the street, I will make it happen.

Perry

Hey Perry, congrats on aiming to create one of the baddest vehicles on the street. It's between an SL-C or RCR 962 for me. Maybe I can get away with people believing I spent 1 million on a Dauer with Fran's 962, haha.

I'd probably go blown LSx pushing 600whp and call it a day, but, I understand some people need more horsepower than the population of a small town : )

Hey Neighbor. I'm good with a broom.

You are killing me LOL

Hey, I'll come on by when I'm done with this thing, take you for a spin down Michigan ave and say hello to the lovely Chicago ladies. If they know what's good for them they better have panties under their mini skirts with this car driving by. :lipsrsealed:

Damn, I love being single .:laugh:

Hey Perry, congrats on aiming to create one of the baddest vehicles on the street. It's between an SL-C or RCR 962 for me. Maybe I can get away with people believing I spent 1 million on a Dauer with Fran's 962, haha.

I'd probably go blown LSx pushing 600whp and call it a day, but, I understand some people need more horsepower than the population of a small town : )

Ryeno,

I think Fran did an excellent job designing these chassis and which ever model you choose you will be happy.

At first, I was going to build a real Dauer Porsche 962 replica and did a lot of research.
The cars chassis were never designed for street use and don't take bumps very well. The Engine and transaxles were part of the structure of the rear chassis as well and the rear body and suspension was bolted to it.
Dauer modified it extensively for public streets but it still had it's limits and weaknesses for street use as it was purposely built race car.

That's why I opted for Fran's Chassis at RCR. It's light enough to be competitive at the track a still strong enough for a harsher street environment.

Here's my personal goal for this "DPE-962X" project:

When I finish building it with 1500rwhp at the turn of a dial, A/C and 21st century electronics and I if had a Real Dauer Porsche 962 sitting next to it in my garage, I would sell the Dauer 962 Porsche, pocket the cash and not have any regrets whatsoever knowing I just sold a slower car that was worth a lot more money.

I'm not skimping,
My biggest concern is when I go for emissions here in Illinois. They hook up to my OBD2 and say " good bye son, come back another day ".

I know there are better ECU's out there. That's for damn sure.
I have plenty of time to think about an engine management system.
Heck. by the time I'm done with this project, there may me a better system out there.

Also, I know I can tune my OBD2 system to keep the engine happy. I have some other piggyback computers to take care of some other functions as well.

DPE, I'll have to do some digging through my favorites list, but I distinctly remember a product that came out out recently that allows for an OBD-II diagnostics port to be hooked up to an aftermarket controller.

As long as you spend some time tuning it properly, you can have the best of both worlds. Of course if you wanna do it properly, you're still gonna need cats...

DPE, I'll have to do some digging through my favorites list, but I distinctly remember a product that came out out recently that allows for an OBD-II diagnostics port to be hooked up to an aftermarket controller.

As long as you spend some time tuning it properly, you can have the best of both worlds. Of course if you wanna do it properly, you're still gonna need cats...

Hey John,

I will be using Cats. I will have cut outs for bypassing them for off road use.
If you can find any info in your favorites, that would be cool.

There are enough hurdles to make them street legal as is and the last thing I need is an issue with OBD2 compliance when going for emissions.

Thanks

Perry

That sucks they make home-built cars pass emissions where you live. Not even California rules makes us do that and I assumed we had the strictest (worst) in the country.

Yes, I'm curious about this as well. I figured on a new car needing to pass emissions, but to have OBD II as well seems onerous.

My home built car needed only to pass a safety inspection. That was May of last year. Has that changed?

Fran might have to chime in on this one as he's sold cars to people in Illinois.
Last week he said an Il. state trooper comes out with a clip board and goes through a checklist and it was not difficult. He did mention him checking for converters as well.

Back