Attachments

• good luck.jpg
    good luck.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,
yes - 210sqn then 204 sqn in Ballykelly Northern Ireland. 62 this week. Don't worry about a card though.....

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Scott,
Lovely office - huge screens and looks well laid out. I will refrain as I know what it is from when you wrote about the possible UK trip.
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Freewheel,
I will probably go somewhere tropical this winter - possibly even cross the equator with or without the mem sahib.
James,
May well be though column yoke is dissimilar. It may have been a beta cockpit or a test mule though I don't think they could make that many 225s. There ain't enough scrap metal in the world to do that ......................

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Southendave, I think James is just about on the money but there are a few
dissimilarities that I cannot explain such as the strange yoke setup which is quite
un-AN. The columns are almost identical and the cockpit layout is just about identical as well so maybe it was a prototype? Nice one.

Southendave, I think James is just about on the money but there are a few
dissimilarities that I cannot explain such as the strange yoke setup which is quite
un-AN. The columns are almost identical and the cockpit layout is just about identical as well so maybe it was a prototype? Nice one.

Spot on with the AN225. Good work! I believe that is how the cockpit started and was then updated with different avonics and a new yoke. Seen below, is a picture of it with one old yoke and one new taken in 2001.

0189660.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,
As James said this one is the Avro Shackleton Mk2 Phase 3 and you are looking at the twin Hispano 20mm cannon. The same installation was also fitted to the Mk3 Shack along with a pair of Viper jet engines and tricycle undercarriage instead of being a tail dragger. The cannons were visually aimed via the electric Boulton Paul Turret Gunsight.

So were these cannon to be use on aerial targets or ground targets? In the picture the aircraft looks to be armored and the cannon installation "crude", so I would suspect ground targets. But then when looking at pictures of the airplane I wouldn't think something like that would be used in a close ground support role.

That is a plane only a mother could love!

Is the aircraft name from the legendary Shackleton and a projection of its abilities to fly to frozen lands and freeze pilots? I just finished reading "South" not long ago, very informative.

Dave, ever fly a Shackleton into Bermuda? I was stationed there in 1967-'68 while in the USAF. The Shackletons were fun to watch land .....blowing tires, parts flying off and go-arounds! The BOAC VC-10's were beautiful!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
1970 on SAR cover for the Prince of Wales on his visit to the West Indies or was it Trinidad - or both. Bloody expensive but I would have loved to settle there permanently.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The 20mm Hispano cannons were to frighten 'things' including other crew members.
The technique was to watch the splash and lead your aim into the target - usually a towed skid target.
The smoke and fumes were just bloody awful and the noise was horrendous especially if it worked for more than four or five rounds in each barrel - which was very rare thankfully. A stoppage with a live round in the breach was a bit of a palava.
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
42mk2.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Mk II of 42 Squadron.​

This was the tailwheel version and the MK3 had a tricycle undercarriage and two RR Viper jets in addition to the four RR Griffons with loads of extra soundproofing for the Vipers. The trouble was the extra weight of it all doomed the aeroplane as the vipers were running on Avgas and had about a 30 minute limit and the extra weight had to hauled around for the next 14 hours or so.
The Mk2 remained in service on AEW duties with the ANAPS20 radar until the Boeing AWACS Sentry arrived in Squadron service - circa 1990?
Me - I was long gone by then and on the 747.400 in BA,

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

The contol locks are almost DHC Twin Otter style.
Don't you just love the cluttered look.
Clues : It has Leading edge devices, manufacturer says you cannot stall it (wanna bet!!) and can easily fly backwards. The engine was developed from the Wright R-1820. AND they are all over Africa.

Last edited:
Back