Necessary items for upgraded UN1

I just received an upgraded UN1 with all usual mods. I still have to order the optional bellhousing from GTO or Tornado, so I can use the standard Ford Flywheel on my 347.

In older threads I read that it is recommended to use a 1/4" line for the clutch and and a 1" Master cilinder. It also stated this would create a very havy clutch feel. Is this true, but still the way to go.

Furthermore, what type of clutch and clutchparts are recommended.

If anyone can set me in the right direction, I would be pleased.

Best regards,

Gerard van der Helm

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I have a Tilton Pedal box at 5.5 ratio

A 0.75 Master Cylinder and the standard Renault Slave (over an inch diameter)

Pedal is as light as my daily driver.
BUT I run a Rover3.9 v8 and so possibly a lighter pressure spring on the clutch plate (can still spin the tyres in 1st 2nd and 3rd)

Reason why the 1/4 inch bore is that with the Renault Slave being so big it needs a lot of fluid moved to get the required 3/4 inch movement on the forks and some say if you dump the clutch the fluid takes too long to return to the master cylinder. (I have not found this but do not race mine)

Tornado is still going but GTD folded a number of years ago - you could also try Chris Cole at Mach1 to get a bell housing

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
1/4 inch clutch line is a definite in my view. 1 inch master cylinder is more specific to what you have inside your box and also what pedal box you are running.

Tell us what you have done in the box and what pedal box then you will hopefully get a more useful reply. It would also help if we know what flywheel you have re bell housing size etc.

The box is fitted with the stronger Input shaft with Ford 23T spline. It has the Quaife ATB. I also have a wilwood pedalbox with a 7:1 ratio, which is now equipped with a 3/4 Mastercilinder. The slave cilinder is the standard Renault item, which I believe is slightly larger than 1".

Sorry, forgot to state the info regarding the flywheel. The engine is ordered in the US and should be on the way here. It has a standard V8 flywheel and not the Essex V6 flywheel.

Bellhousing has to be ordered through either GTO or Tornado.

Regards,

Gerard

Back