need dashboard layout photos, also vents?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I spent some time today with my photographs of 1072, which is the only original car that I have (occasional) access to, figuring out how the dashboard controls and gauges are supposed to look. However, all these cars were to some extent individuals, and things got changed as they went along. So.......this is a call for photos of original dashboards which show the following:
-switch layout and appearance, preferably with labels
-gauge layout and appearance (I have found that my modern Smiths gauges don't look like the originals, but it's way too late to change them out)
-warning light layout and appearance

Also, does anyone know of a source for reproductions of the eyeball vents? I'll need a set of those as well, if anyone can point me in the right direction. (If you have photos you think might be helpful, post them in this thread, if you would, so that everyone can enjoy them- I can copy them as needed)

I suspect that making the Smiths electronic tach work with an MSD 6AL may be interesting. Then again, it's sometimes not the battle you dread that does you in; it's the battle you weren't expecting. (see post shortly on "how do you get a Smiths mechanical speedo to work with a ZF 5DS25-2 transaxle?")

Thanks, in advance to all and sundry for your help.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here's the best pic I can find in my collection. Good luck.

Attachments

• GT40P1049interior.jpg
    GT40P1049interior.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,518

Chuck

Supporter
Jimbo:

Do you have a copy of The Ford That Beat Ferrari by John Allen? If not, it is an excellent source with several dash pics. Indeed, a cursory review of that reference confirms that every dash is different.

Attached are some pics pulled off my 'puter. Obviously updated interiors of original GTs.

Note the variation in the switches, but Lucas seems most prevelant in the originals.

Can't help with the vents. Originals pop up occasionally on E bay - very pricey. One can get alloy replacements for the plastic ones provided with the RCR from the after market AC suppliers, like Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air, which look more original, but are still not the same as the original (but for a fraction the price). That would be a possible compromise. (pics on my build blog)

Attachments

• 1033Dash.jpg
    1033Dash.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 1061 Dash.jpg
    1061 Dash.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 1966_ford_gt40_16_m.jpg
    1966_ford_gt40_16_m.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 1966_ford_gt40_21_m.jpg
    1966_ford_gt40_21_m.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,301
  • 1036-010.jpg
    1036-010.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,494

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I
Also, does anyone know of a source for reproductions of the eyeball vents? I'll need a set of those as well, if anyone can point me in the right direction. (If you have photos you think might be helpful, post them in this thread, if you would, so that everyone can enjoy them- I can copy them as needed)

I got a set or excellent reproductions of the vents from Andy, one of the members. He has had one more set up on ebay a while ago and I was going to get a spare set but decided to spend it on a mirror.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/19421-sandys-rcr40-gulf-chassis-11-a-4.html

I think you will find a picture on the above link

Sandy

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Jimbo,

The 'Andy' to which Sandy referred to in his note can be reached by sending a PM to 'Charlie Farley'

I have a set of vents from Andy, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality (see photo).

As an alternative, I seem to recall Lynn Miner mentioning something about similar vents being available through Aircraft Spruce. Take the forum search tool out for a spin and see what comes up using 'eyeball' as the topic.

Good luck!

T.

Attachments

• eyeball vents.jpg
    eyeball vents.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,309

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jimbo, is your car an SPF? It should have the correct speedo cable already attached to the Smiths head unit. The MSD unit will work with the Smiths Tach easily.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We've worked out the dash layout; as soon as it is in primer and painted, I'll put a photo up. I got switches from K-Four in California, which look a lot like the older Lucas "batwing" handle ones but are USA made and rated for 50 amps- far more than they will have to carry. K-Four have a lot of nice bits and pieces including a series of lit warning lamps that are lettered. Some of them are a bit odd; you'll have to read the list yourselves to see what I mean.

We've also worked out what we're going to do with the wiper system, I think. Still stuck on how to mount the Cibie headlamps. There is such a thing as a Cibie mounting bracket for these lamps, but no one seems to have it.

Hi Jimbo, back when we used to fit 6AL's and the earlier unit the 6A at GTD, we sometimes were lucky with the tach output on the side of the MSD that it worked straight out of the box. There are two varients that I am aware of with tacho's that is current sensitive and voltage sensitive depending what your gauge is (memory is saying current sensitive but don't hold me) it may be as simple as to plug straight in or to add on one of the two avaiable tacho adapters hopfully this helps a little I do have more info- in my old files if your need any connection help drop a 'pm'

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thanks; I will keep it in mind if we can't get it to work. MSD have some tach adapters, I know; we may need one of those. This is not the first car to use an MSD box with a Smiths' tacho, so someone has had to figure this out before me. Fortunately.

Back