Need some starter info

Just got the car back from the body shop after fixing the hood
First spin around the block and negative battery cable comes loose - shorts out and melts the wiring
Fixed that - only to find the starter is now toast.

When I turn the key - starter engages at half speed and won't turn off
Ricardo Transaxle - I'm told it needs a special starter.

Does anyone have a part number and/or source?

Thanks
-kernie

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As Ken said, that is correct. And as Ken did, I bought two of them for nearly $500.00 each. Back when I purchased, you had to have a GT vin #, just to be able to buy one.

I wonder if they have any in stock. Years ago they were $500-$700 .... wouldn't think they'd get cheaper.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
You most likely will need a 05/06 Ford GT vin number now to buy it as Brian mentioned. At least from a Ford dealer. Please update us on what you find out. I bought two just to be on the safe side years ago.

You most likely will need a 05/06 Ford GT vin number now to buy it as Brian mentioned. At least from a Ford dealer. Please update us on what you find out. I bought two just to be on the safe side years ago.

Since the transaxles (at least those from an existing car, which is where most of us got them, directly or indirectly) all have VINs engraved on them, it seems likely we could just use that VIN. Has anyone tried that, or been required to submit a VIN to buy a starter?

ORDER #1672 - Placed 09/10/2018

Hello Kernie Brashier,
Thank you for your purchase! We will start processing your order shortly and will notify you with any updates. You can monitor the status of your order here.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total 4G7Z-11002-AAStarter Motor Assembly$286.651$286.65

Subtotal: $286.65Estimated Shipping: $8.59Total: $312.86

Just making sure this is the right number.

41wpIRHMdiL.jpg

I've found it all over ford websites for 240-289$. Plus a 35 core charge
They did not ask me for a VIN number

I cannot explain the lower price - seems $500 is closer to the actual cost - but I have not seen them for that much

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The VIN number is stamped on the top of the Ricardo. It was assigned to the car it was originally installed in. If your Ricardo was bought new then it won't have it. I can give you mine.

They may want a picture of the registration though.

The VIN number is stamped on the top of the Ricardo. It was assigned to the car it was originally installed in. If your Ricardo was bought new then it won't have it. I can give you mine.

They may want a picture of the registration though.

Are there actually any new Ricardos? I know a lot are selling them as brand new, but I think most/all are/were DAB-rebuilds.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I purchased a new Ricardo from a forum member. He had 2 GT's and bought a spare just in case of a failure. I then had RPM transmissions tear it down to verify the synro's were properly welded, as that was some of the failure issues early on. There are still a few new ones around.

Hi - So it turns out getting a new starter is much harder than I thought.
Since the transmission is directly from Ricardo I don't have the proper VIN.
Ford will not ship without a VIN.
I have been offered a VIN number by kind members.

I have removed the starter.
Best plan I think is to send it out to be rebuilt.

Anybody have a shop they recommend for this rebuild?

Thank You

Small problem with top bolt. No convention ratchet or socket will fit. Can anyone confirm it’s 8mm? Also and ideas about removing welcome please.

Attachments

• F5FF56BD-E3B8-4E2A-9107-7F6F1CFF9C79.jpeg
    F5FF56BD-E3B8-4E2A-9107-7F6F1CFF9C79.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 351
  • A4AE6009-4433-41D9-8774-91E16568B30E.jpeg
    A4AE6009-4433-41D9-8774-91E16568B30E.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 352

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Kernie, I won't be home until Monday, or Tuesday, but could check for you then. My advice is to buy some of these Metric Bondhus allen wrenches.
http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_products/tool_categories/l-wrenches/briteguard_stubby_double.html

DO NOT BUY cheap import versions for this job. These allen wrenches have a 100 degree angle and are ball ended on the short end also. Cheap versions often break the ball off in the bolt, and then it is near impossible to remove the bolt.

Exclusive MaxTorque™ ball end:
• on short arm allows access to screw heads located in tight spaces straight-in or at an angle
• delivers 50% more torque than conventional ball ends
• inserts into screw and works at a 125 degree angle

Standard Bondhus ball end on long arm inserts into screw and works at a 15 degree angle.

Extra long length provides for greater torque

If no one else gets you the info by Tuesday, I'll get it for you.

Regards Brian

Back