New and won-over

Hello all. First and foremost, let me tell you up-front, it was an accident that I ever got to see these pages and thanks to Allan's "A fall drive in my RCR Super Lite Coupe" YouTube video, that was linked to one of my friends recent views, I made it. Over the last months time, I have delved ever deeper into the wonderful world of Fran Hall, all the SL-C's and have become eternally hooked, if not counting my initial "yea!" impression. I can not express to all of you my thanks concerning the depth and what is an almost exasperating amount, in its entire content, of information about every little detail, that is packed onto this forum. I could go on for hours about every sale point, my diverse background and who knows what else I could stuff in here, but I will take the short rout out (the chicken version) and leave things as they are.
I do look forward to my future with RCR/SL-C/Fran Hall and I do truly hope, all of you as well.

Welcome Robert. I think you'll find this place to be a very educational and entertaining spot on the web, with a lot of smart gear heads doing all kinds of innovative and interesting things. Congratulations on settling upon the SL-C from RCR/Fran, no doubt you'll find it to be a rewarding experience, and a great (automotive) adventure. You can't go wrong with RCR/Fran, their reputation is the highest in the industry and their products are fantastic. Equally important, they're here to stay, unlike some other competing vendors.

What I find really interesting about your post is your route taken to get here, and to get interested in the SL-C. That's a twisty-turny path for sure, but it all makes sense, and seems to be a more and more common means by which people from around the world with common interests find each other. And once they've found each other then the door is wide open to share the vast wealth of knowledge that's often parked in people's heads, but not written down or otherwise findable/searchable. Really fantastic.

Welcome!

Thank you for the wonderful welcome, Cliff and all I can say is that it all has something to do with that silly internet thing-a-ma-bobber. As the months roll on and my wife gives me another bundle of joy to take up whats left of my already non-existant "free time", I can take every oppertunity to create a few mountains of paperwork and idea notes for my ideal build. I can already see that there will have to be more than one in the mix. For now, it will have to be a ton of printouts and to-do lists, until sometime next year. Research is awesome when you have the time to do it and since that is where I am now, it is a very good thing. Plus, I can figure out where to put stuff in my shop or what to get rid of in the meantime. Thank you again for the welcome.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com...

I'm please to see that yet another has been infected and is joining our collective of SuperCar Junkies!

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Welcome Robert,

I am sure that you will find that Fran is a great guy to work with and the quality of the SLC is fantastic.

I look forward to hearing more about your build.

Erik Johnson

Thank you all again. Glad to be here. With the giant amount of primary notes I have made, I don't know whether to hate you all, or love you for your insights. Allan, your Vid. is the one that hooked me into this madness and among others, I read through your build thread and was even more impressed. I'm in New Fairfield at present, about 30 min. away, but do get out that way, aka. New London, Uncasville and Mystic for the family thing and will make it a point to give you a heads up, in hopes of picking your brain a little, when time permits.

With a new-born on its way and a toddler at home, all I have now is time to do research for the next several months. I am not new to this sort of thing. I ran an r/c plane company until last year that was 80% research and 10% design/development, with the remaining time split between sales and marketing and up until three years ago, I had an eight year run working with Richard Childress (the other RCR), as one of only a handful of Consulting Engineers accepted for the Welcome/Winston-Salem Wind Tunnel and Mooresvile Development Offices projects. Family obligations forced the closing of the former and the economy killed the latter, but those insights into the depth of research and the processes it took to make something come to fruition out of proverbial mayhem were invaluable.

I'm writing a longer post to follow this, but it is filled with some background stuff and way off topic, so I will end this one here. Again with my sincere thanks.

This is just a little more background to my story...so far.

I was raised a Yankee and as such, on American muscle and was turning a wrench with my dads direction as early as age five. I can't remember a time that there was not a project in my dad's shop, for tuning, re-building or the coup-de-gras, a full restoration. When my friends and their families were going out to the cape, the mountains or the Jersey shore, we were going to Danbury, Lime Rock, Riverside or any number of tracks that have now fallen into disuse or been developed into something else, or we were going all over the place for some type of car shows. You see, my father built and raced cars before Vietnam. When he came back he married my mom and had me. His friends, the ones who had come home with him and that were once his closest buddies, all went their separate ways and he never raced again, but he never stopped working on cars. I appreciate that all the more now and am so sorry I did not understand it then.

I actually remember being quite the jerk (PG13 version) when the 1969 Pontiac we had been working on, more him than me (I had my thoughts on foreign exotics like the Lamborghini already) was given to me on my 16th birthday in 1985. I was into scale trains, R/C airplanes, playing guitar, fast bikes and girls, so cars were just a second thought. I'm still kicking myself for this, but I sold that car a month later for $11,462-one penny and a quarter (all the money “that guy” (still the PG13 version) had in his pocket at the time). I went to the local car dealer, cash in hand and bought the showroom car I had been drooling over forever(that's three weeks to a month in 16yo terms). It was a 1985 Turbo Z. That's a Dodge Daytona, the 80's version of a muscle car, ho-hum.

That was not my first faux-pas, nor by any means, would that be my last. But that was the moment that my dad and I had the first major divergence in our relationship. Oh, That 1969 Pontiac, the Gran Turismo Omologato (GTO), with that ugly Judge sticker on the side and a ton of options, well...it is still running, still winning car shows, sold for over $80,000 as of the last time I checked and it is still making me cry every time I think on it. Anyway, I left home for a perpetual student career and fell even deeper out of favor with my dad. It seemed at the time that this would be the story of my life, even from the second I was born. If I only knew then, what I know now.

In the 90's I was finishing up my first stint of degrees and playing with imports for a short time, until I entered the wonderful world of off-road and 4x4'ing. I transplanted myself to the bay area in California to pursue still another avenue and even more school. I now owned a 1993 Toyota Celica GT (3S-GTE), was re-building an off-road Nissan AWD pick-up truck (stump jumper) I got for free with a disintegrated timing chain and going to school full-time, all the while finishing my internship. It was a busy, but wild time and any problems I had, I had to research and find solutions for myself. My father had already Ostracized me, and even if he had not, he would never stoop to working on, never mind near an import, so I was on my own here. There was no internet as there is today. Much of the research was via phone, Chiltons, auto shops and the occasional guy I met out and about. I think around the third Nissan truck, I got the hang of it, but after finishing my degree, I departed the West Coast, the off-road faze, gave up a partnership with this guy I knew designing some wind turbine things and settled in North Carolina for a short while.

From the last part of the 90's to around 2003, I must have moved Twelve times back and forth between CT, MA, NY and NC. Besides having a paint and bodywork shop in Connecticut, a car club based in the Hudson Valley of NY, including partnership in its performance parts center, to show with on a regular basis and the weekly cycle get together, I spent a lot of time on the road. In 2000 I was 31 years old and a lot older than the kids putting fart-pipes and oversized wings on their cars and calling them custom, so I got a ton of business from the more serious adventurers. I quickly grew to hate Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi and even some of the more modern domestics. I began spending more and more of my time working with ¼ scale replicas of historic R/C planes and playing a long time with epoxy-glass.

The last move in the winter of 2003 was just after a buddy and I created our own firm in Kingston, NY and chose to relocate to Raleigh, NC., as construction was booming in that area at that time and a lot of our friends and colleagues were still there. We had just passed on a partnership with a modulated cellular site design team, as it was way to new and did not look promising. Anyway, I already owned a house in Chapel Hill, so the move was not a big deal. I just drove my newly acquired black 3.4L V6 automatic 2004 Pontiac Grand-Am GT with ram-air, supercharger (Ecotec/Vortec RSM version that looked and acted like a small 55hp turbo) and my own modified hood (no...not a real muscle car. ie. P.O.S.) down, picked up a U-Haul to take back up, loaded it with my few things, including a TJ Jeep I had just received as payment for a side job now attached to the back of the truck and headed back down again. I can't even begin to inventory everything that I either sold off or gave away at that time, but I know I wish I had most of it back or realized that being in my 30's did not mean that life was almost over.

For a long time, I just gave up working on cars. I even went so far as to gave up riding bikes, I sold the GT, garaged the Jeep and settled on a more respectable mode of transportation. In the summer of 2006, I broke down and bought a new Pontiac GTO. Disappointed, I traded it in for an M3 with a nice sport package that same winter. Work took over my life at this point. My family had move to NC sometime, while I wasn't paying any attention and now took every opportunity they could to share their newly achieved retirement time with me. My mom insists that they moved down there in early '99, but I have no recollection of that time. There were too many micro-brews and so little time, not to mention the hectic pace I ran. I kept that pace until the bottom fell out in the autumn of 2009 and the building market collapsed. I was still playing music then, but NC is a country or disco state, so my group fell apart and we all moved on.

As things would have it, I was contacted by my high-school sweetheart just about that time. I sold the house, my part of the partnership, my BMW, everything that was not tied down, packed up the Jeep and was swooshed back off to Connecticut. I can tell you that I had high expectations for my return, but the only thing high, besides the left-over hippies, were the gas prices. Building and development were almost dead. Places that used to be here are long gone. I guess that it just took me that long to noticed how much has changed here and in me. My dad passed away shortly after I left and I never got the chance to thank him for all he taught me early on. My mom says that he always knew. In my thoughts still, I had the presence of mind to start up a model design/fabrication company for some of the local model R/C guys. How did it go from slide-rule and pencil to AutoCAD and plotters so fast? I bought a nice 3D printer to help out in fab. and once again I was playing with epoxy-glass and balsa. It took off at first, but became more of an airplane hospital and detail center, rather quickly.

All of a sudden I had a baby on the way and my plans changed from running the shop, to taking care of the baby. Yes, I got nominated to be the “stay at home dad” (“the mom” in my day). My son was born in July of 2011, I got rid of the Jeep (after engine, interior, bars, lift, tow, dress up, thousands in wheel/tires and a lot of begging) in August. I bought a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan that, except for the addition of roof-racks and my driving time, I am not allowed to touch. In a few weeks, I will have another baby at home to keep me company and have been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity, that I will not pass up. My wife told me, “when the children are a little more manageable, next year, you need to find something to do with your spare time.” That's my favorite part, Spare time. Like I ever really have any.

After a way too short talk and a little reading behind my back, she is the one who mentioned building the car.

The preceding has been the “nuts and bolts version”, you understand, but it shows just what kind of strange trip it actually took to get to this point. For anyone who took the time to read it all, I am so sorry to have taken up your time.

I think this is the perfect example of the need for as much media as possible being posted on Youtube and other internet sites. Show em' off guys!

7:45pm Meat-lovers Pizza $18.25
8:10pm Contractions 10 min apart $0.00
8:11pm Call Doctors office, unlimited minutes $0.00
8:15pm Call Grandmas to take the kids, unlimited minutes $0.00
8:30pm Take shower before trip to hospital $0.00
9:00pm Pack bags in van, Put kids in van, Walk wife to van $0.00
9:20pm Pull out of driveway towards grandmas house $0.00
9:30pm Scratch the grandma trip...re-rout to hospital $0.00
9:55pm Call for assistance in hospital parking garage $0.00
10:05pm Wife in bed, kids in next room crying $0.00

Catherine.jpg

10:20pm Daddies little girl...Priceless...

Congrats Robert.......priceless indeed....kinda puts everything in perspective doesn't it. Happy and healthy and Mum's ok I assume. Enjoy.

Ok, 9:55 pm you're in the parking garage, 10:20 pm you have a new little girl!!

You like living on the edge, don't you?

Congrats.

Thank you all...and yes, everyone is home and doing very well now. My "Better-Half" was going off our last trip to the hospitals time-line of ten hours. She believed we had a lot more time and was taking it all rather matter-of-factly. I, on the other hand, had been on top of it from the moment I saw her looking at her watch. (The trip to her mothers, would have been a 30 min round trip detour...) We just got realy lucky.

Congratulations all around....

It took a few near death experiences getting shot at to make me appreciate what you have and who is important in your life with each sunrise or sunset. I can relate to what you said about your dad. I was lucky and told my father I still had much to learn from him just before he died.

Congrats on the new arrival. My Father developed early onset alzheimers and before I was able to thank him for everything, it was too late, even though he is still with us. That sucks. I just have to hope that he knew anyway. He probably didn't though, as we grew apart over the preceeding years.

To all, get on and open up to your folks whilst you still have the chance!

Back