New Valkyrie owner in Eastern Panhandle WV

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I just acquired a 1970 Fiber Fab Valkyrie (GT-40 clone) and I also have a 1973 914 widebody sbc track car.
Being a Valkyrie owner, is that a no no here or are we good?

Attachments

• P1010510.JPG
    P1010510.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 568
  • s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 632

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
David
Welcome to the mad house.
I for one welcome pictures and stories of all cars.

Careful though how you build costs go with the Valkyrie, you may find with all the work and effort that you put in they the original body chassis cost is a part but there are others that will give you a much closer replica for not a huge amount more cash.

If you keep it with a VW mill you will have a fun car.

Ian

David
Welcome to the mad house.
I for one welcome pictures and stories of all cars.

Careful though how you build costs go with the Valkyrie, you may find with all the work and effort that you put in they the original body chassis cost is a part but there are others that will give you a much closer replica for not a huge amount more cash.

If you keep it with a VW mill you will have a fun car.

Ian
Your thinking of the Fiber Fab "Avenger" which is VW. The Valkyrie (mine) was box framed and made for a mid engine v-8 :)
I got it with an LT1 engine already in it (no trans axle) for $2700 US.
I'm in very right :)

Neil

Supporter
I remember the Valkyrie. At one time I had an Avenger with a VW engine with so low compression that I could turn it over by hand. Fun, though.

Where in WV are you located? I was originally from Buckhannon.

I'm over in the Eastern Panhandle very close to Summit Point Motor Park (where my lil sbc 914 regularly pisses off the PCCA members ;-) )

I hope you have all the parts to complete your project - finding parts that fit can be a nightmare - I once considered this car!

John

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Welcome to the site. We enjoy builds of many types here, with emphasis on passion and the sharing of ideas/techniques that benefit the membership.

Neil

Supporter
David;

I'm very familiar with Summit Point. I helped a friend, John Sabel, with his Sabel Mk III there in 1968.

Attachments

• Sabel 18.jpg
    Sabel 18.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 589
Wow Neil! That's a blast from the past :)
I do track days and FATS there all the time. Also tech inspector for SCCA :)
It's 20 min from me!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
David, the Valkyrie was the very first mid-engined car I saw...and I was instantly hooked! I saw one on a car lot in Denver, CO and couldn't help myself...and I dared anyone to try to pry me away from it. If truth be told, I was a bit timid about looking too long because it was on a used car lot and it was night, so I was a bit paranoid that the law might think I was trying to steal it. At that time there was no RCR or Superformance, but IIRC there might have been the ERA, although I never saw one. The closest competitor was Kelmark with it's Dino 246 replica (who also marketed their Dino kit to be used with the engine and FWD automatic out of an Olds Toronado), followed by the other two companies who took over the Dino platform when Kelmark folded...Manta (?) and Magnum. Crown also sold a kit that allowed a SBC to be mounted mid-engined in a Corvair, IIRC...bet those didn't last long (would have loved to hear what Ralph Nader had to say about THAT combo)!!!!!
I'll be following your build...love the early replicas, even though they aren't "State of the Art" like we have now. I remember when the only readily available Cobra replica had a VW engine in it...yes, I'm THAT OLD!!!!!!
Cheers from Doug!!!

Neil

Supporter
Doug;

Manta Cars in Santa Ana, CA produced their Mirage in 1973, a copy of a McLaren M8 Can-Am car but as a closed-cockpit coupe, and later their Montage, a copy of a McLaren M6B. It used a VW platform or a tube chassis for a mid-engine V6. It was called the "T Car".

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Right you are, Neil...it was not Manta, it was the Karma and the Magnum 500 that were Dino replicas. Guess the old memory takes a while to get it right!.
Cheers!
Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com David!
Feel free to start a build log in our Wings, Wheels and Keels forum!

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I just acquired a 1970 Fiber Fab Valkyrie (GT-40 clone) and I also have a 1973 914 widebody sbc track car.
Being a Valkyrie owner, is that a no no here or are we good?

Hi David,
Not exactly unfamiliar with those, and they can be finshed out into a nice car. I would hesitate to call it a clone or a replica however, since anyone with GT40 familiarity will note a lot of differences, perhaps even a block away. Still, they are a nice looking car, why wouldn't they be, the car is clearly styled similarly, "inspired", and i think it's homage is showing respect to the 40. They are an alternative, for those who like to tinker, fabricate, and have more time than money.

Doug:

Well, here you go. I built this Crown conversion in the early '70s, using a 1969 Z-28 302 crate motor. It surprised a lot of people in Ann Arbor, Michigan, including Porsches, GTOs, and Mustangs. Unfortunately, the local police knew me, too.

I was also involved with the University of Michigan "Earth Day". The keynote speaker one year was none other than Ralph Nader. I really wanted to pick him up at the airport with my Corv-8, but the organizers wouldn't let me. They were afraid he would see the car, turn around and leave. Too bad, that would have been really fun ;). -Steve

Corv-8.jpg

Last edited:
Hi my name is Keith, and I’m a high schooler working on a life long race car project. I’m actually looking for some help if there is any Superlite SLC owners in the Maryland area?

Neil

Supporter
A Manta Mirage is something I can help you with, David.

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_102331270.jpg
    IMG_20180910_102331270.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_20180910_102316391.jpg
    IMG_20180910_102316391.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 431
Back