Norfolk Tornado

A little more progress; the Steering column and the pedals have now been installed. To improve access to the steering rack etc, I decided to make the front bulkhead removable, so it’s now held in with rivnuts & 5mm screws. The seal around the intermediate shaft has been cut from some 12mm close foam sheet I had kicking around.

Regards
Andy

Attachments

• P1161556.jpg
    P1161556.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 720
  • P1161557.jpg
    P1161557.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 691
  • P1161558.jpg
    P1161558.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 665
  • P1161559.jpg
    P1161559.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,005
Hi Andy,

Could you tell me what the steering column is from. I assume its electrical assited. I have been trying to find an assited steering system in Brisbane for my RF for some time and yours looks like it would be ideal. Fantastic build by the way.

Mick

Last edited:
Hi Mick,
The unit I’m using is off a 2001-06 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa (Corsa C) and an interface unit is readily available (from Ebay) to vary the amount of assistance the motor gives. Hope this helps
Regards
Andy

Ahhh! the equivalent to a Vaxhaull Corsa in Oz is a Holden Barina. Andy are you able to provide any inforon the interface unit, I am having trouble searching ebay based on your description.

Hi Guys,
4 pages full on ebay.de ..... :)
Mick what parts are you using exactly ...all of the steering components ..

If you can provide me the part number I can send you guys a short list on current ebay auctions containing them.
Cheers
skeleton

Hi Andy / Skeleton I found the source for the add on modules www.rallywiz.com
Skelton, the original steering column I used was a Ford Telstar unit these are common in
here in Oz. I am looking to install an electrically assitted steering unit and would appreciate any info on what might work without having to changing the rack. My GT is 5 years old and I would like to make a few improvements for daily use and for track work once a month.

Mick

Last edited:
Hi Mick, I am using currently the original Tornado Rack without modifications ( it sucks btw...to much play ) I will change this next winter....not yet ...So my idea was to look for you on ebay.de for any parts you might want ....I guess Andy can give us a part number or so and I can start look around
makes sense ?
cheers
Skeleton

Thanks for the offer Skeleton, I have already ordered the additional ecu controller. I have a large number of auto wreckers i can source the components from. If i am unable to find what I need I will take you up your offer. If have access to a ZF gearbox I am looking.

Mick

Hi Skeleton,
Firstly please use your real name, as it’s much nicer to know who you are talking to
I used a 2001-06 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa (Corsa C) column and modified the intermediate shaft to fit onto the Ford steering rack. You will also need to purchase the ECU & connectors, but most sellers on ebay include these
The interface unit for the motor controller from rallywiz.com looks like the same unit I have used.
Regards
Andy

Time for a few more updates. The front & rear suspension has now been built up, which was a very satisfying process. It still needs the alignment setting, however it’s good enough to enable the handbrake cables to be mocked up so they can be designed & ordered. Also wheel offsets have also been established and wheels finally ordered.

Now that the suspension is on, it actually feels like I’m making some progress. Might even have a rolling chassis by the Summer :thumbsup:
Regards
Andy

Attachments

• PC251557.jpg
    PC251557.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 581
  • PC251559.jpg
    PC251559.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 574
  • PC251561.jpg
    PC251561.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 593
  • PC251562.jpg
    PC251562.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 534
  • PC261553.jpg
    PC261553.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 554
  • PC261554.jpg
    PC261554.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 527
The engine has also now been finally assembled. Steam vents into the cylinder head coolant jacket have been added to the inlet manifold using some old aeroquip brake pipe bits I had lying around. The AC compressor installation has also now been finished. Mounted off the cylinder head, it is then braced back to the fuel pump, with the final belt tension set with a couple of M8 rose-joints and a link rod between the pump & front cover. The reason for the remote oil filter is to clear the fittings on the back of the compressor.

Regards
Andy

Attachments

• P2231579.jpg
    P2231579.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 541
  • P2261581.jpg
    P2261581.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 534
  • P2271588.jpg
    P2271588.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 498
  • P2271590.jpg
    P2271590.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 513
That looks great Andy, very nice work.
Whereabouts in Norfolk are you?
(I'm originally from Old Costessey)
Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it always a great moral booster that my efforts are appreciated by others.

Jason,
I live live close to Attleborough, about 15 mins from the Snetterton Race Circuit

Regards
Andy

Andy,
From those of us that are a little further forward. We know how tough it can be to keep going. These builds are difficult. (Maybe an MDA more so than a Tornado).
There are certain builds that stand out though, and yours is one of them.
I, for one, am keeping a keen interest in what your doing. Not because I'm behind you, but because I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in and admire the quality you are building in. It will be worth it and you will have a great car. I want to see it when it's finished for sure.:thumbsup:

Martin

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it always a great moral booster that my efforts are appreciated by others.

Jason,
I live live close to Attleborough, about 15 mins from the Snetterton Race Circuit

Regards
Andy

Small world Andy, I used to live in Wymondham!

Back