On the Serpentine. Well , on the bridge.

Keith

Your avatar looks a lot like a certain retired pilot of my acquaintance.

Spotted! As you know full well Pete, this may not be the very first example of ID theft on this board :laugh:

As for him being retired, I'm quite sure it is he performs Immelman turns in a 747 right above my house every time I drink rum.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jim I think by and large we cope quite well. I think the only problem that exist`s here is with the media sensationalizing every small blip that will inevitably occur. I think compared to other countries the social integration of the migrant population here has gone well. I dont see any problems.

Bob

I thought you guys did as well, until I started reading some of the "Black Sack" posts in this forum.

Keith

Some of you people seem so out of touch...

Quote:
Paris, France (CNN) -- The French Senate approved Tuesday a law banning any veils that cover the face -- including the burqa (sic), the full-body covering worn by some Muslim women -- making France the first European country to plan such a measure.

The law passed by a vote of 246 to 1, with about 100 abstentions coming essentially from left-leaning politicians.

The legislation was overwhelmingly approved by the lower house of parliament in July and will go into effect next spring.

French people back the ban by a margin of more than four to one, the Pew Global Attitudes Project found in a survey earlier this year.
Some 82 percent of people polled approved of a ban, while 17 percent disapproved. That was the widest support the Washington-based think tank found in any of the five countries it surveyed.

Clear majorities also backed Burqa bans in Germany, Britain and Spain, while two out of three Americans opposed it, the survey found.

(That either makes 2 out of 3 people in the USA progressive or ignorant. You can decide.)

A panel of French lawmakers recommended a ban last year, and lawmakers unanimously passed a non-binding resolution in May calling the full-face veil contrary to the laws of the nation.

"Given the damage it produces on those rules which allow the life in community, ensure the dignity of the person and equality between sexes, this practice, even if it is voluntary, cannot be tolerated in any public place," the French government said when it sent the measure to parliament in May. (my emphasis)

The law imposes a fine of 150 euros ($190) and/or a citizenship course as punishment for wearing a face-covering veil. Forcing a woman to wear a niqab or a burqa will be punishable by a year in prison or a 15,000-euro ($19,000) fine, the government said, calling it "a new form of enslavement that the republic cannot accept on its soil." (My emphasis)

The French Council of State has warned that the ban could be incompatible with international human rights laws and the country's own constitution. The council advises on laws, but the government is not required to follow its recommendations.

The ban pertains to the burqa, a full-body covering that includes a mesh over the face, and the niqab, a full-face veil that leaves an opening only for the eyes. The hijab, which covers the hair and neck but not the face, and the chador, which covers the body but not the face, apparently are not banned by the law.

However, a 2004 law in France bans the wearing or displaying of overt religious symbols in schools -- including the wearing of headscarves by schoolgirls.

The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life estimates that France has about 3.5 million Muslims, or about 6 percent of the population.
France does not keep its own statistics on religious affiliation of the population, in keeping with its laws requiring the state to be strictly secular."

From the Grand Mufti of Paris:

Quote:

Dalil Boubakeur, the grand mufti of the Paris Mosque, the largest and most influential in France, testified to parliament during the bill's preparation. He commented that the niqāb was not prescribed in Islam, that in the French and contemporary context its spread was associated with radicalisation and criminal behavior, and that its wearing was inconsistent with France's concept of the secular state; but that due to expected difficulties in applying a legal ban, he would prefer to see the issue handled "case by case". Mohammed Moussaoui, the president of the French Council of the Muslim Faith, opposed using a law but favored discouraging Muslim women from wearing the full veil.

(My Italics and ulines)

The French being about Libertie, Egalitie and Fraternitie, are pretty much ahead of the game when it comes to secularism. Would that we, in the UK be as forthright.

On the other hand, we in the United Kingdom have not banned the Burka (yet) (see last para).

We just think it is funny...

And this thread does not mean what you wanted it to mean, because 'normal' Muslims don't want the stupid thing either.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
David

Wasn't she/ he just running down to the burger van to get a "Bacon Buttie" and just wanted to go incognito?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IAn

I thought you guys did as well, until I started reading some of the "Black Sack" posts in this forum.

Its all in cheek Jeff. No one here has a problem with it.

Bob

Edit. Its the pc brigade that cause most of the problems, banter in the workplace is 50/50. They all give as good as they get.:laugh:

Last edited:
All of a sudden, quite out of nowhere and totally unexpectedly, I find myself head over heels in love with the French. Vive La France!

And BTW. its Keith not David ;)

Keith ROCKS!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Its all in cheek Jeff. No one here has a problem with it.

Bob

Edit. Its the pc brigade that cause most of the problems, banter in the workplace is 50/50. They all give as good as they get.:laugh:

No, Morton's obsessed with Muslims and pretty offensive in how he talks about them. But so it goes.

"Black Sacks".......maybe we should start calling old white guys "Khaki Stuffers?"

Woot!

No, Morton's obsessed with Muslims and pretty offensive in how he talks about them. But so it goes.

"Black Sacks".......maybe we should start calling old white guys "Khaki Stuffers?"

Woot!

Jeff he may be obsessed but that does not represent the views of the rest of the population.

Bob

Hi,

I reckon Davids views do represent the majority of the population.

I like the aussie atitude of if you dont like our way of life then bugger off. Shame this messege isnt part of the imigration process here...

Jerry

Wish we could do that as well!

I like the aussie atitude of if you dont like our way of life then bugger off. Shame this messege isnt part of the imigration process here...

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Back