One and done, I don't fit!

I have been researching purchasing a Superformance GT40. Started a year ago then I got more serious by joining this forum and talking to a few owners. Last week I flew to the Phoenix area to look at one for sale by a private owner and go to Barrett Jackson. I was very excited and thought there was a 75% chance I would be coming home with my GT40. Well I didn't fit! I was worried about this but although there were a few threads here on the subject most said they worked through it. I don't know how, I am 6-5 but fairly thin 215 and limber. I could get in and out OK, even with the steering wheel in place. But, only with the seat totally out did I feel that the driving position was OK. I thought about cutting and lowering the pan and seat back plate so I could install a seat with minimal padding but I gave up on that too. I just thought I would post on this disappointment so some other 6-4 plus guy doesn't waste time like I did!
Ken

Dude Bruce M and Chris Amon were midgets compared to you.......
Im 6 foot 200 lbs now a days, I had a 1939 indy race car and one of Jack Brahbams bt18's
You have a short wish list my friend.....have you considered a Mercedes Maybach?

if you open up the list of possibilities, there are some cool cars without a roof - problem solved? Example Lola T70 Spyder etc.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Take a look at Fran's GTR? There are just a few out there right now, but they are becoming more popular so soon there should be some on the used-car market.

Fran's GTR seems to be larger than a standard GT40 replica...kind of like the Ford GT is "larger" than the original GT40s.

Cheers!!

Doug

Why did you give up on installing a lowered pan and thinner seat? That may be your answer for a GT40.

Alternatively, you may find more room in some of the other makes. I'm 6'3" and quite a lot of room above my head with the seat in the rear most position in a cav. I don't think that car had a lowered floor pan (looked flat) but a lowered pan would improve that clearance even further. Just a thought.

I'm tracking a RCR GT40 and had problems to fit with my 6'3" 200lb but after some mods to the seats, gurney bubble and pedal assy i fit very comfy even with a Helmet and HANS device.

Maui

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Did the SPF have a Gurney bubble fitted?

A CAV has significantly greater headroom than other GT40's in my experience.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I am 6'3" and 280 ish
I fit comfortably in my DAX even wearing a crash hat, although on track I would be more comfortable if I had a Gurney Bubble, but as my car is mainly road I am more then happy with how it fits!

Ian

As mentioned above, take a look at RCR's GTR. They are very close to the 2005 Ford GT....
GT-R

17n09z87rqf25jpg.jpg

3.jpg

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I have been researching purchasing a Superformance GT40. Started a year ago then I got more serious by joining this forum and talking to a few owners. Last week I flew to the Phoenix area to look at one for sale by a private owner and go to Barrett Jackson. I was very excited and thought there was a 75% chance I would be coming home with my GT40. Well I didn't fit! I was worried about this but although there were a few threads here on the subject most said they worked through it. I don't know how, I am 6-5 but fairly thin 215 and limber. I could get in and out OK, even with the steering wheel in place. But, only with the seat totally out did I feel that the driving position was OK. I thought about cutting and lowering the pan and seat back plate so I could install a seat with minimal padding but I gave up on that too. I just thought I would post on this disappointment so some other 6-4 plus guy doesn't waste time like I did!
Ken

From the FWIW department, I am 6' 2" and around 215. Long legs.
I did not fit either. I drove Dennis Olthoff's MkII and thought it was just OK, but he had taken out some foam.

I ended up taking out the foam 'seats' altogether and built my own.
I'm almost sitting on the floor and am back all the way. There is a 1/4" of foam and less than 1/8" of aluminum between me and the floor and the firewall.

I'm good with a helmet now, but I do have to duck when I close the door.

From my perspective, a Gurney bubble doesn't do anything for long legged people. It is too far forward. My head is now back at the rear where a Gurney bubble is further forward. If I did have a Gurney bubble, it wouldn't do anything to help.

Again, FWIW,
Kirby

Like I said, with the seat out I thought the driving position was just OK. The Gurney bubble doesn't appear to be in the right spot to help me and there wasn't any room to move it back, although it might help slightly to turn it around. Didn't think about looking at some of the other manufacturers. I don't have a solid plan "B" yet.

Ken

Let it be....The car was never designed for luxury or 6.4 feet tall humans, its a race car. Get a Mercedes and everything will be alright.

I'm 6'3" 250 and NFW could I get in and out easily. now, at 220, it was actually easier :)

Agree Fran GTR is where I would go today.

Back