Original 40's steering wheel emblem

Dave I agree with you . But for a side not yours is blue from the sounds of it. I just get upset if some ones thoughts are crushed and attacked if they are not the same as someone else's. I love my car I enjoy it when ever I can( note much now since I broke my ankle dirt bike riding last week) I will always come to this forum for assistance ,I feel it has all the knowledge needed to do anything to keep our cars on the road . Mine was red and blue but it is no Longer there I put a small steering wheel on to fit in and I have not attempted to put it back yet.

Mine is blue........but that wouldnt stop me talking to someone with a black one.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 495

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Paul...
For you, i will break my word, never to post again on this thread.
Where did you get the remote idea, that my comments were addressed to you PERSONALLY ?
My suggestion is you re read your and mine and other intervening posts....
it might help .
Your considered assumption ...
Quote "I think the point now is that it is blue but someone one is selling them with black as original and they have to much invested to admit they are wrong. "
It would be really stupid to change a colour from an original emblem, in your hand. Would you do that and deceive reliant customers ? Tell me.. ?
Interesting, but a poor stab in the Dark.
Why must you continue to be personal ?
As i previously stated " My suggestion is you re read your and mine and other intervening posts....
it might help ."
It might interest you to know, i have nothing invested in the badges/emblems,
all were sold at Le Mans.
Furthermore, a certain gentleman contacted me there, he was the " Parts Guy " for Gulf, back in the day. He found no problem with the items in question, but my guess is that will be an awkward fact for you.
While we are at it... what about the all black metal emblem, also as mine, on the prototype cars?
i await your considered and not emotional reply.
There are more than post on this thread, egging me on, but i'm doing my best to resist it.
Consider, all i tried from the start, was help explain something, i thought would be of interest.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Bill,
Nice try, but we both know that is not an original boss in your photo.
My guess, as we both know every original car has been mucked about with over the years...
Original wheel removed by an owner, swapped for a smaller wheel, for numerous reasons, ...comfort, just what they were used to with previous cars..
or just plain fat..:idea:
Boss and emblem misplaced, so replacement boss and emblem re fitted many years later.
Saw all this again at Le Mans this year.
Half the cars even didn't have the correct body latches or rear clam shell electrical connectors. However, there seems to be a mood swing to return many cars to original specification now.

Walter...put the stick down....the bees were just getting settled. Perhaps a PM would not raffle feathers.... ok talk among your selves. (Blue)

Richard

I can't claim i'm an Originals guy, 18" wheels just about says it all....but....I think the blue looks sharp and for those looking in the window the badge will be easy to see. That being said I am going to try and hide the radio and Air Con controls somewhere discreet. I am trying to buy as much period correct stuff as I can but not let the lack of such parts get in the way of working on the car. I'm really looking forward to putting it on the road....big smile...big smile...big smile.

Walter, perhaps you can share a beer over face time or skype. I can understand Bill's rabid quest for Originality but unless you are starting with an original chassis it's all want a bezz. Even if we all had deep pockets there are only so many to go around however most that own an original are getting up in age and will soon start falling over thus giving others a shot at ownership.

Regards
Richard

I have a red, white and blue emblem that I purchased from Fran Kress. The emblem is a reproduction, well done and looks marvelous in my car. Regardless, the colors are rather U.S.A in nature and representative of a car originally built in Great Britain, reproduced in South Africa, and raced by an American based auto manufacturer. You figure it out!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Recognizing the lack of consensus regarding this topic, I took it upon myself to seek out the one true source of truth. My findings suggest the correct answer is red, white, and blue. If we're to be completely reasonable, it also appears many of you have the steering wheel on the wrong side as well...

2013090200.jpg

Recognizing the lack of consensus regarding this topic, I took it upon myself to seek out the one true source of truth. My findings suggest the correct answer is red, white, and blue. If we're to be completely reasonable, it also appears many of you have the steering wheel on the wrong side as well...

Apart from the fact that there isn't any white on the original emblem ;)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have seen quite a number of original cars, and most of them seemed to be red, white and blue. One was all black without inscription. I didn't get photos of all of them, but here are a few. Graham, I'm not sure what you mean about there not being white on the original emblem? Because it's off-white? Or am I so thick I missed something "inside"?

Attachments

• GT40 Steering Wheels.jpg
    GT40 Steering Wheels.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 435
Hi Mark,

The background of the original is a dull silver/aluminium colour which you can just about see in your middle photo above.

My attached photo hopefully shows the colour slightly better.

Regards,

Attachments

• DSC_2073r.jpg
    DSC_2073r.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 419

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Graham. I would have bet money it was white, but I can see it is probably an optical illusion caused by the raised chrome outline. It seems no matter how many photos I take of these cars, I am always looking back and asking myself how I could have missed taking shots of this or that detail. Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC_7925R.jpg
    DSC_7925R.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 434
Back