owning an SL-C

I wanted to post my experience owning my SL-C for all you guys building and wondering just how is it really. I have probably owned my SL-C as long or longer than most owners, I bought it in July 2009 assembled already. I was very disappointed in the assembly by another guy and once I realized it I completely rebuilt the car. Enough on that. I want you guys to know that if you want to know how it is to be a celebrity then this is the car. Every where I go it is constant pictures, videos and a crowd of people around the car when I stop say for gas or something. My wife says I am showing off but she does not understand, I am not showing off I am showing the car, I fell in love with the car the first time I saw it and I want people to see this machine. I am just a bystander compared to it. The first question is always man what is this the second is how fast will it go. When I tell people I don't know how fast but over 200 mph. I get a lot of the crotch rocket guys wanting to race and I always tell them when your bike will do over 220 mph then call me and we will go for it. I haven't had one yet. I know a lot of people say why didn't you buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, I always tell them I love the prototype look. I have been out with a bunch of Ferrari's and Lambo's and everybody who came up to see the cars always looked at mine first and asked the most questions about mine. Now you want to talk about fast, when I take it out on the street because mine is street legal, i put it through some turns at say 125 to 135 in some turns on a back road this car is everything you could ever dream of, the quick acceleration the cornering the sound of the exhaust is all so exhillirating you get out of the car shaking from adrenalin. So for all you guys still trying to put it together this is what you have to look forward to. I would love to hear from all the other SL-C owners about their experience

Awesome to hear! This is similar to what a lot of other SLC owners are saying. I hope to one day own an SLC of my own and I love hearing stuff like this. Which engine/what hp are you running to be able to go 200+ mph?

I wanted to post my experience owning my SL-C for all you guys building and wondering just how is it really. I have probably owned my SL-C as long or longer than most owners, I bought it in July 2009 assembled already. I was very disappointed in the assembly by another guy and once I realized it I completely rebuilt the car. Enough on that. I want you guys to know that if you want to know how it is to be a celebrity then this is the car. Every where I go it is constant pictures, videos and a crowd of people around the car when I stop say for gas or something. My wife says I am showing off but she does not understand, I am not showing off I am showing the car, I fell in love with the car the first time I saw it and I want people to see this machine. I am just a bystander compared to it. The first question is always man what is this the second is how fast will it go. When I tell people I don't know how fast but over 200 mph. I get a lot of the crotch rocket guys wanting to race and I always tell them when your bike will do over 220 mph then call me and we will go for it. I haven't had one yet. I know a lot of people say why didn't you buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, I always tell them I love the prototype look. I have been out with a bunch of Ferrari's and Lambo's and everybody who came up to see the cars always looked at mine first and asked the most questions about mine. Now you want to talk about fast, when I take it out on the street because mine is street legal, i put it through some turns at say 125 to 135 in some turns on a back road this car is everything you could ever dream of, the quick acceleration the cornering the sound of the exhaust is all so exhillirating you get out of the car shaking from adrenalin. So for all you guys still trying to put it together this is what you have to look forward to. I would love to hear from all the other SL-C owners about their experience

Great input and thanks. I get the same "crowd effect" with my F5 cobra but not near the performance : ) would you mind listing your build specs... and posting some pics? Thanks again, Jim

can someone tell me how to put pictures on the post here when I email I just go to my pictures on my desktop and add by clicking on attach files. My car has 625Hp and is chassis number 2 with the VIN number ending in 01. I bought it from a guy already built but rebuilt the car again, he did not do a very good job. I have a LS-7 engine engine specs as follows
bored 27 over, diamond pistons CNC head work, special valves, special valve springs, titanium rods Aviad dry sump stage 1, large cam, after market fuel rails,, Hustler custom headers and exhaust with cats and mufflers, remapped computer
Ricardo gearbox 6 speed manual with dual disc clutch, I have the rear wing, vents in the front fenders, new splitter with the tunnels. I have been working on my car for 3 years and am finally getting it sorted out and dependable. I also have the 6 piston Brembo brakes all the way around, brake bias valve to tune in the brake bias as I am going, CCW wheels 335 tires on the rear and 315 tires on the front

I can tell you what I have hit so far through the gears
1st gear 47 mph
2nd gear 90 mph
3rd gear 125 mph
4th gear 160 mph
I just have not hit a straight long enough to run it out yet. I have also timed a run by video recording and I hit from 20 to 150 plus in 18 seconds That video is for private viewing I don't want to get a ticket

Bob,

Go Advanced Reply then Manage Photos. Browse your desktop and select. Make sure your photos are sized correctly: 640 x 480 works well.

Thanks Doc for the info I will try it. Is that your car in your photo it really looks good? Also is it street legal?

Bob,

That was the photo as delivered. I am working on it currently. Had a few setbacks with a major move and hiatus for almost a year, and I'm a pit crew of one out in West Texas! It will be a track car primarily, first gen tail, CF wing, LS7/Ricardo, etc. I am currently (pun intended) muddling through the wiring.....

Doc, the wiring is one of the real trouble spots down the road if you short cut anything, we soldered every connection wrapped in the best electrical tape then placed it in sheathing. We have had several wiring problems and all I can say is attach it to the frame or somewhere where it will never move no matter what it is exposed to. We did take the wiring system that was on my car completely tore it down and shortened all the wiring as needed to make it a drop in wiring harness so when it was placed in position it was right there to plug in. This took some time we started at the motor in then pulled the engine so we could access everything, then put the motor back in and finished it up. It was a couple of weeks to get this done with me and another mechanic that worked for me,, we also had other items to do while the motor was out, but it is much better now. Good luck I know it is a labor of love. People look at my car and cannot appreciate what effort I have put in to get it where it is but my fellow SL-C owners know and what a feeling when it all comes together and you are driving down the road

oh now im getting right excited about placing an order an building one of these cars. I enjoyed reading your experiences with the car. Sounds like a blast. Glad everything worked out for you. Good luck.

Hi Bob,

Hopefully, you were cranking up these speeds at Road Atlanta...

Otherwise, it sounds like you have some very secluded, safe, and open roads near you, that allows you to really turn up the power. I can't imagine clocking the speeds that you mentioned anywhere around Charlotte, (except for maybe the Charlotte Motor Speedway, with it's high banks).

This all reminds me of an event that happened last year. Apparently, Lexus loaned one of their Super Cars to Kyle Bush to drive for a few days. Of course he took it out, and got himself ticketed for driving 125 mph in a 45 mph zone (two lane road) near a major residential area.

I love driving fairly fast in cars that are designed for it. But seeing him get dragged through the mud on the local news for a couple of months, really made me aware of how quickly things can go south on you if you start thinking with your right foot. 140 to 160 mph in cars like these can get you in DEEP trouble. I'm the furthest thing possible from being a Kyle Bush fan. But I could absolutely see myself in that same position, (but without Joe Gibbs Racing and/or NASCAR to bail my butt out).

Sounds like you're having a blast; as well you should. I absolutely believe that you should Show it off, and be proud.

But above all else, be careful.

Take Care Buddy!

Last edited:
Thanks Michael I was at Road Atlanta and what fun, that is my kind of track, fast. I have hit over the speed limit but in that car on the street you really have to be careful. It is hard to drive on the streets and go slow but that is the fun of it everybody taking pictures and giving you the thumbs up

Bill Waters

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations, Bob d; the only thing(s) preventing there from being 2 SL-Cs in Georgia is the fact that I have an F5 and a V8 Miata in my shop bays to finish before I can make room for it.....

Hope you will post your progress.

Best regards,

Bill

Well another unique experience with the SL-C went to get the emission done and Georgia does not have RCR as a manufacturer listed. After two phone calls to the Ga emission office the problem came down to not having a check engine light. The girl at the emission office said she had never experienced this problem before. i told her it was a kit car and it does not come with one. Have to get a letter from them for non conformance to their specs. I must say she said this is the first time for her to experience this, so what else is new, this car is always the first time for everything here. I am not upset just again loving the fact that I am the only one here in Georgia with this car and facing everything for the first time for all future owners. So to all you guys getting a SL-C, I am forging the path for you and you will not have to face this in the future. The manufacturer was not listed so it was a challenge to get this done. I love having the only car in Georgia which makes owning an SL-C an experience which is unique. When I pulled in I told the emission guy I needed an emission done on the car, he said really and walked around to the back of the car to see if I really had a tag. I cannot tell you how many people do that when I say it is street legal, they always walk around to see. I pulled into the bank the other day and a guy with a Vet looked at the car walked over and said he called his wife to tell her a race car just pulled in, he would take pictures and send them to her to prove it, of course the usual,, what is this , how fast does it go and the first time I ever had someone say this, what do you do with this. I thought are you kidding me you are driving a Vet and you ask me that, I told him I drive it to the bank every once in a while. He looked at me like what else, I did not say another word. The look on his face was priceless.

Bob D,
Pretty soon there will be several SL-C's running around in Florida. It will make a very interesting gathering as we are all within a reasonable distance from one another..
Can't wait for it to happen!

Great job, leading the way for others in GA.

Back