P2304

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Now that I am getting some miles on the car I am hunting down air leaks that I can't address on a roller as I don't get hot air intrusion on a roller!

I have been fabricating some seals using closed cell foam, the stuff that much computer equipment comes packed in. I have also used plain old Styrofoam as well.

The "B" pillar bulkhead is a major source of hot air. It comes via the shift rod tunnel that is unused on a LHD car but is open to the area behind the seats and thus to the engine compartment. A seal cut to the shape of the opening with beveled edges pushes right in and retains itself. I cut cardboard patterns to test and then used them a patterns to cut the foam. A serrated knife or hacksaw blade work well to cut and shape the foam.

Another hot air pump is the center console where the parking brake handle is. It also is open to the engine bay.

The blocks of foam will need slots cut in them to allow them to be installed over the shift cables, brake lines etc. but the foam will mould itself around the cables, etc. and provide at least a 90% seal.....much improved over 0%!!!

My apparent vapor lock issues are the result of low pressure caused by a clogged fuel filter from the debris in the tanks. A relatively easy fix.

AC Seal Kit, Linkage Kit, Rear Clip Strut all on order. I'll enjoy it for the week while waiting on some of these parts and get it further sorted next week. We addressed some of the air intrusion issues today, so we'll see how well those work and what else could be done.

I actually have temporary mufflers on right now waiting for my set to come from polishing. Front needs a little alignment. Wheel weights came off one wheel. And a few other minor things to sort out.

Overall the "sorting" phase has been quite short so far considering how many things had to come together on the car. We'll see what other surprises come up to extend the phase :)

More photos, videos, and details about the install will be added as soon as I have a bit more time to assemble something.

I can't say enough times how thrilled I am with this car. Very fun.

- Jeff

Mike,

You said something about liking the driving lights on my car. I have no idea why mine are the way they are instead of what I see on most Superformance GT40s. I think maybe the extra wide tail "Gulf" version comes this way? I admit, I like it too. They are also very bright. I have no headlights right now (a parts issue) so drove home at night with just the driving lights. While not recommended long term - worked in a pinch.

- Jeffrey

Jeff,
Your car is looking great. To the best of my knowledge, that light OPTION was called the Lemans Fog Light option. Yours must of got checked by someone. I ordered the same option on my Mk1 with the standard tail.
Tell me about your Firefly pipes, did you happen to run the car before and after or even better, any dyno results.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Checking my notes I think you said something about Le Mans Fog Lamps a long time ago. There was no such option on my order sheet. I did not specify it, but somehow I lucked out. I do like the look.

But I guess it explains my headlight problem. Headlights did not come with the car. They were sent separately. After I got them I was told they are the wrong headlights for my car. Now I understand why. If you have the Le Mans style fog lights, you need to have a dual bulb headlamp so the low beam can be switched out for a colored bulb and become the front turn signal indicator. Is that how your front turn signal is set up?

I did no dyno work pre/post installation on FireFly Headers. Ron Roberts of FireFly claims a 30hp improvement on a similar GT40 he set up. I have no idea of the validity of the claim and don't really care :) I purchased the pipes primarily for their incredible look and craftsmanship. And they do look incredible. They do become gold after use and require significant work to restore them back to silver color. Apparently after they cycle gold a few times, it becomes less and less pronounced and the amount of maintenance lessens. They are bigger and have a larger opening where they mount up to the exhaust manifold, so I imagine there is a chance they improve HP. I really had no need to mount up the originals, dyno, mount up the FireFly and dyno again. Not entirely trivial to fit them. Plus, not so sure I really want to put my chassis through two dyno runs since I really don't care that much. The power is already way more than I will ever be skilled enough to use. However, I do not find the car at all over powered for normal driving. It drives very easy if that's what's asked of it.

- Jeff

Ok, I really am a newbie idiot. I've been complaining that the shift linkage is a bit of a mess. Well, last night I figured out half the problem. Me. It definitely helps to know R,2,4 are up and 1,3,5 are down. Yep, go ahead and laugh at me - I deserve it.

I have not driven it much, but I was not especially happy with what I felt were too high of revs at freeway speeds. At 80MPH (indicated) I was at 3000RPM in what I thought was 5th (up to the right). Well, of course that was 4th. Finding 5th down and to the right certainly transformed my freeway experience.

The linkage obviously works much better knowing where the gears are. I still struggle a bit to find 5th - but have only driven it once knowing where the gear actually was. The Olthoff linkage upgrade should really be able to address some of the remaining vagueness in shifting (now that I've fixed the biggest problem - me).

Other things I've learned (none as laughable as the shift pattern)...the AC only comes on when the dash fan is set to a running position (a nice feature!). The radiator auxiliary fan does indeed come on automatically when needed (I run it manually quite a bit anyway because of my pseudo vapor lock issues - that were not vapor lock). The lower spot lights do not come on if the headlights are not switched on (I need to override this since I sometimes like the look of spots on w/o headlights). Running with the side window vents open creates a vacuum that sucks more hot air in from places you do not want it sucked in from. I imagine helicopter vents would create a slight positive pressure to help keep hot engine air out of the cabin.

Our attempts to block hot air into the cabin are helping. More work needs to be done there - and I look forward to the much touted AC Seal Kit to arrive. My expectation is my car will be magically transformed into a meat locker as a result of installing the Seal Kit. :)

The sound of the car is...well amazing. I am running a borrowed set of mufflers that have some sort of catalytic converter built in while I await the polishing of my set. These seem to possibly mute the engine just a touch more than the standard mufflers. Matters not. The sound is incredible. I had a guy come up to me at the gas station yesterday to tell me my engine sounds like it puts out 800hp (my engine is 568hp). The GT40 exhaust note conveys that sense of crazy power - without actually being all that loud. It's more about a note of urgency and anxious power than it is about decibels.

In the real 5th gear :) on the freeway, you can hold a conversation in the car. It's noisy, but not at all overwhelming. If I were to drive it long distances, I might wear ear plugs, but only because I generally like to wear earplugs anytime I am around a bit of unwanted noise. When you step on it (which I have only done relatively gently at this point) there is indeed a fair amount of noise - but not ear splitting.

Oh, and there are rock and pebbles are EVERYWHERE! The AVONs pick up everything. Rocks in and around the fuel fillers. A minor annoyance is rocks making it into the front of the door hinges causing the hinge to scrape paint of a small area (not really visible) when you open the door.

For those that remember my debate over full black vs black w/polished rims, I am very glad I have polished rims against black spokes. Really gives it some depth. Given that I have no stripes of any kind on my car, I really like the polished rims to give the car some dimension. If I were running stripes and roundels, full back rims might give it a more sinister race look. But for my set up I am happy with polished rims.

Thanks for reading my drivel.

- Jeff

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff:

I have the upgraded Olthoff shift linkage and it really does help. You might also ask Dennis if he has a set of dash labels for your switches. They are engraved black plastic and they look nice. His set also includes a label that goes next to the shifter so anyone else who may drive your car in the future will know where the gears are located.

Attachments

• Dash 2.JPG
    Dash 2.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Dash 1.JPG
    Dash 1.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 407
Woodward Dream Cruise. Amazing how big a DeTomaso Pantera looks next to a GT40.

- Jeff

Attachments

• 10497451_10202685509078666_1926796478132752904_o.jpg
    10497451_10202685509078666_1926796478132752904_o.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 522
Looks great, Jeff. Did you decide to put anything on the front nose to help protect the paint?

I have 3M on the leading edges of the nose, leading edges of the dual nostrils, around fuel fillers, in front of rear wheels, top edge of lower side panel where the lazy might scratch the paint on ingress/egress, lower vertical mating surfaces where the rear clip will inevitably rub on closing, and I think a bit around the rear edges of wheel well opening, and maybe one or two other strategic places. Really not very much.

My approach will be to enjoy the car and just repaint when eventually necessary. I find the overall quality of my paint to be about an 8/10 for a street car. It's very nice, but hardly so amazingly spectacular as to worry that a reasonable repaint could not match/exceed what's on the car. I note some very (you have to look REALLY REALLY hard) paint shade differences between the various body parts (rear clip to spider in particular). If a repaint is needed, even if only a section, I don't think it will be that hard to do. I imagine the lower side panels will be the first thing to require such attention. The horizontal seam offers a pretty logical paint break if I ever wanted to attempt just repainting those sections.

Even with just 500 miles on it, there are already one or two places where the Avons have sprayed rocks and pebbles. It's amazing how for some reason I'm totally okay with the prospect of a little use patina showing up on this car. I guess I feel it adds to authenticity some how.

The one thing that makes the eventual wear and tear tolerable is having a great shop supporting the car for me. This is the one thing I would highly recommend for the prospective owner (whether new or used). Having someone I can trust to handle the things I can't makes life mush less stressful. I know that if something happens, my installer will be able to make it as good as new or better for a fair price - this gives me confidence to actually use the car and not worry about little things. Whatever the road throws at it, they can make it right. If I use the car for 5 years and want it back to "as new" condition, they'll be able to get it there.

- Jeff

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
The 3M clear bra product is amazing. With 9,500 miles on my car, there aren't any visible marks on the front nose where I've got the clear bra installed. And nobody notices the product has been installed until I point it out to them.

The only thing better than cruising in a GT40 is watching another GT40 while cruising in a GT40 :)

- Jeff

Attachments

• 11182717_10204252608615175_6796729468252105179_o.jpg
    11182717_10204252608615175_6796729468252105179_o.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 505
I am sorry, but that red car with the Avons and polished BRM lips is absolutely amazing. It looks better than 1083 itself. Jeff, you are a luck man. The blue car is also stunning. I just like the wide hip look with polished BRMs.

Back