P4 v Mk 11

Interesting article in this month's Motorsport magazine by Nigel Roebuck. J6 would love it! It's about the Ferrari P4 and features an interview with Chris Amon who relates telling a press conference that the difference between the P4 and the Mk11 Ford in which he'd won Le Mans was like comparing a thoroughbred with a truck!
Apparently it didn't go down too well with Ford but Amon had been promised a new Ford Mustang for winning Le Mans, as had Bruce McLaren, but neither materialised....
Roebuck also tells how in 1975 the P4 which won Daytona and Monza had been bought by a wealthy Englishman who employed Amon to drive it in anger once more. Roebuck was squeezed into the passenger seat for a few laps. Now that must have been tight as anyone who has seen inside a P4 would know. I wonder who the 'wealthy Englishman' was though....

Hi
That would be 0856 which did win Monza but did not win Daytona. My car 0846 was the Daytona winner and was a P 3/4. The "Wealthy Englishman" was David Clarke not Piper although he probably had something to do with it. The story of my car 0846 is 100+ pages of documentation that Ferrari S.p.A has been aware of for years. Those on the forum who I've come to know if they PM me and agree NOT to diseminate this document or give the link to a third party will get a link to this document if they are interested.
Here's a photo of 0856 and 0846 together at the FCA Concours
last Aug. (0846 is in the forground and 0856,in it's Monza winning configuration, is in the background)

Attachments

• 50541-108-0805_IMG.JPG
    50541-108-0805_IMG.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 357
Blimey! If I had a P4 it would break my heart to sell it...
The Ferrari is, IMHO, one of the best looking racing cars my top six being:
Ford GT40, Ferrari P4, Lola T70, Chevron B8, AC Cobra, Ferrari 312P

I have to agree its one of the most beautiful cars EVER! Someone should consider manufacturing an accurate example. It should be easier to build than a GT40. No carpets, A/C, creature comforts, etc. Anyone know of a builder?

I saw a replica P4 at the Historic Festival at Silverstone about five or six years ago. It looked right, was beautifully built, but had a chevy V8 in the back! Haven't heard of it since though. There is an aluminium bodied replica at 350,000 Euros on this site http://www.carclassic.com/html/DE42.htm
There is also NF developments in Kent, England who make a glassfibre bodied kit. They have a built up one with a Renault V6 for £38,000! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There was a guy who built a P4 replica in England, and took it to a track day to "shake it down" before registration. It burned to the ground that day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I had soome pics somewhere, i'll try to find them.

The pics posted are Neil Forman with their kit - I was having a look at it last week, very good imho using a ferrari v12.

I see from the Lola thread that Fran Hall will be producing a P4 replica. Is there no end to this man's talents? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rob

I will be using this one for my own...348 Ferrari...not quite a V12 but not far off.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 50669-348-toprear.jpg
    50669-348-toprear.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 367

Ron Earp

Admin
I think I'm still impressed with Fran's work regardless of if he replicas that engine or not! Good job Fran, keep it up.

Ron

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have NO doubt what so ever, that if Fran can work the P4 in, it will be VERY nice. As the old saying use to go " The QUALITY goes in, BEFORE the name goes on". I am very impressed with Frans work, and if Bill Hough does the glass work, it can't help but be a winner. Good luck Fran !!!!!
Regards Brian

Back