Patching unused bolt holes in Aluminum

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thx for the concern. I will practice on some scrap 3/16 plate with 1/2” plugs and will use a series of tack welds so plenty of time for cooling.
Cooling wasn’t really one of my issues, other than trying to contain warpage. My Miller Dynasty 200DX AC TIG and air-cooled torch would not generate the heat needed for proper aluminum welds on my RCR. I had to add supplemental heat with MAP gas torch.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Cooling wasn’t really one of my issues, other than trying to contain warpage. My Miller Dynasty 200DX AC TIG and air-cooled torch would not generate the heat needed for proper aluminum welds on my RCR. I had to add supplemental heat with MAP gas torch.
Randy, Thx much. Given the heat sink mass of the chassis, preheating to 200F makes sense. These welds are only going to be tack welds and the patch is not structural so all I need is a little penetration to hold the plug and allow for grinding the tacks flush with chassis. I am going to get a professional to add mounts and bungs to the fuel tanks. I am not taking any chances with crucial welds. Cheers, Randy.

Back