possibly the sickest engine/tran package for an SLC ??

Greetings all. New member, first post.

Long time E60 M5 owner and ready to move to something more...fun.

A friend of mine who lives near has an Ultima GTR with the American Speed LS7. I was seriously considering an Ultima build with the S85 V10, but after speaking with him at length, he's selling his and moving to a SLC.

I'm very familiar with the S85 having rebuilt a large chunk of mine and really think it would be slick in the SLC.

Here's what I have in mind and I've talked a bit with Neel from Apex Speed about the control. We have a few guys on M5board who are working towards modifying the stock DME to run standalone, but I think for the time it would take, a standalone ECU would work better.

- S85 V10
- Schrick Cams
- KMS Dry sump
- head work
- External hydraulic pump to retain the HP VANOS
- Single or twin supercharger
- Low compression pistons
- rev limit to 9k
- Motec M150

Still in the tire kicking stage, but with 600HP NA builds achievable, I think 750HP FI is easily attainable.

For me, nothing beats the sound of this engine.

Surely someone out there has done the S85 before, no?

Inline 6 cylinder engine may be possible but it would require us to make some changes to the chassis and also to create a pair of saddle type fuel tanks to replace the centrally mounted one we use in the SLC...anything is possible in theory.

We would need an engine to test fit and design mounts and an adapter plate to attach to the required transaxle...

fran, would this be able to fit into a SCL vs a inline 6 ? its a VR6 from a VW r32 golf. im thinking that it should be able to. the block appears to be shorther than a v8 or any of the ls series engines that everyone is installing into the SLC, by the looks of it it should fit fine with the turbo to the right, right ?

Attachments

• VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-7.jpg
    VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,932
  • VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-9.jpg
    VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-9.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-18.jpg
    VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-18.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,196
  • VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-19.jpg
    VW-Golf-R32-MK-IV-Turbocharger-Upgrade-Ramspeed-Automotive-19.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
fran, would this be able to fit into a SCL vs a inline 6 ? its a VR6 from a VW r32 golf. im thinking that it should be able to. the block appears to be shorther than a v8 or any of the ls series engines that everyone is installing into the SLC, by the looks of it it should fit fine with the turbo to the right, right ?

No those motors can really sound killer.

It will also fit into our nemesis family of cars

i know you've said alot of times before that anything can fit. you just need to have enough money. so just to be clear, you are you saying that this VR6 motor will fit into the SLC, as well as the nemesis ? is that correct ?

i know you've said alot of times before that anything can fit. you just need to have enough money. so just to be clear, you are you saying that this VR6 motor will fit into the SLC, as well as the nemesis ? is that correct ?

Yes. Both.

Regarding the SLC, you will probably have to send the engine up so they can fabricate the mounts/transaxle plate for it.

I think theres no Problem , had much to do with VR6/R32 in the Past - and they are very compact - i binned all the Stuff i had before i move into my new Shop so i cant test / measure it . Length- and Width-wise should be no Problem - only the Height with the stock Intake can cause some Problems i think...

Yes. Both.

Regarding the SLC, you will probably have to send the engine up so they can fabricate the mounts/transaxle plate for it.

yes, i know, as that would be extremly difficult to program thier cnc, or cutting machines to fab up that plate and mounts with out a motor they dont commonly deal with. They could probably do that for a ls3 or any ls series engine for that matter, since its the most widley used motor out there for slc's but, yeah, that would be pretty killer to have this motor, i think. i just wouldn't want to run the risk of purchasing a motor, and find out that its too wide, or too long, ect.. so thats why im asking every chance i get about every single thing that i can think of, lol

Hi.

As a long time reader, first time poster, I'd like to throw in my choice.

The VW VR6 have been mentioned earlier but with an SL-C one have be a bit bolder and
choose it's big brother, the W12 6.0L engine.

Audi, VW and Bentley all share a W12 engine in different guises, Audi and VW run NA
editions from 420 - 450 hp but Bentley run a twin turbo setup with 580 hp in standard form.

Another point for these engines is size. From what I have seen from different Audi and VW
literature these engines are short, typically 513 mm ( 20.2" ) is listed.

The only drawback I can think of is weight, I think they are around 500 lbs.

Jim,
Seems I am the first willing to give the S85 BMW V10 a try in the SLC. I plan on making my own build thread on the build in the near future.. Currently working with Fran and his team on chassis modification and adapter plates/mounts.
So far it seems to be a tight fit. Chassis modifications have already been made and might have to use a saddle type fuel tank.
I totally agree with you. IMO there aren't any engines within the price range of the S85 that sounds remotely close to it. Great combination of power to weight, great sound, high rev, and nice power band. With a nicely opened up exhaust and velocity stacks it will sound beastly!

Jim,
Seems I am the first willing to give the S85 BMW V10 a try in the SLC. I plan on making my own build thread on the build in the near future.. Currently working with Fran and his team on chassis modification and adapter plates/mounts.
So far it seems to be a tight fit. Chassis modifications have already been made and might have to use a saddle type fuel tank.
I totally agree with you. IMO there aren't any engines within the price range of the S85 that sounds remotely close to it. Great combination of power to weight, great sound, high rev, and nice power band. With a nicely opened up exhaust and velocity stacks it will sound beastly!

Daniel,

Very excited, please keep updates coming! Do you mind cross-posting on M5Board? We love this stuff there too.

A lot's changed since I posted that last year. Not sure what the boundaries are for commercial posts here, so I won't push it, but I kind of picked up a side business and have leftover parts from about 28 S85 powered cars. I have 3 engines I'm rebuilding with repaired cranks, so the first thing I'll say is change the rod bearings on your engine with higher clearance bearings or have the rod journals ground another thou to prevent spinning one.

What are your plans for engine control? Let me know if you need a DME (or 20).

Jim,

Really looking forward to this! What are you going to use for engine management?

Jim,

Guess I missed this post!

Been planning on an twin turbo S85 for a while now(with a graz). Seems you beat me to it with an S85 SLC. I hope it doesn't end up being too hard to do. Was a little worried on the Width of the engine, because the top edge of the heads stick out pretty far. The sound alone is a major reason, plus I really like the engine and power delivery, and 8000+rpm is fun.

I have that intake going on a Katech LS3 for my GT-R. I can't wait!

Attachments

• Intake 2.jpg
    Intake 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,334
  • Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 529

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Guess I missed this post!

Been planning on an twin turbo S85 for a while now(with a graz). Seems you beat me to it with an S85 SLC. I hope it doesn't end up being too hard to do. Was a little worried on the Width of the engine, because the top edge of the heads stick out pretty far. The sound alone is a major reason, plus I really like the engine and power delivery, and 8000+rpm is fun.

RJ - welcome to GT40s.com

Please see rule number 2 of our FAQ and make the appropriate changes to your user name.
GT40s.com - FAQ

Thank you..

RJ - welcome to GT40s.com

Please see rule number 2 of our FAQ and make the appropriate changes to your user name.
GT40s.com - FAQ

Thank you..

Randy,

I have seen you post this several times. I am not trying to start anything, but several times it seemed you were taking your rule a bit extreme.

How do you not know that RJ is not what this person is call everyday and is there preferred name. This means it is there name.

I can understand the rule of not using personal handle type names. But if it is the name you use everyday in real life. It is like if some one was born Michael and they put Mike on here.

I personally do not post a lot, I have an account mainly to respond to others builds at this point, as builds my family had planned had to be put on hold for now.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These are not my rules but Ron's rules. Ron owns this forum and is benevolent in allowing us to use it without charge etc. I am in communication with RJ.
Thanks for your concern and understanding..

I have that intake going on a Katech LS3 for my GT-R. I can't wait!
attachment.php

I am all for sick engines, but I have a question.

Mark and Fran: a carbon fiber intake manifold (like the one pictured above) would look really cool in an SLC, but would the carbon fiber survive for long in all the heat and vibration that it would be subjected to back there?

Thanks!

(back to our regularly scheduled program . . . ) :thumbsup:

Back