possibly the sickest engine/tran package for an SLC ??

Gordon Murray Automotive T.50
Cosworth V-12 engine
Notice the 48 volt integrated starter/generator on the front of the engine. It does away with all belts on the engine, it starts the car, it runs the spark plugs, it runs the fan at the rear. It saves several pounds of weight. Up in the nose of the car, they have a 12 volt battery, a 48 volt battery, an inverter and they all weighs less than one 12 volt lead-acid battery.

Gordon-Murray-T.50-Cosworth-V12.jpg

man, they are quite long. i didnt even think of that. maybe the lexus v8 (1uzfe) would be a better fit than a RB26 or 2jz i guess.

I have a 1UZ now. Switched after blowing LS7 and LS1 (LS is great, I just needed a change). The 1UZ is just as tight as an LS. DOHC does that. My engine is built, dry sump and has a large single twin-scroll turbo. About 1000hp when turned up. With my setup, water cooled turbo, water cooled wastegates, oil-water heat exchangers, 6-stage dry sump, huge air-air inter-cooler, 2 electric water pumps, 2 radiators - Its WAY busier than a typical setup and can be a PITA

This setup lacks the low speed punch of the LS7. So may not be as much “fun” around town.

Of coarse when the boost comes on and it can pull to 8000 rpm it’s a rush. But realistically where can you do that on the street. Even in 3rd you can’t just mash the throttle. Of coarse if you live in DFW and stay up late we have miles of road for that if you can avoid the spots the street racers have shut down ;).

I’d say neither is better. Just different.

Build your car to be “your car”.

Frank,
How bout some pictures of the engine compartment with all this cooling PITA plumbing? Don't get to see the Yoter in an SLC ... much.

Sorry for my slow reply. Have not been on in a while. Mine sees little around town driving. When it does it usually involves lights and a discussion about not having plates, insurance, etc. Don't have any great pics that show cooling. Here are some general ones...
56947886641__8C3B9798-A9BA-4FD1-922B-BDD6DE7DB659.JPG
Fitting oil pump and exhaust around the mounts/cross-member.

IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2178.JPG
Motor in with adapter plate

IMG_2390.JPG
Intercooler which sits over the Graz. Fed by the street tail rear scoops. Does a great job of keeping IATs down.

IMG_2402.JPG
Coolant 'hot side' plumbing. Fittings are investment cast at home. If you are familiar with the 1UZ VVTi cooling you will probably realize the number of hoses/pipes/fittings this replaces.

IMG_2821.JPG
Motor ready to stab. Needs to go in without the intake.

IMG_2838.JPG
Sand mold for dry sump oil pan. It's shallow enough the exhaust goes under the pan without hanging below the frame.

IMG_4884.JPG
Spare 1UZ next to the car. I tend to keep one ready. Makes it easier to crank the boost up on the one in the car.

Road & Track has just shed some very interesting light on the engine in the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350!

"The Mustang Shelby GT350 is powered by one of the coolest modern engines: A 5.2-liter naturally aspirated V-8 with a flat-plane crank, allowing it to rev past 8000 rpm. Ford estimates maximum horsepower at 526 ponies, but in reality, it's making closer to 600. Not bad for something without forced induction."(emphasis added)

Road & Track has just shed some very interesting light on the engine in the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350!

"The Mustang Shelby GT350 is powered by one of the coolest modern engines: A 5.2-liter naturally aspirated V-8 with a flat-plane crank, allowing it to rev past 8000 rpm. Ford estimates maximum horsepower at 526 ponies, but in reality, it's making closer to 600. Not bad for something without forced induction."(emphasis added)

Part of the problem with a flat plane crank motor is the larger you go, the more difficult it is to deal with vibration. Often in larger flat plane crank engines, balancing shafts are used. As well as active engine mounts. The benefits are many of course. Better exhaust scavenging and less weight in the crankshaft area resulting in the higher rpm's available. Like all things, it's a trade off.

And speaking of the engine in the GMA T.50, here is a recording of the engine simulating a lap of la Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans.

What would it be like, to have that engine in the SL-C? :)

Listen between 1:25 and 2:35.

T.50 V12 Engine Dyno Simulation - Le Mans

Neil

Supporter
I'm sure that it is a fine engine and its sound appeals to many, but to me it sounds like a chain saw. I'll take the sound of the old Can-Am cars!

I'm sure that it is a fine engine and its sound appeals to many, but to me it sounds like a chain saw. I'll take the sound of the old Can-Am cars!
Can't disagree. To me it sounds painful to listen to. I'm sure in the context of the car it's designed for its wonderful. But the v8 rumble is always a favorite.

Here is a Nissan V8 based on the engine found in a Titan. It's pretty cool especially with the throttle bodies.

The first video talks about the engine and the second shows the complete engine unboxed

That engine is huge!

It's actually very close to the same size as an LS3 except the cylinder heads. The VK56 has twin cam heads and the LS7 uses push rods. This makes the VK56 heads larger and could make fitting one into a SLC a challenge. The is a thread here where the builder is fitting a Mercury Marine engine (based on an LS7 with twin cam heads) and has clearance issues.

If you want a great power plant with way more than enough power to more my GTR along the 2017 Ecoboost Motor with Raptor Twin Turbos and inter cooler setup is just the ticket without modifying one internal part the engine produced 558 HP at 6200 rpm at 14 lbs of boost and when I tell you hit the gas pedal and hold on when the turbos kit in it’s a heck of a lot of fun

Attachments

• 5DE727FB-50CE-4B27-869E-529798A95A6A.jpeg
    5DE727FB-50CE-4B27-869E-529798A95A6A.jpeg
    552.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 35259E2B-F1F7-482C-9031-0CA803AE2F8E.jpeg
    35259E2B-F1F7-482C-9031-0CA803AE2F8E.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 89B88610-B58E-4D8A-94FF-047615EA295F.jpeg
    89B88610-B58E-4D8A-94FF-047615EA295F.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 99FFF3DA-5C03-4B54-B537-37B9247EDC3B.jpeg
    99FFF3DA-5C03-4B54-B537-37B9247EDC3B.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 274
If you want a great power plant with way more than enough power to more my GTR along the 2017 Ecoboost Motor with Raptor Twin Turbos and inter cooler setup is just the ticket without modifying one internal part the engine produced 558 HP at 6200 rpm at 14 lbs of boost and when I tell you hit the gas pedal and hold on when the turbos kit in it’s a heck of a lot of fun

Gen 1 or Gen 2 ecoboost? Hopefully Gen 2...

Back