Quick ratio steering rack for G T Racing chassis (ex MDA kit)

Does anyone know which quick ratio steering racks can be used with the G T Racing GT40 kit (ex MDA kit)?
I would like about 2.0 turn to turn or thereabouts (without limiting the degrees of turn) but also without introducing bump steer.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Remember that a quick ratio steering rack will be heavier on steering effort. A GT40 with big sticky front tyres and a normal rate rack will be heavy at low speed anyway unless you go to power steering. The usual power steering rack used on 40s is the Vauxhall Corsa electric one.
To eliminate bump steer from scratch is a complex business. The simple way is to ensure that any replacement rack is the same length as the original and has the steering arm ball joints in the same location. Otherwise try to ensure that the wishbone pivot points and the steering rack arm ball joints are in the same plane.
For racks try this place

Cheers
Mike

The Mk1 had 2.8 turns lock to lock with 37 ft turning circle, Mk2 had 2.25 lock to lock with 34 ft turning circle, Neither had P.S. options and the turning circle would depend on tire width/dia along with wheel offset. You need to consider all these and other factors when contemplating your 2 turns lock to lock rack.

Ok. More complicated than i first thought.
Thanks Mike, thanks Jac. I have written to Kiley Clinton and waiting their reply.
Meantime even 2.25 lock to lock would be ok (provided improved turning circle).
I will Keep you advised if I learn anything new.
Thanks guys.

Glenn M

Supporter
Ok. More complicated than i first thought.
Thanks Mike, thanks Jac. I have written to Kiley Clinton and waiting their reply.
Meantime even 2.25 lock to lock would be ok (provided improved turning circle).
I will Keep you advised if I learn anything new.
Thanks guys.

Just to add to the complications, as Jac points out, you cannot compare steering turns lock to lock between different cars/manufacturers which have different pick up points, geometries, wheels and tyres. For instance, I do know that my Southern GT has a tighter turning circle than a GTD.
Like you, I too decided that I wanted quicker steering but could not find an aftermarket rack of the correct length (ie to not affect the complete lack of bump steer on the SGT), so I went the route of having a new rack and pinion made to fit the same steering rack. It is now a perfect rate for track work, corrections are now just the merest flick of the wrists, but using your specs you would disagree as it is 2.5 turns lock to lock, but, as I said, it has a large lock, small turning circle.
Interestingly, despite being quick, I do not find it overly heavy manoeuvring and parking (my other half drives it too without problem), which leads me to say that in my experience, with my car, I do not understand the need to fit power steering. I guess it just proves the point that they are all different.
Incidentally, I wouldn't expect that changing the rack will improve your turning circle, normally it is the wheel/ tyre fouling which limits it. What rack does the MDA use as standard?

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Or just order one from Titan Motorsports made to your spec.

I think mine was in the £800 region for my 917K build year or two ago.

Good luck.
Morten

If it has a bolt-on steering arm, a custom (shorter) one might be the simplest path.

What Bob said :)

I have the alloy front uprights from MDA on my GTD & used this method to 'wake up' the steering. Much easier and cheaper than modifying the steering rack. If it's any use I'll try & dig out some photos.

Kind regards
Julian

I have a RCR ferrari P4 kit and am looking for a right hand drive rack, the car is now a lefty. Might someone reading this know the origin of the rack used, ... or know of one available? Though the right side is narrower I still wish to move to the right and will make a proper seat. Thanks ! Chips

Chris Kouba

Supporter
If a call to RCR won't help you, try calling Unisteer/Maval. They at least made the tie rods:

Thanks Chris. I will try them as well. I got a reply from Titan so will follow up with all to see what the deal is....
thanks

Yet another Chris here, with a request for a Right Drive steering rack for an RCR kit. I have the ferrari P4 and tried looking at Right Drive racks at Unisteer and Heidts, but can't seem to find a Heidts 064BS-004 RD manual rack photo to compare. If anyone has switched (or is interested in switching ) from Right Drive to a left, I have an unused rack for you, just need a replacement.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
(I) tried looking at Right Drive racks at Unisteer and Heidts, but can't seem to find a Heidts 064BS-004 RD manual rack photo to compare.

Your best bet is to pick up the phone and talk to someone at Unisteer/Maval. I do believe they were RCR's OE suppliers and may still be. I would bet they can assist you as I doubt it's something in their catalog.

Other Chris

Neil

Supporter
If I remember correctly, a Porsche has its steering shaft in the center so it can be used either way by a jog left or right with two universal joints. Use GOOD u-joints such as Borgeson and phase them correctly.

Make sure the steering wheel rotation points the front wheels in the right direction. ;)

The STP turbine Indy car was revealed to the press at a big event where the big doors were rolled back and the STP car was driven out of the hanger- right into the edge of one of the doors. The collision was embarrassing to say the least. Someone had installed its steering rack upside down!

That's hilarious, ... but also sad. Thanks ( other Chris and Neil) for the info over the manufacture of the rack they use and idea of a central rack. Using a few u-joints is safer than the solid shaft, but often offers a bit of unwanted slop in the column. I had a customer who flipped his steering rack over to have his car become a RHDrive Morris Minor. It was very entertaining to drive. He said it was theft proof !

Neil

Supporter
That's why I recommended using Borgeson u-joints. They have VERY little play.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you spoken to Rally Design
but that may reduce lock.

this may be interesting to look into

ian

Back