RCR #010 Build Progress

Bill,

Congrates on being in the home stretch, that's awesome news. You gotta be getting pretty excited.

Quick question: where did you get the mirrors from? They look really nice on the car!:D

WOW Bill, I just looked at your build for the first time in a while and it is amazing!!! You are doing the perfect job and it looks great. Please keep it up.

Steve

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
So Bill, your guy is ahead of schedule ;) Why are the paint guys always the ones that are the worst at getting things done when they tell you?

It will be stunning once they actually finish it, bummer to have to wait, but that is part of the pain of dealing with the paint shops.

Sandy

I've got a set of NOS (real) Vitaloni California Mirrors, not the new plastic repros,(which I have a RH one of those too) if interested PM me as I have no use for them.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Darn, I saw the activity and was hoping you has some good news from the painter!

I don't think the racing tires go by that, it's width, circumference, and rim size or some variant of that order. In any case they are not rim huggers like a 35 series tire, they have a nice tall sidewall. Check out some of the racing sites and you can see some of the different sizes. Mine are a bit taller and narrower then Bills. Lot's of meat in either case.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
As Bill says PRICE, also they are Racing Tires and really would not be great for street use if more then just tooling around, more over they are not DOT approved (and likely not as durable as street tires) so if a cop pulls you over and doesn't love the GT40 might be a problem.

But they look really good!

Sandy

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You guys should probably take this tire discussion to another thread - but as long as I've polluted it with yet another message - :D - you guys are going to absolutely HATE what those race tires are going to do to your lovely paint jobs....

Me again...

I tried to work out the aspect ratio from the picture where you repainted the tire scripts. I got near as makes no difference 35... which is obviously wrong. Maybe someone could correct what i've done? I did:

((A+B)/C)x100
=((2+2)/11)x100
=36.36

P.S I'm sorry for this hijacking Bill. I'll try to make up for it with an amazing, high quality diagram...

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 771
An easier method is as follows

Tire diameter = 26
Wheel diameter = 15
Sidewall = 26 - 15 = 11/2 = 5.5 (139.7mm)
Tread width = 15 (381mm)
Aspect ratio = 139.7mm / 381mm = 36.7%

You were pretty close

Yeah I realise how I could have done that now you mention it bill... i think my way was more fun though...! (although I did an entirely wrong calculation!) So there Sandy!!

Joe

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I should have qualified by saying 35 series on 22" roller!

Bill any new info on the paint?

Sandy

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
So Bill, your guy is ahead of schedule ;) Why are the paint guys always the ones that are the worst at getting things done when they tell you?

It will be stunning once they actually finish it, bummer to have to wait, but that is part of the pain of dealing with the paint shops.

Sandy

Fumes.

Here is the latest news

The body fitment continues and is moving quickly thanks to Fran helping my painter work through some isses (thanks again Fran). I hope to pick up the chassis around Sept 1. I then have 4 weeks to disassemble the chassis, paint it black, polish the suspension, and then build it up less the body (running gokart).

We will then go back up and install the body and the windshield at the painter. After that, I'll need about a week to install the lights, windows, etc.

Lloyd at RBT called yesterday and said my rebuilt ZF will be done in 4 days.

Things are finally coming together. I have also been researching original stickers/dcals that new cars have, such as coolant specs, emmissions, etc. I'm sure even GT40 road cars had something.

Bill D

Back