RCR #010 Build Progress

It's been awhile since I had any news to report. But this past weekend I drove up to see the painter to discuss the door latch issue. While there, I took some pictures...

The rear clip is now mounted and aligned, They had some issues which required re-drilling the pivot mounting plate on the inner splash panels. Now the clip sits perfectly

gt40_paint003.jpg

paintvisit%20006.jpg

I bought some really cool rear clip retaining brackets from Ron McCall. I trimmed them to fit my car, welded them together, and then had the painter install them on the rear bulkhead. They are fitted with hood pins that will keep the rear clip securely closed

bracket_001.jpg

bracket_002.jpg

I purchased a set of replica rear brake cooling ducts from Bill Hough. They have now been installed, but not glassed in yet

rear%20brake%20ducts.jpg

The front clip has been a real bear. Once the front steel structure was moved to make the clip sit straight with the body, the clip hit the windshield on the right side. This was corrected by cutting out 3/4" of the front clip and the reglassing it back together. Now it fits perfectly. You can see in the photo where it was glassed back together

gt40_paint002a.jpg

Doors have been hung. The passenger door is finished, but the driver's door still needs tweaking.

paintvisit%20007.jpg

We took measurements of the door to rear bulkhead. I'm going to fabricate some striker bolt mounts. Pictures to follow when done.

Cheers
Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the update there Bill....

I bet you really missed your car!!! I know I would...

I like the clip retaining brackets.. How will they work with your secondary bulkhead walls that you made - any interference?

I'm a good year away from having to worry about that on mine...

Last edited:
Bill, do you think that all the welding you did on the front structure some how warped the metal? The reason I asked is that my front clip fit very well and it didn't need any trimming. If I would have trimmed that much off the clip it would have resulted in something else not fitting later. I heard you have an excellant body man so I hope it works out. The car will be back home in your care very soon. :D

Today, I made a couple of striker bolt mounts for the doors.

I did some searching on the Internet and came up with a really cool solution that accomplishes what I want - functionality and aesthetics.

I purchased two die cast aluminum boxes from Bud Industries (P/N CU-124). The box measures 2.37" wide x 4.67" long x 1.21" deep. Next, I purchased two Bear Claw striker bolt mounts (P/N BCL-2) since the striker bolt mounts do not come with the RCR kit.

So here is what I started with...an aluminum box and a mounting plate

striker%20bolt%20002.jpg

I removed the backing plate and floating nut from the striker plate, drilled a hole in the box lid for the striker bolt, and then installed the backing plate and floating nut onto the back side of the box lid with 4 1/8" pop rivets.

striker%20bolt%20003.jpg

And presto!!

striker%20bolt%20004.jpg

The striker bolt mounting hole is offset to allow the builder to position the striker bolt for variations in door fitment, plus the fine adjustment of the floating nut. The box will be powdercoated satin black. It will be attached to the bulkhead with 8-32 machine screws and nutserts. This allows removal of the nutplate and/or adjustments without having to reach inside the rear clip.

Now it's off to the powdercoater :)

Bill D

Bill, you keep coming up with these clever solutions to the myriad of little problems that can plague a GT40 builder. That is an elegant solution. Personally, I think the door hardware installation and door alignment process is the most tedious task I've encountered in my build.

Well done.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I like the plan Bill.. Might even swipe it for mine...

The only thing I would do different is to use studs welded to a plate from the back-side of the bulkhead. Nutserts are fine but not for things that are structural or are going to take any kind of abuse (like door opening / closing / slamming)..

My $.02 worth..

Again - you are going to have one very awesome Forty there my friend...

Latest progress thanks to a friend who was kind enough to take a bunch of pictures for me while he was at the paint shop to get his FFR Cobra...

I had Ken open up and smooth the two small NACA ducts on the front clip. They are going to be used to direct fresh air to the cabin
paint%20023.jpg

I also had Ken add some ducts to attach 2-1/2" AC hose. The hoses are attached the blast gates on the tub, which are activated by push-pul cables
paint%20018.jpg

Here you can see the one hose attached
paint%20024.jpg

The front clip all fitted
paint%20015a.jpg

A couple of more
paint%20016.jpg

paint%20017.jpg

paint%20013.jpg

Bill

I was planning to open the ducts on my RCR40 when it arrives as well. Do you have a plan for water ingress? A small drain tube? I noticed the air hose picks up above the fibreglass collector floor so water will not come streaming in but it may need to be drained out of the fibreglass collector. Hope this was not already covered!

Back